UFC Fight Night 59 draws an average of 2.751 million viewers (3.1 mil peak)

UFC looking at Conor like...
images

It's a fantastic #, but what's ridiculous to ignore is the factor of promoting DURING the action of the Packers-Seahawks game on Fox which had to do an enormous rating by itself. They had a video of Conor popping up saying, "he diddly de, watch me tonight on FS1 vanquish a real leprechaun" (or something to that effect). Maybe you didn't see that in Montreal though.

Promotion def was a part of it, this card got more primetime promo than PPV get but its a combo of the right fighter and the right push and it came together and was a smash hit for UFc/Fox this time.

They could give Max Holloway the same push and wouldnt do near those numbers.

Yeah, I'm not saying they should be Conor either. But the fact is, most guys are pretty cookie cutter. Gus is one of them. Ricardo Lamas started talking more, but he's really, really boring.

That might be a bit harsh, but I see where you're coming from.

I can see Conor bringing in a new wave of fans. Hopefully they can capitalize off of this and promote the other guys and get their faces to the masses. The thing is, the UFC has grown so much now and we have have a bunch of respectable athletes and likable people on the roster. They can sway the public (with the Gus' and others) away from the stereotypical bang-bro aura that still exists with the regular folk and push it as a legit sport. Show Gus enough, people might start thinking, "Who is this dude they keep showing, he almost beat Jones? I know enough to know he's a big deal, maybe I should check him out."

I had friends who would mock me for watching UFC. They were full of questions with McGregor because of those promos. This definitely won't be the case with all fighters, but there are enough that could peak people's curiosity.

Idk how anyone can say these are good or bad numbers

I don't remember any card more promoted especially on free tv

Conor is a bit of a draw, but let's not kid ourselves. Much of that was putting it on following playoff football.

It's like when a network put Family Guy after the Superbowl. It works for introducing a product you want to push.

Lots get to see the ads on Fox but not really the same thing. The Fox game was the early game and on a different channel. People had to wait a few hours while watching a different football game before putting on FS1.

ufc needs him to beat aldo so much. he will make them bigger money as champ

God I hope they don't use this to try and push the FS1 platform by asking McGoat / Aldo to do a TUF

Nah, Scarface Aldo vs Notorious C Mc G is in all likeliness happening in Vegas on Memorial Day weekend (last weekend of May).

yes and that card was loaded

So was this one. Cerrone-Henderson is a FOX main event or a PPV semi-main. Tibau has been around forever and is a name most fans know. Hall was on the biggest PPV of last year and had kind of a star-making performance.

And ya, that Irish dude in the main event as well....

Lots get to see the ads on Fox but not really the same thing. The Fox game was the early game and on a different channel. People had to wait a few hours while watching a different football game before putting on FS1.

True but I fail to understand how it's out of the average sherdoggers comprehension that the gambit UFC was playing (and worked) was to pull off the massive football audience.

Yes, they ran into the luck of "Oh, the Fox game is on earlier with a CBS game in between". But that doesn't mean the audience isn't going to say "Okay you guys want to watch 60 minutes after the Patriots or watch some Irish guys cause violence after the game?"

There was a reason UFC chose Sunday instead of Saturday. There was a reason they chose the time they did. It worked out relatively well.

And every single one of them got to witness greatness. They should consider themselves lucky.

Who is comparing it to NFL?

How many threads said card wont do good cause its on a sunday during NFL and it was a homerun.

Prelims did almost a mill directly against NFL playoffs.

FIght night prelims on Sat vs nothing dont even do that much and they were able do to close to a mill for prelims during NFL playffs.

Managed to do a huge number, sell tickets and do a big gate in same town during a Pats playoff game.
By during you mean afterward, with a big lead in from the packers game.

True but I fail to understand how it's out of the average sherdoggers comprehension that the gambit UFC was playing (and worked) was to pull off the massive football audience.

Yes, they ran into the luck of "Oh, the Fox game is on earlier with a CBS game in between". But that doesn't mean the audience isn't going to say "Okay you guys want to watch 60 minutes after the Patriots or watch some Irish guys cause violence after the game?"

There was a reason UFC chose Sunday instead of Saturday. There was a reason they chose the time they did. It worked out relatively well.

The UFC choose Sunday because of a Hockey game the night before. The UFC got lucky that the way the NFL playoffs worked out for them.

The UFC has heavily advertised on football before for Fox cards and it has not caught on. Promos can only do so much.

So was this one. Cerrone-Henderson is a FOX main event or a PPV semi-main. Tibau has been around forever and is a name most fans know. Hall was on the biggest PPV of last year and had kind of a star-making performance.

And ya, that Irish dude in the main event as well....
More people turn the tv off than on when they hear the name Tibau.

The great white hope. Hopefully he beats Aldo and reigns the FW division... One can dream....

The UFC choose Sunday because of a Hockey game the night before. The UFC got lucky that the way the NFL playoffs worked out for them.

The UFC has heavily advertised on football before for Fox cards and it has not caught on. Promos can only do so much.

They lucked out on the Patriots making it into the playoffs at home. However the weekend itself was chosen plenty long ago and for the reason that it was after Football. Putting fights on directly following football is smart.

It's not like Connor isn't a draw. I'm just saying football power.

Back