Uproar over "The Great Wall"

TheFirstEMP

Overdone and dry!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
jimmies are rustled.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/29/the-great-wall-china-film-matt-damon-whitewashed

A chorus of outrage followed the release on Thursday of the first trailer for The Great Wall, a fantasy adventure set in China more than 1,000 years ago, which stars the white Hollywood star Matt Damon in the lead role.

Damon plays a soldier in ancient China in The Great Wall, an English-language film directed by Zhang Yimou and set for release in February 2017.

Constance Wu, a star of the comedy show Fresh off the Boat, posted a statement on Twitter that lambasted the “racist myth that [only a] white man can save the world”.

The popular blog Angry Asian Man called the movie “the latest movie in the grand cinematic tradition of the Special White Person”, adding: “You can set a story anywhere in the world, in any era of history, and Hollywood will still somehow find a way for the movie to star a white guy.”

What's Sherdoges opinion? IMDBs boards are going full racist SJW.

You have to admit, this film would be much much more realistic if it starred Tom Cruise.

Yea the dumb bitch is right. Let's all boycott Hollywood movies (which the entire damn world watches) and instead watch Bollywood movies. Less white people=better right? Hope y'all like dancing in your movies.

For some reason i think if the star was the asain guy from hangover nobody would watch it.

matt damon is known for decent action movies not for being white.

this film is an action movie

Making Hermione black,

Brave, courageous.

Making Hannibal black,(history channel)

Tolerant, inclusive.

White in Chinese army,

Racist, Nazis.

Seems reasonable.

Yea the dumb bitch is right. Let's all boycott Hollywood movies (which the entire damn world watches) and instead watch Bollywood movies. Less white people=better right? Hope y'all like dancing in your movies.

This crack me up big time those Indio bombay Movies are something.

The uproar is some what misplaced here. While there is whitewashing it is also pandering, Hollywood heard about the plan for the movie which was planned for a while, and decided that they wanted it fiance it to make bank in China, the caveat for financing was to film it in english and likely to have a name people would recognize to get non China market to give it a shot.

There are 4 non Asian cast members taking a quick look at the cast, while they are prominent roles, the movie was filmed in China, with known Chinese director, producers, and most of the actors are asian.

Making Hermione black,

Brave, courageous.

Tolerant, inclusive.

White in Chinese army,

Racist, Nazis.

Seems reasonable.

They made Samson from the bible black for no good reason.

Let's call it diversity.

Oh that word that means "less white people", cool, let's go with that.

How could I forget that award winning all black play about the founders, no white people, perfect score achieved!!!!

While I don't watch movies based on a true story because I hate how they are never close to accurate, this is a fictitious movie I believe and if you don't like it, make your own movie and if it is good i'll watch it and give you money.

Most of the outraged actors/actresses are just hoping for a paycheck and playing the victim.

Waaaaaaah keep crying, SJWs. Though I don't enjoy your salty tears as much as others because yours contain MSG. Gives me a headache.

Meh. Last Samurai is a great movie, as is Last of the Mohicans. I like Matt Damon, I'll watch it.

What she or he said was absolutely true . No idea why you are so mad or saying that means they hate white people .

The uproar is some what misplaced here. While there is whitewashing it is also pandering, Hollywood heard about the plan for the movie which was planned for a while, and decided that they wanted it fiance it to make bank in China, the caveat for financing was to film it in english and likely to have a name people would recognize to get non China market to give it a shot.

There are 4 non Asian cast members taking a quick look at the cast, while they are prominent roles, the movie was filmed in China, with known Chinese director, producers, and most of the actors are asian.
White people are kind of a universial appeal . In advertising and media as well . Cant really blame them making 1 movie with a white character versus two movies one white and one asian to appeal to a universal market .

Asians buy shit advertised by white people . Their own fault for being comsumerist sheep i guess .

Making Hermione black,

Brave, courageous.

Tolerant, inclusive.

White in Chinese army,

Racist, Nazis.

Seems reasonable.

So what you're saying is you and all the others who liked the post don't ever bitch about the changing of the color or orientation of characters, and are upset at the bitching because it's not the way you handle things you don't approve of.

Cause if you did sometimes complain, it'd be the same damn thing as this.

You have to admit, this film would be much much more realistic if it starred Tom Cruise.
"Hollywood must be crazy. Here's an idea, I've got an idea for a movie Hollywood will love, it's called The Last N****r On Earth, starring Tom Hanks."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back