Vegans/Vegetarians

Being put under anesthesia and having a procedure is different than having a rubber band tied around your nuts so they die and fall off. And like I said, there's more than what I listed.

The thing is, no one is going to be perfect. Me choosing to not eat meat but wearing kangaroo doesn't make me a hypocrite as long as I'm humble about it. If I can take steps to reduce supporting cruel things, I'm going to take as many as I can. I can't take them all, but I try.

No, it definitely makes you a hypocrite, and being "humble" doesnt erase it.
Being a self-aware hypocrite stops you from being a douche, though.

Lol...don't make me copy this whole thread or you know...just undelete it

Whoa, you can do that?! I would necromance crazy threads from the past every once in awhile just to fuck with everyone. Oh yes..

Except for the fact that the 'knocking unconscious' doesnt always work. And we have no idea what its like to die in our sleep.

I know what it is like to have myself cut open and my organs moved around during surgery. I never felt any pain until I woke, and then I was feeling a lot of it instantly.

No, it definitely makes you a hypocrite, and being "humble" doesnt erase it.
Being a self-aware hypocrite stops you from being a douche, though.

Why does it make me a hypocrite? If I said everyone who did it was a bad person and that I was a good person, I would be a hypocrite. Until then, I'm just making an effort to reduce the negativity I support in the world. If we lived in a perfect world where cutting off from everything entirely was possible, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But it's not so simple.

I know what it is like to have myself cut open and my organs moved around during surgery. I never felt any pain until I woke, and then I was feeling a lot of it instantly.

Holy fuck, this was a prime Cro Cop LHK of a post.
When you're on, you're on.

Why does it make me a hypocrite? If I said everyone who did it was a bad person and that I was a good person, I would be a hypocrite. Until then, I'm just making an effort to reduce the negativity I support in the world. If we lived in a perfect world where cutting off from everything entirely was possible, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But it's not so simple.

Being a hypocrite isnt about "good" or "bad", or your judgement of others, it's about ignoring a facet of yourself and focusing on another; like reaping the benefits one thing's suffering while having issue with the suffering of another.

I'm a massive hypocrite for not eating veal, but eating young chickens.
It has nothing to do with me saying people who do one or the other are "bad"

Holy fuck, this was a prime Cro Cop LHK of a post.
When you're on, you're on.

I also think that if dying in your sleep was painful, the pain would actually wake you a little before dying. So it technically wouldn't be dying in your sleep. A cow is totally out though and can't be woken. I could personally never kill a cow though or want to see it happen. I was one of those kids who got pissed at guys on nature shows for letting a lion rip a gazelle's throat out. "Why are you letting him do that?!" lol

DS serious question

For the people that do make the suffering argument and attempt to limit suffering to animals but perhaps aren't conscious of people in the third world, you say that makes them a hypocrite.

Is it better or worse in your eyes to just not attempt to limit suffering to either animals or people when you are aware of the problem?

edit: I see your reply to Slick, I think you answered it.

I've seen plenty a cow give birth, so I kind of have to murder one just to even it out.

DS serious question

For the people that do make the suffering argument and attempt to limit suffering to animals but perhaps aren't conscious of people in the third world, you say that makes them a hypocrite.

Is it better or worse in your eyes to just not attempt to limit suffering to either animals or people when you are aware of the problem?
That's a good question
Anyone who tries to limit suffering is noble, but theyre probably hypocrites.
I don't mean that as a slur, its just hard to limit the suffering of everyone and everything.

But I'm a hypocrite, so maybe I'm full of shit lol

Being a hypocrite isnt about "good" or "bad", or your judgement of others, it's about ignoring a facet of yourself and focusing on another; like reaping the benefits one thing's suffering while having issue with the suffering of another.

I'm a massive hypocrite for not eating veal, but eating young chickens.
It has nothing to do with me saying people who do one or the other are "bad"

Being a hypocrite is saying one thing and doing another. Merriam-Websters Dictionary defines hypocrisy as a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion. I'm not perfect, no one is. But trying to take steps in the right direction is not hypocrisy.

so that's whats on that onion network stuff they talk about in the DEEP web thread...

Fool, it's called America.
If you want to see a cow give birth, or if you're feeling extra rapey, I doubt you have to far to find one.

Well, two, unless you're...
Eww

Being a hypocrite is saying one thing and doing another. Merriam-Websters Dictionary defines hypocrisy as a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not; especially : the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion. I'm not perfect, no one is. But trying to take steps in the right direction is not hypocrisy.

Yeah, but this implies meat eaters are on the wrong direction. Which could come off bad. I know posters like you and Ocean Size though, and I know you're not arrogant or self-righteous, but these kind of comments could annoy other people.

But afterward:
Yum, brrrroo

That's a good question
Anyone who tries to limit suffering is noble, but theyre probably hypocrites.
I don't mean that as a slur, its just hard to limit the suffering of everyone and everything.

But I'm a hypocrite, so maybe I'm full of shit lol

I was curious because you usually have some point I didn't consider, but to me it seems like a tu quoque fallacy to say its better to be logically consistent by helping neither instead of picking a pet cause and being inconsistent (hypocrite). But yeah sometimes people are self-congratulating blowhard about it or act like their one act makes them a perfect enlightened being and that gets old.

It's like this time someone was chastizing me for volunteering at the humane society when they said I could be at the boys & girls club.. yet they didn't volunteer at all. Not to pretend i'm a do-gooder, I only volunteered there like twice.

Yeah, but this implies meat eaters are on the wrong direction. Which could come off bad. I know posters like you and Ocean Size though, and I know you're not arrogant or self-righteous, but these kind of comments could annoy other people.

I'm sure it does come off arrogant but mostly because it stirs guilt or the assumption of guilt in people. I couldn't care less if anyone else doesn't live the way I do. We all have our different paths. I mean, God gave His blessing on eating them. How could I possibly tell anyone they shouldn't? I just do what I think is right in my path. The only thing I ask is that others simply evaluate their paths as well.

Hold on, OS, I never said it "better" to help neither, I just said helping one and not the other makes you a hypocrite, the same way helping neither and being aware of both makes you a hypocrite

Back