Uproar over "The Great Wall"

I hope China makes a movie about early America and casts everyone as Asians except for George Washington who is cast as an Asian man.

I hope they do too. Should cast Chow from the hangover as Washington. Will be a great laugh.

There are already plays about the founding fathers where the whole cast is black. Surprisingly there's no "uproar".

does seem a bit dumb having a round eye in the lead role

This is 100% proof that racism still exist.

Hollywood knows that if the Main Character was an actual Asian. The White population will not go see it thus it would fail in the box office. So they are forced to do such ridiculous things like put a white guy as the main character.

Im not sure if the white population is racist on purpose or subconsciously racist but it's obvious that they love seeing movies where the main character is white......or sometimes black, depending on the type of movie.

If the main character is Latino/asian/middle eastern/etc, it's a guarantee failure because the White Audience won't see it based on that fact alone.

Not mad, she's just being an anti intellectual moron. The reason white people are shown is because these movies are made by white people largely for white people, and the reason they are watched is because they are good films people enjoy. There are plenty of movies made with chinese actors, and plenty of movies made in bollywood. People can watch them if they want. A lot of them are straight up garbage though. She's complaining to complain and taking such a stupid and easy stance.

"Duurrrrrr last samurai stars a white person durrrrrrrrrrr I'm an sjw idiot durrrrrrrrr" Yea he played in American. Guess what the movie largely appealed to white dudes.

This sort of racial stupidity is not what the world needs. This is just more I deserve somethingbecause I'm not white. "Wahhhh white people don't appreciate my culture enough wahhhhh"

If anything Blacks are shown FAR to often in movies for the amount of the population made up by them. That's the conspiracy Asians can cry about and actually make sense.

What does she want, Affirmative Action for Asian actors? Cause AA works so well for Asians in the college system where it bars them from the top schools lol
Its not just made by white people for white people . They want this to appeal in asia as well .

The bigger picture is that asians arent nearly as picky when it comes to films commercials ads models featuring white people . They do just as well if not better in some circumstances than if they incorporated asians in those medias . There is a problem the other way around though . Whitey doesn't like asians in their medias nearly as much especially not the men . So therefore they are choosing to go with white main stars because that way it still appeals to two of the most money making audiences with one film .

For some reason i think if the star was the asain guy from hangover nobody would watch it.

matt damon is known for decent action movies not for being white.

this film is an action movie

Mr Chow for the win.

Or why not Takashi from Revenge of the Nerds?

latest

Maybe Wormser could he his Sergeant at Arms.

latest

Kind of lame to have a white dude as the star but why doesn't she finance the movie if she has such a problem with it?

The Chinese financed it and American actors are hugely popular over there so....it makes sense in that regard. Making money is the ultimate goal when financing a movie. If they determined that casting Matt Damon increases their chances of making money then they would be dumb not to cast him.

I love the garbage that people whine about nowadays
Do you feel the same way about white people bitching about the new Hulk being Asian and Spiderman being latino?

Do you feel the same way about white people bitching about the new Hulk being Asian and Spiderman being latino?

Yeah. Who cares? At least with those cases the characters in the comic books were white though but if the financers determined these were the best actors for the role then have at it.

When it comes to fiction, I never saw the need for anyone to get apoplectic about it. And then the whole Idris Elba for Bond thing happened and I realized that there's significant hypocrisy around this subject.

For decades, no one complained when minority subject matter was given white leads for marketing reasons (which is understandable). But when those minorities started demanding that they be represented in media/art in a more dynamic fashion there was a vocal group that stated it wasn't a big deal, it's just fiction, artistic license. But then Elba as Bond, which should fall under artistic license, sparked such vitriol about the character that it's become harder to ignore these other examples or the groups that call for better representation.

If Matt Damon is playing a Westerner in China then it's not whitewashing or whatever. It's just a repeat of the standard Hollywood angle where they find stories and actors from foreign lands but the star is someone they think is bankable. Of course, when you don't cast/promote a broader range of people you're going to end up a small amount of bankable stars to draw from.

Hats off to Marvel from me. They've managed to maintain the tone of most of their characters while occasionally playing with the race and gender of others.

"Hollywood must be crazy. Here's an idea, I've got an idea for a movie Hollywood will love, it's called The Last N****r On Earth, starring Tom Hanks."

I was thinking something similar, but with Tom Hanks as an African Tribal Chief, perhaps a remake of the Gods Must Be Crazy.

Yea the dumb bitch is right. Let's all boycott Hollywood movies (which the entire damn world watches) and instead watch Bollywood movies. Less white people=better right? Hope y'all like dancing in your movies.
its not about less white people moron. its about whites getting unrealistic roles and how the white man is always saving the world.

I was pissed when they cast a black man as a scandinavian god in thor...

imagine the uproar of they cast napoleon as a chinese guy...makes no sense.

its not even a matter of being pc...its history being rewritten and passed off as fact.

the ancient chinese where a maginificent civilisation....and movies like this discredit it.

What a bunch of bitchy people.

This world is filled with crybabies. The Asians on this project aren't crying. THey want to make a successful film, so put someone who would be a big draw for it. Little people will always act small.

I bet most of the 'offended' people are not Chinese.

I've never seen a Caucasian or black person in a Japanese-speaking or Chinese-speaking movie, ever. Asians are some of the most xenophobic people on earth. They never accommodate us, I don't know why we should accommodate them.

its not about less white people moron. its about whites getting unrealistic roles and how the white man is always saving the world.

its not even a matter of being pc...its history being rewritten and passed off as fact.

the ancient chinese where a maginificent civilisation....and movies like this discredit it.

is Matt Damon playing an American in a foreign land, which is a common trope for many books and
movies (harry potter, any adventure movie, etc....) and causes another element to the drama of the
movie or is he playing an Asian Man?

The Norse god being black isn't a good comparison. That's changing a persons skin color just for the movie. Whereas tom cruise or Matt Damon are playing white characters.

Should a white civil war vet be played by an Asian?

The Norse god being black isn't a good comparison. That's changing a persons skin color just for the movie. Whereas tom cruise or Matt Damon are playing white characters.

Should a white civil war vet be played by an Asian?
no a white civil war vet shouldnt be played by an asian lol

just like john wayne shouldnt have played ghengis khan.

Back