Uproar over "The Great Wall"

For some reason i think if the star was the asain guy from hangover nobody would watch it.

matt damon is known for decent action movies not for being white.

this film is an action movie
I think its a thinly veiled way of saying white people cant find an asian hero believable because he has a small penis and there fore incapable of saving the world . This can only be done by a white man , even like a skinny old white guy like nic cage would be preferable to a visible minority .

So what you're saying is you and all the others who liked the post don't ever bitch about the changing of the color or orientation of characters, and are upset at the bitching because it's not the way you handle things you don't approve of.

Cause if you did sometimes complain, it'd be the same damn thing as this.

I mean my post couldn't have been clearer, I was clearly satirizing the double standard of "diversity".

What she or he said was absolutely true . No idea why you are so mad or saying that means they hate white people .

Not mad, she's just being an anti intellectual moron. The reason white people are shown is because these movies are made by white people largely for white people, and the reason they are watched is because they are good films people enjoy. There are plenty of movies made with chinese actors, and plenty of movies made in bollywood. People can watch them if they want. A lot of them are straight up garbage though. She's complaining to complain and taking such a stupid and easy stance.

"Duurrrrrr last samurai stars a white person durrrrrrrrrrr I'm an sjw idiot durrrrrrrrr" Yea he played in American. Guess what the movie largely appealed to white dudes.

This sort of racial stupidity is not what the world needs. This is just more I deserve somethingbecause I'm not white. "Wahhhh white people don't appreciate my culture enough wahhhhh"

If anything Blacks are shown FAR to often in movies for the amount of the population made up by them. That's the conspiracy Asians can cry about and actually make sense.

What does she want, Affirmative Action for Asian actors? Cause AA works so well for Asians in the college system where it bars them from the top schools lol

Last edited:
"Hollywood must be crazy. Here's an idea, I've got an idea for a movie Hollywood will love, it's called The Last N****r On Earth, starring Tom Hanks."

This basically sums it up.

Hollywood wanted to do a flick about the Great Wall, but they gotta attach a Hollywood star to sell it to dumb dumb US audience (I think they're patronising you).

And as pointed out, pandering to new Chinese market ; 2 birds, 1 stone.

This Matt Damon casting is worth bitching about, but NOT worth politicising sjw style.

I've thought for years the Chinese need to do a big movie about the making of the Great Wall; fucking Hollywood are doing it and put Matt fucking Damon in it.

Stupid cunts

I mean my post couldn't have been clearer, I was clearly satirizing the double standard of "diversity".

And I'm pointing out you're making the same basic complaint.

Yes, non-white don't complain about those changes, but white people/posters here do. A lot.

Constance Wu, a star of the comedy show Fresh off the Boat, posted a statement onTwitter that lambasted the “racist myth that [only a] white man can save the world”.

I might take her opinion more seriously if she wasn't starring on a show that's the equivalent of an extended "ching-a-chong-chong" joke.

Matt Damon wasn't cast cause he was white, he was cast cause he sells tickets and studios make money off those tickets.

People will find anything to have a mock outrage over. Vote Trump.

jimmies are rustled.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/29/the-great-wall-china-film-matt-damon-whitewashed

What's Sherdoges opinion? IMDBs boards are going full racist SJW.

Kind of lame to have a white dude as the star but why doesn't she finance the movie if she has such a problem with it?

The Chinese financed it and American actors are hugely popular over there so....it makes sense in that regard. Making money is the ultimate goal when financing a movie. If they determined that casting Matt Damon increases their chances of making money then they would be dumb not to cast him.

I love the garbage that people whine about nowadays

If Wu isn't happy, he can write, direct, produce his own movie and star whoever he wants. What's the problem?

This is a silly movie from start with monsters n shit in medieval China. The reason they decided to do this shitty movie from start is that it has an connection to China. China is second largest market and they watch any big hollywood production with cool effects, put in a connection to their country and they have a box office record. To sell in the west they need well known names, in comes Matt Damon, Willem Dafoe(wtf) and Pedro Pascal(everyone loves Oberyn Martell).

If Wu isn't happy, he can write, direct, produce his own movie and star whoever he wants. What's the problem?

Well as a director if you wanna keep some integrity to your vision and set you don't let the studio cast for you.

That's why you didn't see Adam Sandler in there will be blood.

Well as a director if you wanna keep some integrity to your vision and set you don't let the studio cast for you.

That's why you didn't see Adam Sandler in there will be blood.

Does the studio hire the director or make him work against his will?

Does the studio hire the director or make him work against his will?

No they hire a director to bring his vision to the movie or script.

The bean counters who have zero creativity are the ones who make these casting decisions.

That's why you don't cast Megan fox in the lead if you're hoping for a best picutre nomination. Sure she might sell more tickets but she ruins the entire vision and scope of the film.

No they hire a director to bring his vision to the movie or script.

The bean counters who have zero creativity are the ones who make these casting decisions.

That's why you don't cast Megan fox in the lead if you're hoping for a best picutre nomination. Sure she might sell more tickets but she ruins the entire vision and scope of the film.

The bolded is what really matters. If the director didn't want Matt Damon he could have refused the job. He didn't.

If Wu wants to cast a Chinese person, he should finance and cast his own stars.

Again, what's the problem here? Why can't a private studio cast who ever they want in whatever movie they want?

The bolded is what really matters. If the director didn't want Matt Damon he could have refused the job. He didn't.

If Wu wants to cast a Chinese person, he should finance and cast his own stars.

Again, what's the problem here? Why can't a private studio cast who ever they want in whatever movie they want?

Not if you wanna keep integrity in a movie.

Luckily this is a monster movie so it doesn't have much credibility to begin with.

I would take more issue with the movie looks like it will suck. IIfit is written well, then the race of the lead wont matter. If it is not written well, then the race of the lead wont matter.

This is exactly the way i felt about fan4stic.

Not if you wanna keep integrity in a movie.

Luckily this is a monster movie so it doesn't have much credibility to begin with.

Indeed. A quick cashgrab shouldn't be expected to b some historically accurate masterpiece.

Besides, if you have a problem with Matt Damon playing a character in the Chinese army, here's an idea, how about you don't watch the movie?

I don't go out of my way to watch Tyler Perry put on a dress and play the same tired stereotype for the 10th time, because I'm not the audience he's selling to. Just like Wu just might not be the audience these people are going for. No need for whining, just skip watching it.

Indeed. A quick cashgrab shouldn't be expected to b some historically accurate masterpiece.

Besides, if you have a problem with Matt Damon playing a character in the Chinese army, here's an idea, how about you don't watch the movie?

I don't go out of my way to watch Tyler Perry put on a dress and play the same tired stereotype for the 10th time, because I'm not the audience he's selling to. Just like Wu just might not be the audience these people are going for. No need for whining, just skip watching it.

I hope China makes a movie about early America and casts everyone as Asians except for George Washington who is cast as an Asian man.

Back