Unpopular Opinion: Rountree title shot is fine

There is literally zero intrigue to this fight, everyone and their mom knows Poatan will KO Rountree in probably the 2nd round. The anticipation of the outcome is half the fun in MMA, it's totally wasted on this matchup.

The reason Ank should've been the one isn't so much his ranking, it's that we genuinely don't know how that fight would play out. He's a real danger to Poatan. Thats what makes MMA exciting!
Roundtree will be Poatan’s TJ dillashaw.

Whats weird to me is Ank not freaking out about not getting the titleshot. He seemed perfectly fine with fighting Rakic instead.

Hear me out

Ankalaev had a title shot and didn't get the belt. Since then, he has a NC and a KO win over Walker, whose stock is at an all-time low. That's it. I'm not saying Rountree's resume is amazing, but what differentiates the two is that Rountree signed on to fight Hill, which clearly would've made him worthy of a shot if he had won. Hill was the one who dropped out though. That's not Khalil's fault. It's like Edwards signing up to fight Khamzat and lucking out with Nate instead when Khamzat couldn't go. It's not ideal, but the idea that Ankalaev is clearly the #1 contender is iffy. I think this is about people seeing Ankalaev as better (which he is) and a tougher fight for Alex (which it is), but based on recent work, it's not like he's separated himself in a meaningful way. Oezdemir just knocked out Walker too. There's just nobody else. Jiri's done against Alex. Hill got ran through. Rakic is coming off a loss.

We also don't know the context behind the matchmaking. Maybe the UFC wanted Ank to fight sooner than he's scheduled to and he declined.

With all that being said, Alex by knockout within 2. Unless he fights really stupid or Khalil pulls some crazy fluke move out of his ass, we're simply talking about different levels of standup.
Was it Hill who dropped out? I thought it was Khalil who got suspended.

Honestly, the only acceptable answer is that Pereira wanted to fight quicker than Mag wanted to come in. However, this is only 3 weeks difference, so that's bordering on doubtful. I'm not sure why anyone would think that a draw for a title shot is equivalent to a loss that needs a turnaround of significant wins, instead of what a draw for the title actually should be: an immediate rematch. That seems to be the biggest problem here, is that Dana needed a title, so he was petty about the fight not going the way he liked, and now people are following that pettiness in lock-step by thinking he needs to separate himself again, when he had already separated himself enough. Ironically, the Leon example works pretty well for Magomed here, in that he put himself in title range a while ago, and has been trying to stay busy in the meantime, even though he was already in title range, and getting criticism that his most recent opponent wasn't up to snuff for the title shot he already deserved.

There certainly have been worse shots though. Frankly, even though Khalil's suspension is probably the most open and shut, admitted, accidental, tainted supplement cases ever, it's still real bad optics for a guy to lose a title shot earning fight for getting suspended, and then just skip it and get the title shot anyway when the suspension's over.

Whats weird to me is Ank not freaking out about not getting the titleshot. He seemed perfectly fine with fighting Rakic instead.
Well, he freaked out a bit once he learned about Alex-Khalil. Probably seems like he may have been led to believe a title shot wasn't on the table, and then realized he was screwed once a title shot was on the table for Khalil

I like it on a stylistic level because its about as violent of a match up as you could make. But I would rather it had happened while Poatan was working his way up to the belt, or as a bounce back fight after he lost it. Its not a very legit title fight at all tbh.

It should be Ank getting the title shot next, but I get that the UFC is giving Rountree the shot instead since Ank declined their offer for UFC 300 vs Poatan.

& yes, Rountree got popped on a drug test, but he proved it was contaminated.
That is true, but you are also expected as a fighter to be accountable for what goes into you. Fighters are educated on tainted supplements and sign off on documents affirming they are aware of the dangers, have lists available to them of supplements (I forget if it's a white list or black list or both), and the ability to send supplements for testing before taking them.

I fully think, like any other reasonable person, that he wasn't attempting to get an edge. However, ultimately, you cannot fight with any banned substances, as the result would be stricken from the record if you did, so it's not the intention that is the guilt for suspension, it's the presence. Still results in a suspension.

go listen to the jaxxon podcast released TODAY
it wasnt what you think
I gotta hear this, but man, listening to anything with Rampage talking is gonna hurt.

Not what happened
See, I know that Khalil made Novitsky aware as soon as he learned, but with testing being all hush hush now, was it not that he learned after a test got flagged, then checked the shipping records? Or he spontaneously checked the shipping records, which actually do state DHEA was in it, after taking it, and that's how he learned?

it's way early, almost laughably so. a win streak against nobodies and... anthony smith? maybe after a top five win, but even that would be pushing it.

Hear me out

Ankalaev had a title shot and didn't get the belt. Since then, he has a NC and a KO win over Walker, whose stock is at an all-time low. That's it. I'm not saying Rountree's resume is amazing, but what differentiates the two is that Rountree signed on to fight Hill, which clearly would've made him worthy of a shot if he had won. Hill was the one who dropped out though. That's not Khalil's fault. It's like Edwards signing up to fight Khamzat and lucking out with Nate instead when Khamzat couldn't go. It's not ideal, but the idea that Ankalaev is clearly the #1 contender is iffy. I think this is about people seeing Ankalaev as better (which he is) and a tougher fight for Alex (which it is), but based on recent work, it's not like he's separated himself in a meaningful way. Oezdemir just knocked out Walker too. There's just nobody else. Jiri's done against Alex. Hill got ran through. Rakic is coming off a loss.

We also don't know the context behind the matchmaking. Maybe the UFC wanted Ank to fight sooner than he's scheduled to and he declined.

With all that being said, Alex by knockout within 2. Unless he fights really stupid or Khalil pulls some crazy fluke move out of his ass, we're simply talking about different levels of standup.
if the HW GOAT doesnt deserve to get a title shot
then whos this top 10 guy you think deserves a shot

It's fine. But Ankalaev deserves it more and should have gotten it.

So what we get from this thread is simple: there's no one truly deserving of a title shot on that division?

As for me, I'd rather see Pereira vs Ank but that will happen eventually (and in 2025 Pereira will fight like 3 more times before Ank fights again anyway)

I gotta hear this, but man, listening to anything with Rampage talking is gonna hurt.

See, I know that Khalil made Novitsky aware as soon as he learned, but with testing being all hush hush now, was it not that he learned after a test got flagged, then checked the shipping records? Or he spontaneously checked the shipping records, which actually do state DHEA was in it, after taking it, and that's how he learned?
From What i understand he called usada on himself when he realized he made a mistake

From What i understand he called usada on himself when he realized he made a mistake
The UFC's anti doping vice presidents to be specific, but was realizing it cuz he just looked at the logs, or was reached out to by the company or something, or was it, a test got flagged so he went and checked and found it all out? And that's just stuff we'll probably never know

Those "rumors" were nothing more than fake news based on a false perception that the Dagi fighters only want to fight in Abu Dhabi. Ankalaev literally just fought in the US and he's repeatedly said he'll fight for the title anywhere.
Well, I don't know what to tell you. A lot of the fighters from Dagestan prefer to fight closer to home. It's hard to argue with this.

I just think Analaev should be clear and tell everyone whether he was offered the title shot or not. And if he was not offered it , say clearly "The UFC refused to give me a title shot at UFC 307."

That's cool for you, I'm not watching a dude who popped get rewarded with a TS. MMA fans are silly

Back