USA Today - Coach may have doomed Ronda Rousey's fight, career

You should rewatch the clip. He encourages her; he doesn't say "holy f#$%" you're getting your ass kicked." He tells her to move her head, and the clip ends. You don't know what he said for the next 45 seconds or so. ronda certainly has been told for months "move your head", and before Nunes tags her Edmond is shouting repeatedly "move your head." What do you want a trainer to do? She isn't being sucker punched; she's in a cage - knowing that Nunes hits with power. Yet, she doesn't dodge, slip or roll with a single punch.

You could put me in an NHL goal and give me a year of non-stop training, and I'm not stopping anything. Give me the best coach and three years, and I'm still not stopping anything. ronda's eyes-brain-reflexes-head are not in sync for something that takes a fraction of a second. I would be shocked if she could hit a fastball. I doubt she could avoid a high inside pitch - another helpless ko.
The rest of the audio is available. It didn't get any better (both in the Holm fight and the Nunes fight).

He's supposed to train her so that defense comes naturally. It should be muscle memory. He just sucks.

Imagine what someone like Greg Jackson could have done with Ronda if she walked into his gym 5 years ago. I'm a huge Ronda hater and I couldn't be happier for her 2nd humiliating loss last night, but real talk she has all the tools and potential to be great with good coaching and solid gameplans.

he would have turned her into a boring fighter who won her fights by decision.
than she would have never got as popular because she would be harder to market.
the main reason why she got so popular was because she was a "badass" with 100% finishing rate.

now if she had someone like duane ludwig, than she would be amazing.

the usa today article is a fair assessment
but it originally came from nunes herself. striking takes years to learn. for some it takes 2, others it takes 10.
imo ronda needs more than most, because she's never looked good on the pads or in the ring.
its one of those things, she's never had that natural striking movement, rhythm, timing.

so the question is, was she ready to go toe to toe with a great striker?
absolutely not.
and that's a bad game plan. which are implemented by your coaches.

i can tell you, greg jackson or matt hume would never do that.
it's a fact that rousey's armenian coach has very little to no experience in mma.

rousey's striking coach wanted rousey to win by her boxing.
because that's all he knew to teach her.
you can say he was in it to get the credit for her success.

Ronda has done well considering her mental capacity. Ed ain't no "svengali", but he fooled her pretty well.
The UFC has treated her like a doll because she has the IQ of one. I'll take my yellow card now.
She's not coming back, and Ed will be broke and miserable. Everyone wins, sorta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back