Fighters fighting twice a year is why the UFC can't enter mainstream like the NFL, NBA, etc...

It's not a rule or anything. It's just most of the upper level fighters choose willingly to only fight once or twice a year. It hasn't always been that way, and there are still a few warriors out there that love the game and are much more active. But, it's getting more and more rare. I do think there should be some rules put into place that you can't maintain your ranking if you don't fight for an extended period. Prime example is Colby staying ranked #1 without fighting for two years. Absurd.

No, it's because the vast majority of audiences don't want to watch people kick the shit out of each other.
biden-sniff.gif

Who made up the dumb ass rule that fighters should only fight around two times a year? With mainstream sports like the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc, you get to see your favorite sports stars frequently. In the UFC, we're lucky to see our favorite fighters twice a year.

Why can't we normalize 3-4 fights a year?

It's pissing me off that we have to wait so damn long to see our favorite fighters. Man up and fight more! People are so afraid of an L that they need 6 months to get ready for their next opponent. I don't buy into fighters being so injured that they're forced to recover for 6 months after every fight.

Fighters should fight more!
Two things:

1) Weight cutting is a much bigger reason for so much time between fights vs injuries or game planning

2) The UFC's pay is also a major issue. Dana White says the UFC isn't a career its an opportunity. The money fighters can make outside of the cage for being known as a UFC fighter outweighs what they make in the cage for fighting. It becomes heightened when it comes to champions. Better to hold a belt and be a "UFC Champion" who fights once a year but does a bunch of commercials, paid appearances etc then it is to fight and lose it and lose all those deals for a small fight paycheck.

I do think the lack of fights is what really has set this modern era back. Maybe its the lack of steroids? Or maybe its overtraining and gameplans taking way too long. For fans it isn't as fun. You forget about fighters when they step out 1-2 times a year. Atleast 3-4 you tune in every quarter. Maybe just having cans like Pride did, let them show off for a warmup fight in between. Either way its holding the divisions back and holding the sport back.

Dude mainstream means money. the UFC is poverty organization compared to the NFL. They do as much revenue as about 2 NFL teams combined. They can't enter mainstream because the target demographic is almost impossible to escape. People like sports that they can participate in. Almost everyone has played in some type of football game or baseball game in America. Almost everyone in the world has played soccer. How many people have had a serious fight for RECREATIONAL purposes? UFC is something you go to jail for when done outside of a sanctioned event. It's an adult male meathead sport.
the dallas cowboys are the most valueable team worth an estimated 9 billion dollars.
the UFC is estimated to be worth between 9-12 billion dollars. the UFC is worth more than the bottom 3 NFL teams combined.

with revenue last year the UFC did an estimated 1.14 billion dollars. the dallas comboys had the most revenue in the NFL with 1.3 billion. new england patriots came in second with 684 MILLION. they make as much as about 2 NFL teams combined???? they would be the second most profitable NFL out there if they were an NFL team.... where the fuck do you get your information from?

What about canelo who makes millions for 1 fight a year?

Muay Thai guys fight every other day for peanuts
Maybe the MMA guys are now making too much money with YouTube and such. Many fight once a year or every few years. Like chimaev, Costa... Stipe has another job and is like 50, so I suppose he gets a pass

These guys need to get their heads and brains bashed in AT LEAST 3 times a year...
I mean,
This is my ENTERTAINMENT we are talking about here!!
😡😡😡

Back