• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC 236 Holloway vs Poirier 2

Just randomly looked at odds and something jumped out at me:

Izzy itd +113
Not Izzy itd -153

What am I missing here? Kelvin has a granite chin and very good cardio at MW. Obviously Adesanya is only a KO threat, zero sub threat at all. Kelvin has never been KO'd, or even close. I'm not saying it's impossible Izzy finishes him with strikes but these odds are WAY off imo. I put the odds of Kelvin being finished here at maybe 25% tops. Granted I think the ML is off a bit too, it's pretty close to even. So a play on Kelvin straight at +160 or whatever would be good in my view as well. But while it's easy for me to envision Adesanya outclassing Kelvin standing for a decision win, I really, REALLY don't see a finish as likely at all. I think the most likely worst case for Kelvin is that it looks similar to Izzy vs Tavares. But I think Kelvin has better boxing and probably a better chin than Brad does honestly.

Not Adesanya itd at -153 should be hammered by you guys imo. Just my two cents.

Masvidal, Pettis, Gaethje, JDS, TSantos

Outside the JJ fight it's been a good streak of the ME ending relatively quick. Maybe the public is unraveling this ball of yarn.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that Iz has a great chin as well. Just has that air about him. Kelvin's is proven.

edit: duh...this isn't the ME. So, yeah, idiot alert here.

Pretty much agree but I went with Adesanya decision at +325 instead. Imo if this goes the distance Adesanya wins the majority of the time. Obviously not Israel ITD covers more scenarios but personally I feel like there’s more value on the +325.

I could honestly see an argument for someone to play both if they liked that Izzy dec line a lot.

Very good cardio ?

<mma4>

At MW I think he does. The fights where he's showed any lack of cardio at all were at WW (the Magny fight maybe comes to mind).

Look at his MW fights. He hasn't slowed at all really. Cardio won him the fight vs Jacare. Kennedy is a beast and ragdolled Kelvin for a round which might tire a lot of guys out, but Kelvin was the one who was fresh for round 2 while Kennedy was gassed AF. I know he hasn't gone 5 rounds since that Magny fight...so there's for sure a bit of conjecture just based on how he's looked in his 3 rounders at MW.

Let's be honest guys Kelvin is going to get smashed. He has like a 9 inch reach disadvantage, a height and size disadvantage, he does he best work in boxing range - How is he going to get there against a world class kick boxer who also has grr at foot work and distance management AND a reach and height advantage?

What is Kelvins path to victory, his wrestling? That he never ever uses, like ever, it any fight for a very long time. Kevin's amazing wrestling is a lot like a Woodly's, a rarely seen natural wonder, once every 5 years it pops up and looks okay...

KG is getting smashed, he really has a punches chance at best. He has a good punch on him, his one two has worked before, and it is MMA and anything can happen but all the chips are stacked in Isreal's favour.

Let's be honest guys Kelvin is going to get smashed. He has like a 9 inch reach disadvantage, a height and size disadvantage, he does he best work in boxing range - How is he going to get there against a world class kick boxer who also has grr at foot work and distance management AND a reach and height advantage?

What is Kelvins path to victory, his wrestling? That he never ever uses, like ever, it any fight for a very long time. Kevin's amazing wrestling is a lot like a Woodly's, a rarely seen natural wonder, once every 5 years it pops up and looks okay...

KG is getting smashed, he really has a punches chance at best. He has a good punch on him, his one two has worked before, and it is MMA and anything can happen but all the chips are stacked in Isreal's favour.

In terms of Kelvin's grappling and him potentially using his wrestling:

It's true he hasn't used it in awhile. I agree. Probably since the Magny fight (where he was actually outgrappled for much of the fight--likely because he just never took well to that cut to 170). But dig a little deeper into who he's fought since then.

Hendricks: Well, yeah. Pretty obvious what Kelvin's strategy would be, and that it wouldn't include trying to wrestle.
Kennedy: Beast grappler who's bigger than Kelvin. Again, why would Kelvin try to grapple him?
Vitor: He blasted him in round 1, and Vitor has a tricky guard. Kelvin looked leagues better than non-TRT Vitor standing, he had no reason to take him down.
Weidman: Bigger than Kelvin and a freak grappler, another guy Kelvin wouldn't try to take down.
Bisping: Kelvin KO'd him in like 2 minutes. We never got to see if Kelvin would have tried to implement his wrestling.
Jacare: One of the best grapplers in all of MMA. Another obvious one, no reason for Kelvin to purposefully mess around on the mat with a top 3 grappler in the entire sport.

Israel is purely a striker. He poses zero threat off his back, none. Vettori of all people held him down. Now I do agree that his distance management and TDD have vastly improved since then. He shrugged off Tavares every time. I'm not saying Kelvin will take him down for sure. But your post seemed to imply Kelvin won't even try based on his previous fights. I think that may not be true. Israel is a much different opponent than anyone he's fought. He very well could look to use his grappling.

At MW I think he does. The fights where he's showed any lack of cardio at all were at WW (the Magny fight maybe comes to mind).

Look at his MW fights. He hasn't slowed at all really. Cardio won him the fight vs Jacare. Kennedy is a beast and ragdolled Kelvin for a round which might tire a lot of guys out, but Kelvin was the one who was fresh for round 2 while Kennedy was gassed AF. I know he hasn't gone 5 rounds since that Magny fight...so there's for sure a bit of conjecture just based on how he's looked in his 3 rounders at MW.
Gastelum gassed vs Jacare out of nowhere. I'm assuming he won't here given he'd be a moron to go into a fight like this and gas via laziness preparing and has gone the 5 rounds hard before though, but still, its a concern.

Gastelum gassed vs Jacare out of nowhere. I'm assuming he won't here given he'd be a moron to go into a fight like this and gas via laziness preparing and has gone the 5 rounds hard before though, but still, its a concern.

I'd need to rewatch that fight. I remember Jacare gassing HARD and that being one reason Kelvin was able to win. Did Kelvin really gas? Maybe he slowed down but am I wrong in that Jacare looked like a complete zombie in round 3, way worse than Kelvin?

I'd need to rewatch that fight. I remember Jacare gassing HARD and that being one reason Kelvin was able to win. Did Kelvin really gas? Maybe he slowed down but am I wrong in that Jacare looked like a complete zombie in round 3, way worse than Kelvin?
Jacare gassed hard going into the second and then Kelvin randomly gassed in the third round which led to the split as Jacare while gassed worse was pushing threw it and landing more than Kelvin who sort of just cruised. If Kelvin had his usual cardio he'd of probably finished Jacare or won a clear decision though.

Jacare gassed hard going into the second and then Kelvin randomly gassed in the third round which led to the split as Jacare while gassed worse was pushing threw it and landing more than Kelvin who sort of just cruised. If Kelvin had his usual cardio he'd of probably finished Jacare or won a clear decision though.

Was it maybe for like half the round? I guess I should rewatch it maybe. Kelvin actually threw and landed more in round 3 than Jacare did according to fightmetric.

If I remember correctly Jacare had a horrendous weight cut for gastelum fight. There was no sauna's available anywhere for whatever reason and he had to jump rope endlessly to cut weight. Legs were jelly.

Was it maybe for like half the round? I guess I should rewatch it maybe. Kelvin actually threw and landed more in round 3 than Jacare did according to fightmetric.

Give it a quick re-watch. What's the harm? Maybe throw a little bet down?

What's the worst that could happen?<NightKingBringIt>

Short Notice:
- Jouban vs. Grant (announced 3 weeks ago)
- Turner vs. Frevola (announced 3 weeks ago)
- Griffin vs. Imadaev (announced 3 weeks ago)
- Millender vs. Muhammad (announced 3 weeks ago)
- Davis vs. Costa (announced 3 weeks ago)
- Lauren Mueller (in for Paige VanZant) [5 weeks notice], Botelho had 1 more week

Ring Rust:
- Gastelum 326 days
- Jouban 404 days
- Imadaev 370 days
- Salmon 631 days

Returning from TKO loss:
- Khalil Rountree (via Walker) in Nov

Returning from Injury:
- Poirier Hip Injury vs. Diaz in Nov.
- Jouban Neck Injury vs. Roberts in July
- St. Preux Injury vs. Cirkunov in March
- Imadaev Injury in Oct
- Salmon Knee Injury vs. Barcelos in Oct
- Taha Torn ACL vs. Salmon in Nov

UFC debut:
- Zelim Imadaev, Fight Nights Global
- Boston Salmon, DW's Contender Series
- Randy Costa, Cage Titans

Fighters from Georgia:
- None

Underdogs with win streaks
- Imadaev 8 wins
- Costa 4 wins

This Jalin Turner has a glass chin, Frevola might have A shot here. Grant also

Bullshit that there's a week off, I need fights this weekend! Not even any Bellator or one or anything is there?

Bullshit that there's a week off, I need fights this weekend! Not even any Bellator or one or anything is there?

I think this weekend is pretty dry... I'm betting boxing to try and make a few bucks this weekend...

Back