• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC 302: Makhachev vs. Poirier

Any pros in here willing to explain the spread/odds on the Makhachev vs Poirier fight to my noob self?

Very few think Dustin can stop Islam's grappling. It's about that simple. They see a replay of Dustin vs Khabib as very likely.

Islam is not an underdog.
I never said he was.

The CHAMPIONS (aka former champs) are all favorites when Costa in on a card

The CHALLENGERS (aka future/current champs) are all underdogs

CHAMPIONS (favorites)
Aldo, Joanna, Cody, Bisping, Stipe, DC, Usman, Volk, Islam

CHALLENGERS (underdogs)
Max, Rose, TJ, GSP, DC, Stipe, Edwards, Topuria, Poirier

Last edited:
I never said he was.

CHAMPIONS (favorites)

CHALLENGERS (underdogs)

GSP was the betting favorite over Bisping...

GSP was the betting favorite over Bisping...
And rightfully so, Bisping looked like dogshit against the ghost of Hendo.

I'll concede that the Costa/champions losing thing is quite an interesting stat. So there's two things to look out for if you're on the superstitious side of things:

No LW over the age of 35 has won a title fight
Costa gives wine to the champs that fight on the same card as him.

And rightfully so, Bisping looked like dogshit against the ghost of Hendo.

I'll concede that the Costa/champions losing thing is quite an interesting stat. So there's two things to look out for if you're on the superstitious side of things:

No LW over the age of 35 has won a title fight
Costa gives wine to the champs that fight on the same card as him.

Oddly Mike was beating GSP pretty clearly until he got clipped with one shot and GSP got his back off the ensuing scramble.

Oddly Mike was beating GSP pretty clearly until he got clipped with one shot and GSP got his back off the ensuing scramble.
I think rounds were 1-1 and GSP was landing takedowns but Mike was very active off his back. Either way GSP showed what natural winners do and eventually found the finish he had been looking ever since BJ quit on stool on that famous card back in winter of 2009.

I think rounds were 1-1 and GSP was landing takedowns but Mike was very active off his back. Either way GSP showed what natural winners do and eventually found the finish he had been looking ever since BJ quit on stool on that famous card back in winter of 2009.
It was 1-1 but Mike did seem to be growing in the fight. Think if GSP didn't knock him down he might've been on his way to losing, good thing he did tho. Don't wanna live in a world where Bisping beat both Anderson and GSP lol.
I think ring rust and not being used to the extra weight messed with Georges cardio.

Very few think Dustin can stop Islam's grappling. It's about that simple. They see a replay of Dustin vs Khabib as very likely.
What I mean is what are the various odds and what do they mean. Like -240, +240 etc? I'm an idiot.

Thats it. Im sold. These words speak directly to my extremely superstitious mind.
If you’re being sarcastic, go with the “under 35 at LW or below” stat which pays 18 for 100

That stat is 15-0 and is 23 years old.
(could be due for a loss)

Costa’s curse is 8-0 and 7 years old.
It pays 410 for 100.

There is a $392 difference between the two.

I just know Usman was -10000 live odds before Costa hit his ass with a lighting bolt.

What I mean is what are the various odds and what do they mean. Like -240, +240 etc? I'm an idiot.
-240 means that you'd have to put $240 on the line to win $100, +240 means that if you put $100 you'd get $240.

Everytime Costa is on a card, champions lose their belts. It happened 8 times. All by finish.
7x by KO, 1x by SUB. The champions were all underdogs. Some of them were bigger dogs than Poirier. Usman almost escaped the curse, but it still got him in the end. Islam will be the 9th and final victim. After Islam loses, the curse will finally be broken.

I never said he was.

CHAMPIONS (favorites)

CHALLENGERS (underdogs)
You didn't? You said the CHAMPIONS were all underdogs. And Islam will be the 9th and final victim. Now you're clearing it up, fine.

If you’re being sarcastic, go with the “under 35 at LW or below” stat which pays 18 for 100

That stat is 15-0 and is 23 years old.
(could be due for a loss)

Costa’s curse is 8-0 and 7 years old.
It pays 410 for 100.

There is a $392 difference between the two.

I just know Usman was -10000 live odds before Costa hit his ass with a lighting bolt.
Nah I really am superstitious as shit and believe almost all curses. I also believe in the power of jinx.

But the fact that Id really like REALLY like to see Dustin pull it off makes me not want to play his line at all and just go full on Islam.

Really? I was in high school so idk.

Im going off closing line +100 (Bestfightodds)

Tapology says -115

GSP was definitely -130 when I bet it. Obviously the line could've moved, so yeah it's possible at fight time he was the dog. I'm going off my own memory of betting GSP. And I remember early in the fight feeling like an idiot as he was losing.

You didn't? You said the CHAMPIONS were all underdogs. And Islam will be the 9th and final victim. Now you're clearing it up, fine.
Next time I want you to think before being a smart aleck. Can you try that for me? You’re too busy being a smart aleck to be thinking

Next time I want you to think before being a smart aleck. Can you try that for me? You’re too busy being a smart aleck to be thinking

Did Costa himself not break his own curse when he lost to Adesanya?

Did Costa himself not break his own curse when he lost to Adesanya?
No because he’s the originator. So the curse got reversed in this case.

You can’t curse yourself to win a world title.

Curses are evil. You can’t expect a positive result from it. So he got negative outcome.

Remember he got physically and sexually assaulted in that fight. I don’t think that ever happened before

Good move, blame me for your inaccuracy. Go win another $4000 and tell us how bright you are again. And again. And again.

Back