Fighters fighting twice a year is why the UFC can't enter mainstream like the NFL, NBA, etc...

how do you explain the popularity of the NFL, boxing, and pro wrestling then? the participants in those events get fucked up way more often than MMA fighters do. or do you mean just the visuals is viscerally disturbing to a lot of people?
The NFL has done a very good job at hiding how damaging football is to the brain. Boxing has time on its side and wrestling is shrugged off as fake.

Let Khamzat smesh.

You're telling me there's no way a billion dollar enterprise can get Khamzat in the states for a fight? Come on.
The dude chooses to be linked up with a war criminal to ride motorbikes and drive cars. Khamzat is an idiot.

UFC has an issue because it's an international sport which mostly occurs in the USA.

They watered down the cards so much, that we can't get stars anymore and anyone that might become a star rarely fights. Pride had the fighter building aspect correct by having regular tournaments and fighters actually being able to be successful after a loss. Now it's all about being undefeated, never losing and having win streaks. Back in the day only one guy (Fedor) had that mystique.

how do you explain the popularity of the NFL, boxing, and pro wrestling then? the participants in those events get fucked up way more often than MMA fighters do. or do you mean just the visuals is viscerally disturbing to a lot of people?
NFL, boxing, and pro wrestling have all been around for decades or even centuries. Boxing is much less popular than it was, to the point of not even being mainstream anymore.

Pro Wrestling has a fan base but the vast majority of people would never watch it.

It's possible that MMA can gain more acceptance, but I doubt it will ever be truly mainstream.

I'm afraid the lack of popularity has little to do with how often these guys fight; you have to look at the magnitude of the difference between the UFC and other sports (including sports that are less popular than those you mention).

Having a bush league organization run by a crook hurts mainstream prospects; many aspects of that kind of leadership hurt the UFC's chances of ever being huge. Being a visually brutal sport isn't good also (football is more damaging, but not as brutal to the naked eye). I think it could still move much further into the mainstream with better management that looks to the long haul; competition could actually help it get over the hump it is stuck on and further into the mainstream (Dana would have to then make changes to compete).

When Taylor Swift shows up at a UFC event, we will know it has reached mass popularity. ;)

When Taylor Swift shows up at a UFC event, we will know it has reached mass popularity. ;)

shit the only reason she shows up to the NFL is because she's fucking one of the tight ends, we already shot our shot when Rockhold was dating Demi Lovato.

NFL, boxing, and pro wrestling have all been around for decades or even centuries. Boxing is much less popular than it was, to the point of not even being mainstream anymore.

Pro Wrestling has a fan base but the vast majority of people would never watch it.

It's possible that MMA can gain more acceptance, but I doubt it will ever be truly mainstream.

Soccer's great due to the whole promotion/relegation thing.
If the UFC expanded their rankings and told a better story and made working one's way up to a title shot a reasonable "story," there'd probably be more global fan engagement.

You'd get better storylines for rivalries between up-and-comers due to the higher stakes.

The NFL has done a very good job at hiding how damaging football is to the brain. Boxing has time on its side and wrestling is shrugged off as fake.

they can't hide it now, they made a whole movie with Will Smith starring in it about brain damage from the NFL.

The massive roster doesn't help either. I watch every event and still can't recognise half the card on fight nights.

UFC is main stream.

shit the only reason she shows up to the NFL is because she's fucking one of the tight ends, we already shot our shot when Rockhold was dating Demi Lovato.
Right, Demi is a more low-brow star than Taylor, who would never date anyone like Rockhold lol.

Right, Demi is a more low-brow star than Taylor, who would never date anyone like Rockhold lol.

that's what i mean, she ain't coming to the UFC unless she's hitting it and nobody in the UFC's universe is on her level. just look at who she picked for her bf in NFL, a guy a lot of people consider one of the greatest Tight Ends of all time. he's not just some bench warming fuckface.

Since UFC became mainstream a lot of UFC fighters don't need to do 5 fights per year anymore to pay their bills.

Paulo Costa can fight every 1,5 years but with his social profiles, his sponsorships, may be coaching amateurs, can provide to himself and to his family with ease.

Don't need to take unnecessary risks into the octagon.

Damn, that's ridiculous.

Who wouldn't want to watch that? The movie Gladiator was huge with audiences.

Fighting has been around since the beginning of time. It's natural.

I have no doubt that if reincarnation exist that i was an opulent and bloodthirsty coliseum going Roman asshole in one of my past lives.

That would explain so much

It's hard to shake the notion that mma is a carny freakshow when it continually operates as a carny-ass freakshow

It's funny that even when people call out the inactivity, they still overestimate how active top UFC fighters are.

The biggest stars in the UFC are Conor and Jon Jones. One has fought once in the last four years, the other isn't scheduled to fight in 3 years.

The problem is much worse than 'twice a year' at the top. It would be great if top ranked fighters consistently did fight twice a year.

It's hard to shake the notion that mma is a carny freakshow when it continually operates as a carny-ass freakshow

The NFL won't be able to stop MMA's rise to become the dominant mainstream sport unless players are allowed to call time out during play to beg for 50k so that they aren't evicted from their trailer park.

Back