• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media *** Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou Post Fight Discussion MEGATHREAD ***

How does the fight go?

• Total voters
You 'called it like you saw it' like people who clearly didn't know what they were seeing. Yes, that is the the point. A point which I made many times when discussing Francis' transition to boxing.

There was plenty of evidence that Francis would find some success in boxing. He has the physical attributes. It's true that we couldn't know what his ceiling was. I agree that he didn't look great in training or in his previous MMA fight. Hence, I thought Fury would destroy him.

But, what I was trying to tell you, was that many people on this forum were laughably misjudging his floor. Not because of him per se, but because of a complete misunderstanding of how HW boxing works.
Again, he was a complete unknown quantity in boxing. Lots of heavyweights have physical attributes at their disposal. I didn't need to know exactly how capable Francis was at the time because I knew that he lacked competitive boxing experience. It cost him in this fight because he didn't know how to hustle or steal rounds. Fury does. There's no complete misunderstanding of how HW boxing works on my end. I rarely get predictions wrong on here and that covers the big boys. Feel free to look at my track record. Even if a fight plays out quite differently, and it did here, more often than not I still get my pick right. Even the experts get it wrong from time to time. They miss around 20% of the time. Does it mean that they DKSAB? Certainly not.

He started training as a boxer and always was one.

Just he run through MMA heavyweight like fire through bushes, cause it's too shallow and finally returns to what he is supposed to be now.
Boxing is such a shallow sport. That was Ngannou's debut against the #1 boxer on the planet. All UFC champs would beat the best boxers with 8 months of training like Ngannou did

<OKC16>

1. "Bare-knuckle boxing" is not boxing.
2. Silva had a professional boxing career prior to fighting Chavez.
3. This was an MMA match rules, so how does this even apply?

Who is this "world" you speak of? the MMA community thinking Ngannou won tells me they know nothing of the sport. He landed only 25% of his punches!

LOL at Silva having a "professional boxing career" prior to fighting Chavez. He had two low level fights, a loss in 1998 and a win in 2005. Technically true, but for any practical purposes, meaningless. By your logic Mercer also had an MMA career prior to fighting Silvia, since he lost to Kimbo in 2007.

Current heavies are divided and extremely fallable. No one right now is capable of holding thr devision. Fury has presented himself as a blatantly liability for a while now. I didn't have much faith in him and the fact our so called elittw boxer got flashed by wilders unhinged winging style should have shown he's not all he's cracked up to be.

Ngannou trained hard and had a solid physique. I say the same thing about youtubers as I do about mma fighters. If you train you can make it. Boxing was never meant to be a closed elite sport it was meant to be open and accessible. The whole allure was that anyone can be champ. Modern boxing is too closed off and inbred.

It wasn't a robbery though. Furry wound up fighting like a scared boxer and distanced himself once he saw francais was gassed. He coaxed to the win using boxing and won in a common fashion that always causes controversy. Basically if you recall canelo v ggg 1 canelo did the same thing. He won fair and squaree but ggg looked more impressive so the crowd claim it as a robbery. This kind if reaction is nothing alien to boxing.

Last edited:
Well I feel like most buys would've come from the UK where it was only £20.

Still I'd be surprised if it was over a million.

OP is a boxing fan trying to make it look less damaging to his out-dated sport.

He outlanded fury in significant strikes even according to the official stats though. If the result was a ngannou win, fury would have had little to complain about - that was how well ngannou fought. Why not admit the truth- u underestimated ngannou like most other people and he is much better at boxing than everyone thought to the degree that he is a threat even to the very best heavyweight boxers?
Fury outlanded him in total punches in 6 rounds and outjabbed him in 7. Francis just barely edged him in power punches landed but how many of them were actually clean? Not many. Neither guy landed much in terms of clean shots and that's what the scoring criteria calls for. These are just stats btw. CompuBox isn't a reliable source nor is it how fights are scored. Sure I underestimated Ngannou just like the rest of the world, Fury included. Francis far exceeded expectations but he ultimately fell short.

At what point did Fury even break a sweat? Of course they hit each other. Even WWE guys sweat and hurt each other. I'm not saying the entire thing was a work from start to finish. It was a sparring match that Fury was never going to lose, but they were going to spice up. If Fury wins and isn't knocked down, nobody talks about this fight or cares. Something interesting had to happen. Take that knockdown out and nobody outside of us combat sport dorks gives a shit.

You will never convince me that this wasn't a fix or a friendly agreement. In no way, shape or form does someone who picked up gloves a decade ago beat the heavyweight champion of the world, even in a sparring match. If we had Gordon Ryan grapple Francis, or Gable Stevenson, and Francis suplexed one of them or hit a heel hook on one you'd all be crying foul and fix. But because it's boxing you guys think it may have been possible. That's crazy.

In my opinion anyway, consider this: Dozens of millions of dollars exchanged hands tonight and now it'll happen again because the rematch has an interesting storyline. If Francis knocked him out? Not interesting (for rematch purposes). Only serves Francis and increases his value, decreases Fury's profile and starpower. If Fury knocked him out? Not interesting. Only serves Fury and diminishes Francis. If Francis looked good, though, but lost and maybe even controversially... that serves both of them. Francis profile and starpower gets bigger. The upcoming fight for Fury gets more interesting because now there's more intrigue on whether or not he'll lose his next true boxing match. Has he lost his step?? Now, why not make dozens of millions more on the rematch with Francis? Even if Francis loses in PFL and Fury loses his title in his next bout (let's say that doesn't happen) they still have this rematch for eight figures a piece in their back pocket. Francis losing a controversial split decision while looking good or getting a split draw is the only thing that increases the intrigue in both fighters' next competitions AND their potential rematch. That is the only outcome that serves both men equally. What's better than faking people into paying you once? Getting the money twice.

They actually did better than Floyd/Conor. They made a rematch not only possible, but interesting, buyable and exciting. And they're fooling absolutely everyone.

In comparison to the heavyweight champion and top 15 heavyweight boxer of all time? Uh, yeah. He's closer to that than he is Fury.

I'm not infallible, but read my above analysis of the outcome.

Then, watch Fury's last 2 fights. Hell, put it on 1.5x or 2.x speed if you haven't seen them already.

Then...watch him fight Francis today. Look at Francis breathing out his mouth for 8 rounds while Fury doesn't even break a sweat. Watch him look backwards as he fell down. Watch him fight the 10th round as if he already won the fight. Watch him shoot a double leg on Francis. Watch Francis hook up a guillotine. Watch Francis throw a superman punch. Tell me all of this theater is just good old entertaining heavyweights having a slobberknocker of a fight right before they both go fight championship fights in their respective sports.

If that's the conclusion you come to, all right. But I watched that god damn fight and it looked like a gold glove boxer sparring an up and comer and letting him work.

Wow, you and your mate @Dbreiden83080 are embarrassing LOL what a pair of losers

<mma2>

It will likely hit 1.5 million in the UK alone. A lot of people who never watch boxing were watching ii

You're wrong. People didn't overrate "HW boxing" alone, they overrated boxing as a whole.

Don't try to make it seem like the HW division is an entirely different sport. Own up to your elitist BS.

That you always claimed any MMA fighter going up against a top boxer in a boxing ring stood absolutely no chance.

Last night was a humiliation and has changed the nature of this decades long debate forever. The only thing that hasn't happened yet is a top boxer going into MMA under these type of circumstances.

I'm sure you fancy your chances right? He's just gotta "land a punch before the MMA guy takes him down" right? I mean all of your other out-dated claims on this have stood the test of time right.

Literally just one example, the outlier is not representative of the norm
upload_2023-10-29_7-6-43.png

Practically none of the most active are wrestlers.

But again, your point makes sense in theory. It's just not how it actually goes in reality.

Because boxing fans are the narcissists of combat sports.

The most elitist, arrogant bunch you can find in the fighting world.

Stuck to their old ways of thinking, stubborn as a mule.

That behavior is also part of what ruined their own sport.

Even after this, some elitists still have no shame and will try to move goalposts now.

Purr arrogance. My only gripe was that there was limited footage of ngannou and he didn't look great on the pads. He is a big guy with fight experience and he took training seriously. Boxing fans who couldn't see this are representative of fury himself who has been mocking his opponents as a lazy slob because he takes advantage of weight and size. He happens to be capable of taking advantage of short comings with his above average ring iq. Never forget he got floored by cunnongham a cruiser who wasn't known for his power. Fury had no idea how to defend against uppercut on the inside, and when he couldn't bully his way out of trouble he fell back. He had no idea how to get out if being dog walked down.

The hw division has interesting names but in terms of ring general manship is rubbish. Usyk is a great breath of fresh air but like the others he can get in by taking advantage of the lack of knowledge and true understanding of the sport.

Cope harder.
Francis lost.

You should a Google it.
I should "a google" something? Google a something that you're mad and embarrassed for boxing that some newb walked in and clowned the HW champ? lol

Google "mad" and you'll find a picture of yourself lol

You're wrong. People didn't overrate "HW boxing" alone, they overrated boxing as a whole.

Don't try to make it seem like the HW division is an entirely different sport. Own up to your elitist BS.

That you always claimed any MMA fighter going up against a top boxer in a boxing ring stood absolutely no chance.

Last night was a humiliation and has changed the nature of this decades long debate forever. The only thing that hasn't happened yet is a top boxer going into MMA under these type of circumstances.

I'm sure you fancy your chances right? He's just gotta "land a punch before the MMA guy takes him down" right? I mean all of your other out-dated claims on this have stood the test of time right.
It has happened before. Not on the sane level but it has. Clarressa also looked slick and brought some new moves to mma. It is a pity she quit after her first loss because she wad green and didn't want to push it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RBG
Back