Vegans/Vegetarians

And this is sort of just a personal thing for me. I hate the additives in meat, the hormones, the antibiotics, etc. I was reading up on Rastafari philosophy and I like the idea of eating life instead of death. It made a lot of sense. I try to live like a Nazarite and one of the vows is not touching the dead. I've never been picky with food and big meals are out of the question for me, actually had my gallbladder out earlier this year. Eating small portions of nutritious food throughout the day just feels right to me.

And that's not even touching the subject of animal abuse in the food industry. It's some barbaric shit that's hard to think about. This definitely isn't something for everyone. I'm just trying to limit myself and learn discipline. As well as learning to cook for myself and learn exactly what's going in to my body and what it does. It started as an experiment but I'm getting more in to it with every day and every thing learned.

Enjoy the best of both worlds by eating alot of vegetables and fiber while also having moderate amounts of animal protein.

You know you can eat meat without all of that in it, right?
Grassfed beef is fucking delicious and great for you. Foster Farms doesnt genetically enhance their chickens.

Most of the grains and veggies you're eating are chemically treated as well. Probably more so than your meat.

It's your decision, but dont make one based on hyperbolic half-truths.

Sounds like you're just transferring to a healthy lifestyle in general. You could be eating chicken and lean pork and still be feeling the way you are.

But if you're not for moral reasons, keep at it.

I've heard a lot of people swear by the Hemp Force protein, though it's pricey.
https://www.onnit.com/hemp-force/

Get some eggs in your diet as well.

Yeah I definitely considered eating chicken and fish still. It's definitely not as bad as beef and pork as far as abuse goes. But it's still pretty fucked up and I'm going to make a real attempt to avoid it if possible. In the end, I'm probably going to continue drinking milk and eating eggs. Maybe even kill a deer once or twice every couple years and make a big event out of it.

And I would be all for supporting any hemp products as much as I could. I'll definitely look in to it.

PS: Cut back on the weed bro

Yeah I definitely considered eating chicken and fish still. It's definitely not as bad as beef and pork as far as abuse goes. But it's still pretty fucked up and I'm going to make a real attempt to avoid it if possible. In the end, I'm probably going to continue drinking milk and eating eggs. Maybe even kill a deer once or twice every couple years and make a big event out of it.

And I would be all for supporting any hemp products as much as I could. I'll definitely look in to it.

Once again, Grassfed beef is far from abusesive. It's expensive though.
Stay away from farmed fish.

Lmao, I've smoked one ounce in the past 12 months. I think I'm alright.

Damn bro, you're on that high spiritual level then.
I read that Rastafari post and was like "Woah, this ninja is seein' buffalo soldiers when he closes his eyes"

I wonder if the cow thinks its abusive.. When its getting its throat slit.

I wonder if a corn crop thinks it's abusive as you mow it down with gigantic blades.
I wonder if the trees cut down to roll your joints thought it was abusive as they were chopped down from their many years of life, growth and prosperity.

I wonder if a corn crop thinks it's abusive as you mow it down with gigantic blades.
I wonder if the trees cut down to roll your joints thought it was abusive as they were chopped down from their many years of life, growth and prosperity.

Probably not, considering everything we know about conscious thought tells us it comes from the brain.. And neither trees nor corn crops have brains.

Probably not, considering everything we know about conscious thought tells it it comes from the brain.. And neither trees nor corn crops have brains.

They're still living organisms.
You have no problem killing something that doesnt think outright?

What's your stance on complexity of thought?
Would you prefer murdering a baby to a scholar?

They're still living organisms.
You have no problem killing something that doesnt think outright?

What's your stance on complexity of thought?
Would you prefer murdering a baby to a scholar?

Living organisms that as far as we know dont think, and dont feel pain. Its not really the same as comparing that to levels of complexity of thought.

And, I dont know whether or not it is right or wrong to kill animals, or plants for that matter. The logic we use to say why its wrong to kill humans tells me its also wrong to kill animals. Most meat eaters seem to be convinced that they KNOW there is nothing wrong with it. If you say hey it might be wrong but I dont know and dont care, thats cool. But when you say its not wrong, then Ive got a problem.

Living organisms that as far as we know dont think, and dont feel pain. Its not really the same as comparing that to levels of complexity of thought.

And, I dont know whether or not it is right or wrong to kill animals, or plants for that matter. The logic we use to say why its wrong to kill humans tells me its also wrong to kill animals. Most meat eaters seem to be convinced that they KNOW there is nothing wrong with it. If you say hey it might be wrong but I dont know and dont care, thats cool. But when you say its not wrong, then Ive got a problem.

The cow is not thinking or feeling pain either. It is knocked unconscious and then has its throat cut. The actual death is perceptionless. It's like dying in your sleep. There is no pain, so the argument that the cow has a nervous system and the plant doesn't, doesn't hold water here.

I don't know it's wrong, because "Wrong" is wholly subjective.

Do you feel the same regret killing an ant or a spider as you would eating a steak? I sure as hell dont, and they both live, breathe and think.

That said, a steak serves a purpose to my body and i feel great eating it, which is actually a far more proactive use to me than if i kill a pesky ant walking around the desk that came from a long-standing tree someone chopped down to make.

Being alive comfortably means that something is dying or suffering to ensure your comfort.
So do i feel for a cow more than an ant? Sure, i definitely do.
Does it make eating that cow "Wrong". Maybe.

That said, i'm not enough of a hypocrite to wear a pair of Nike's and a shirt made in Vietnam under surely sub-par conditions by a woman struggling to feed her family on a couple of dollars a day and shed a tear for a grassfed cow fed well and killed quickly for the purpose of giving me a meal.

So i agree with your sentiment that you don't know it's right or wrong, but that's something not you, me or anyone who has ever had their comfort ensured by the suffering of others can honestly comment on.

The cow is not thinking or feeling pain either. It is knocked unconscious and then has its throat cut. The actual death is perceptionless. It's like dying in your sleep. There is no pain, so the argument that the cow has a nervous system and the plant doesn't, doesn't hold water here.

Except for the fact that the 'knocking unconscious' doesnt always work. And we have no idea what its like to die in our sleep.

Why dont we ask someone...
oh wait.

Damn bro, you're on that high spiritual level then.
I read that Rastafari post and was like "Woah, this ninja is seein' buffalo soldiers when he closes his eyes"

Lmao speaking of Rastafari buffalo soldiers. Growing up, I always fascinated by Samson. As I got older, I understood more and more what it meant for him to be a Nazarite. Turns out the dreads, the diet, and the sobriety of the Rastafari is all to keep up with the Nazarite vow. If the Rastas weren't so much about race and Hallie Selassie. I would be all over it.

But another thing I have a fascination with is the buffalo. You could call it my spirit animal, seems to follow me everywhere. I associate it with the strength and pride of Samson. Giant hairy beast of the plains. So when I was looking to buy my first piece, I wanted something that fit me. And then I found this..
2011-09-08192734-3.jpg
I named it Samson. And remember this is before I ever researched the Rastafari or the Nazirites. It was destiny lol.

Good for you, slick. Even more so your dietary pragmatism regarding animal proteins and the eschewing of specific dogma. I always looked at dietary practices like religious practices: it's good to have a framework but you can't get hung up on certain things if they don't work for you.

I've done vegetarian lent before but vegan is no joke. I won't poo-poo it but I was out of my fucking mind after ten days.

One of the biggest benefits of vegetarianism is that you increase fruits and veg out of necessity, resulting in better absorption of vitamins and minerals, increased fiber intake and less processed foods in general. Sort of like a simple man's detox. You'll pick and choose your proteins more wisely as a result.

Once you're eating naturally clean, you'll be able to listen to your body a lot easier and more truthfully.

Again, good luck to you.

being vegetarian doesn;t give you clearer thoughts or more energy so don't imply or flat out say such silly things

Back