USA Today - Coach may have doomed Ronda Rousey's fight, career

She looked like a punching bag out there.

I don't believe that level of striking atrociousness is just coach's fault. That has to be inherent after fighting for what 5-6 years professionally. I'm sure she worked with legit boxing coaches. And then she would do this:

ykl2K0.gif

If she doesn't ditch that con artist then the person to blame is her. At the very least if she must keep that parasite then she needs to bring in real coaches and give them control of her training.

I'd really like to see Floyd train her if he's for real. Him and his father would greatly improve her lack of defense.

Not saying she will win her next fight but she won't be a punching bag that's for sure.

she isnt good enough to make use of the mayweathers training her.

she just needs to get with a coach that can teach her the fundamentals. she is literally at the very beginning of learning how to box. like the coach needs to get her jumping rope first and move forward from there.

she isnt a gem that needs polishing, she is green and needs to unlearn whatever crap edmund taught her and start over.

Imagine what someone like Greg Jackson could have done with Ronda if she walked into his gym 5 years ago. I'm a huge Ronda hater and I couldn't be happier for her 2nd humiliating loss last night, but real talk she has all the tools and potential to be great with good coaching and solid gameplans.

Honestly though just carrying on fighting the way he was earlier in her career still might have been good enough to stay undefeated, he's basically turned an excellent Judoka into a sloppy brawler.

To me Rousey has always given the impression of having some serious mental issues and I wouldn't be supprised of Edmond has exploited this to the full basically worming his way into a dominate position and casting anyone outside as the enemy.

Is is kind of embarrising that someone like Edmond can rise so high in MMA. I'd say partly because most high level MMA fighters come into the sport already having elite skills so a fraud can get away with not helping them much.

Edmond is supposed to be a striking coach, but Ronda is horrible on the feet. I mean she looks incredibly awkward and presents no semblance of defensive knowledge. So people are right to point the finger at him.

It's either his poor training, or Ronda just doesn't have the aptitude to pick up proper striking. I'd argue the former, because he seemingly detuned other decent strikers under his tutelage. And he's the only striking coach Ronda has ever known.

It's right to blame him because her training looked bad and he never corrected it.

Like that padwork gif where she was supposed to duck, but he just swings the mitt over her head without making her move.

Why does Ronda look decent when she's practicing with pads and horrible fight time? Does she not spar or what?

The responsibility ultimately falls on Ronda. After all, it is her career, her health and well being, and her legacy. She's a grown woman, but I'm surprised no one around her has been able to break through with her and separate her from Edmund. Her fundamentals from top to bottom are absolutely atrocious, she has been allowed to develop bad habits an then praised for those bad habits. Edmund surely should have seen these flaws in her sparring sessions and worked to fix them, not allowing her to think those habits are allowable in a combat situation. Yes, a lot of this falls on Edmund as a trainer, he is a phony and deserves to be outed, possibly beaten by someone who cares for Ronda. Go look at the videos of Cus and Mike Tyson, that is what a true trainer is. Look at how Mike trains and how it directly carries over into his bouts through countless hours of repetition of correctly taught technique,the exact opposite of Ronda and Edmund. At the end of the day though, Ronda just isn't cut out to be a high level striker, some people have it, some people don't.

i think ronda is about ready to take her ball and go home. somebody just needs to shoop in the ball

axpyc8tonrf8iypluemn.jpg

People are trying to create a scapegoat for Ronda. When she was on top, she was an "once in a lifetime athlete." Now that she is down, it is the coach who is to blame.
i guess it's "thrice in a lifetime" now.

Why does Ronda look decent when she's practicing with pads and horrible fight time? Does she not spar or what?
The mental state of hitting pads as opposed to a combat situation where you are in danger of being harmed changes dramatically, changing the game. She lacks basic mental focus, mostly because she is out of her element, because the whole "boxer" persona is being forced, rather than just relying on her bread and butter.

I don't think she ever spars, no. Just pad work.

i think ronda is about ready to take her ball and go home. somebody just needs to shoop in the ball

axpyc8tonrf8iypluemn.jpg
Looks like she dove for a volley ball, and it hit her in the head and bounced off.

yeah i'll bet edmond is shitting a few bricks right now. dude's gonna be out of a job and unemployable in short time.

People are trying to create a scapegoat for Ronda. When she was on top, she was an "once in a lifetime athlete." Now that she is down, it is the coach who is to blame.
Do you think Edmond is a legitimate striking coach. Yes or no?

Yeah, but even when she was on top, there were questions surrounding this guy's role.

That's normal, they will do the same to Conor next time he taps. Fortunately Conor's BJJ coach doesn't try to make himself part of the story like Edmond.

The reality is Ronda was always a one trick pony, and she never evolved. The guy always standing by her side was the one that was supposed to improve her stand up skill, he's failed miserably.
Difference is Kavanagh is not a terrible coach like Edmond

This is the kind of shet they do in soccer, when the team loses matches they blame the coach.

I don't think she ever spars, no. Just pad work.

She obviously isnt used to getting hit. She isnt as bad as Brock where he turtles up but her entire demeanor and actions change when she takes any hit. That's an important part of sparring, getting hit and working through it.

Back