• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News UFC, NFL, NBA join forces against illegal streams.

Fengxian

Generosity, Virtue, Loyalty
Banned
Reaction score
According to a letter submitted to the United States Patent and Trademark Office on Aug. 23 (h/t TorrentFreak), the organizations are working together in an effort to update the U.S.’s current DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act), with the express purpose of having online service providers act with greater urgency when given notice that they are hosting pirated content. That is to say, they would like to see the content taken down immediately as opposed to within hours, as is typically the case at this time.

As it stands, the organizations claim that the current window of opportunity for illegal streams is particularly damaging for sports broadcasts, which are most valuable as live programming. By the time the streams have been removed, it is of little benefit to the rights holders.

The letter states that “global sports industry is losing up to $28 billion in additional potential annual revenue,” according to The Verge.

Specifically, the DMCA is being asked to change language that reads that content will be taken down “expeditiously,” which seemingly allows for the current live streaming window, to “instantaneously or near-instantaneously,” suggesting that the organizations would like the content taken down in minutes if not faster.

A change to DMCA laws could have far-reaching implications for the entertainment industry and beyond. It remains to be seen if the Aug. 23 letter from three of the most powerful sports business entities in the world spurs government action.

full article: https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/8/...for-more-immediate-dmca-action-against-piracy

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/29/23850343/dmca-takedown-nfl-nba-ufc-uspto-letter-streams

you-cant-stop-me-nolan-grayson.gif

We'll see what all gets accomplished.

We've all heard this before. I don't stream illegally because I can afford not to.

But I used to ten years ago when I had no money, and that is who they're going after... people with no money.

They're not going to do shit.

Does anyone else remember when Dana claimed he had employees watching a streamers house and listening to his phone calls?

During an interview with BT Sport ahead of McGregor/Poirier II he declared: "When I came out and said this, all these guys started taunting me.

"So I went through, and I picked. I said, 'You. You're the guy.' And I told my people, 'I want this guy.' And guess what? We got him.

"We're watching his house, we're listening to his phone conversations, and if he puts it up on Saturday, we got him."

https://www.sportbible.com/mma/dana-white-mark-zuckerberg-ufc-20220929

Honestly I would buy the PPV's pre ESPN+ But with the drop in quality with recent cards alongside price hikes/membership fees it leaves me little interest.

Or they could make the product more affordable/available? With NFL and NBA you can just go to a bar if you have to and watch but with UFC most bars dont want to pay their broadcasting fee so it leaves little choice for us poor boys but to stream.

NFL Sunday ticket + Redzone = $339 (no Amazon or ESPN games)
NBA League Pass = $129 (but that doesn't include TNT, ESPN, and regional games so basically everything.)
UFC = $79.99 PER FUCKING EVENT (ESPN+ subscription required)

It's easy to see why people would rather stream in poor quality for free rather than paying some of these prices just to follow their favorite sports.

These leagues should take a que from the music industry and instead of maliciously prosecuting fans for wanting to consume the product, come up with a more fair price point. Apple Music, Spotify, YouTube are all fairly priced for the average consumer.

Back