Social Two former classmates ordered to pay ¥37 million in damages over bullied Japanese boy's suicide

phoenixikki

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Two former classmates ordered to pay ¥37 million ($334,554) in damages over bullied Japanese boy's suicide

child-who-receives-bullying.jpg

OTSU, SHIGA PREF. - The Otsu District Court on Tuesday ordered two former classmates of a boy who killed himself in 2011 at the age of 13 to pay damages totaling about ¥37.5 million, recognizing that their bullying of the victim was the cause of his death.

“The assault by the two former classmates had escalated, and as the student’s relations with friends collapsed … he felt a strong sense of isolation and started to think he wanted to die,” presiding Judge Shigeyasu Nishioka said when handing down the ruling.

The boy, from Otsu, took his own life on the morning of Oct. 11, 2011, by jumping from the condominium where he lived. He was in his second year at a junior high school in the city.

The boy’s parents in 2012 filed a damages suit against three former classmates and their guardians, seeking a total of about ¥38.5 million on the basis that their son’s death was a consequence of their actions. The bereaved parents also sued the Otsu Municipal Government for damages.

During the hearing, the family argued there had been “harsh bullying,” saying the classmates had forced the boy to eat a dead bee and constantly told him to die.

The defendants admitted to some of the actions they were accused of by the family, but claimed they had thought they were just playing together.

The court rejected the plaintiffs’ demand for damages from a third classmate. It cannot be said that the other classmate had participated in the bullying in an integral manner alongside the other two students, the judge said.

The court also stopped short of recognizing breach of duty of supervision by guardians of the students.

The judge said that violence against the victim “started escalating” in the second semester of their second year of junior high school.

It was “foreseeable” that the boy might take his own life as he was made to feel a sense of helplessness and despair through repeated acts to pressure him psychologically, the judge said.

The entire ordeal had been long, the boy’s father told a news conference, adding that the family was satisfied with the ruling and that he was thankful many other former classmates gave evidence to help prove his son was bullied.

About a year after the victim’s death, local police referred two of the three students to prosecutors for alleged assault while sending the third boy — who was 13 at the time of the abuse and thus exempt from criminal prosecution — to a child welfare center.

A third-party investigation committee set up by the city concluded in 2013 that bullying was the direct cause of the suicide.

In 2014, the Otsu Family Court acknowledged the allegation and ordered the two found culpable in this week’s ruling to be placed under the supervision of a juvenile probation officer, while exempting the third.

The city’s education board initially found no connection between the suicide and bullying, but some students were later found to have stated in a school survey that the boy was told to “practice killing himself.”

Continue reading

Stories like this fill me with a pretty deep sadness. No child should ever feel like suicide is the way out.

I can't help but feel the school should burden some of the responsibility (and compensation) it sounds like the bullying was extensive, and must've been well known about, but yet it was allowed to get to the level it did.

Parents don't care anymore how their kid treats other kids. I'd kick my kid's butt if he was bullying another kid into suicide. But some parents don't care, and they don't parent anymore.

And schools need to bring back paddlings to any bullies.

Bullies tend to say and do this stuff when teachers and adults are not around. So it is hard to catch if you're a teacher or principal.

Suicide always has multifactorial causes. Bullying is one area of stress, but there's also the attitude of the parents (reflected in 11 years of rearing): whether or not they taught their children the skills to deal with confrontation, whether they imbued their child with a sense of self-esteem and worth, whether they even cared what was happening at school. You can't 100% insulate children against bullying or any other adverse life event that will come their way, what you do is teach them how to deal with it correctly e.g. value themselves enough to stand up for themselves, have the social skills to do so and seek help if they're overwhelmed. Good parents don't idly watch their child be depressed and without friends and not investigate what's happening. Good parents don't expect schools to do their job for them. Another factor is what the kid's larger support network looks like (teachers, friends, grandparents, other family members, etc). People can endure a lot of tragedy when they have a support network, the problem is when that network is nonexistent.

It's probably good that there's a legal precedent against bullies. I just don't think it's getting at the heart of what's really behind the issue.

I can't help but feel the school should burden some of the responsibility (and compensation) it sounds like the bullying was extensive, and must've been well known about, but yet it was allowed to get to the level it did.

My first thought as well

There has always been bullying but in the last 20 years or so it seems like kids are not able to deal with it and commit suicide. There has to be other factors though that contribute to these decisions by the children.

Parents don't care anymore how their kid treats other kids. I'd kick my kid's butt if he was bullying another kid into suicide. But some parents don't care, and they don't parent anymore.

Bullies tend to say and do this stuff when teachers and adults are not around. So it is hard to catch if you're a teacher or principal.

Gee. I wonder where people are getting this idea that it's ok to mock and bully people...

giphy.gif

Gee. I wonder where people are getting this idea that it's ok to mock and bully people...

giphy.gif
Trump didn't make those kids bully others and Trump didn't make the kid commit suicide. Is your name Ellen Page?

Suicide always has multifactorial causes. Bullying is one area of stress, but there's also the attitude of the parents (reflected in 11 years of rearing): whether or not they taught their children the skills to deal with confrontation, whether they imbued their child with a sense of self-esteem and worth, whether they even cared what was happening at school. You can't 100% insulate children against bullying or any other adverse life event that will come their way, what you do is teach them how to deal with it correctly e.g. value themselves enough to stand up for themselves, have the social skills to do so and seek help if they're overwhelmed. Good parents don't idly watch their child be depressed and without friends and not investigate what's happening. Good parents don't expect schools to do their job for them. Another factor is what the kid's larger support network looks like (teachers, friends, grandparents, other family members, etc). People can endure a lot of tragedy when they have a support network, the problem is when that network is nonexistent.

It's probably good that there's a legal precedent against bullies. I just don't think it's getting at the heart of what's really behind the issue.
It's got to be the more sensitive caring kids that are more susceptible to suicide. These kids tend not to fight back. And they aren't as street smart as the bullies.

I know a nice kid getting bullied right now. He's on my kid's team. He's gotten in trouble by the school aid for retaliating.

I work with kids and I see bullying all the time. That shit happens in school and the school does absolutely nothing. The only thing that really helps is when a kid hurts their bully physically, which is not something everybody wants to teach their kids.

That being said, kids need to be taught that people can say anything, and words from random people shouldn't mean anything to you. The problem though is the rest of the kids avoiding the bullied kid because of fear of getting bullied themselves.

I'm not sure the bullies should get sued here, they're kids... They don't know shit. If anything the school is at fault.

You can't do that these days Rip'....

th

giphy.gif

Do you have a video of the person that Trump is mocking? I'd love to see them acting all spastic like that to confirm this is true.

Trump didn't make those kids bully others and Trump didn't make the kid commit suicide. Is your name Ellen Page?

So, gay pride parades definitely normalize gay behavior, but the most powerful man in the world mocking a handicapped person on live tv has nothing to do with how kids perceive acceptable behavior.

Some might not agree with me but I think part of the problem is schools teach standing up to bullies and fighting back is wrong.

You are only supposed to tell the teach and hope they do something.

I found out at an early age that bullies don’t want to fight they want to beat up and abuse but not fight.

I believe in teaching your kids martial arts and when to use it. Get them into some real hard sparing when they are ready so they have an idea. Set the rules on when they can get physical and what happens if they break those rules.

I taught my son from the time he was small and gave him the rules. He only had one problem in school with a kid putting hands on. He did no real damage to the kid and I informed the school that if they did anything to him I would charge the other kid and file a law suit against the school. Everything went quite and nothing was ever said.

I know this is not a cure all but just one step in handling the problem.

By the way one time I told him he could step in was when he saw a kid being picked on or bullied.

So, gay pride parades definitely normalize gay behavior, but the most powerful man in the world mocking a handicapped person on live tv has nothing to do with how kids perceive acceptable behavior.

It was stated and proved Trump uses those types of arm movements when he is imitating people showning frustration especially the left about him.

The reporter has never used those types of arm movement and Trump has used those types of arms movements when talking about other people.

By the way one time I told him he could step in was when he saw a kid being picked on or bullied.

I did this for my friends in school but sometimes I wonder if that was a good idea or not. Being forced to confront and face my bully was a life changing moment for me and sometimes I wonder if I robbed my friends of that experience. I've already decided I'm telling my son to let his friends fight their own battles but he can be there to make sure everything is fair.

It was stated and proved Trump uses those types of arm movements when he is imitating people showning frustration especially the left about him.

The reporter has never used those types of arm movement and Trump has used those types of arms movements when talking about other people.

It doesn't matter who - why would Trump need to make those kind of gestures at all, unless he is childishly mocking someone?

And lol at "showing frustration" - he was pissed off that people were questioning him on his idiotic statement that 'thousands of people were cheering in the streets when the twin towers fell'.

The president is a role model by default, due to his position, and since he spent his campaign mocking people for their appearance and other personal insults that weren't connected to politics he is of course going to make some people think it's good to act like that. His voters were applauding all his antics, giving their approval to such behavior and showing that many think bullying is only wrong when it happens to someone they like.

He's far from the only one to be a role model that does that of course, but that doesn't make it any better.

It doesn't matter who - why would Trump need to make those kind of gestures at all, unless he is childishly mocking someone?

And lol at "showing frustration" - he was pissed off that people were questioning him on his idiotic statement that 'thousands of people were cheering in the streets when the twin towers fell'.

The nad movements are part of his speaking style.

I’m not sure we’re he got it from and he seems to be doing better at not doing it.

He’s not Iltian so I have no idea with him but I have seen plenty of people that use their hand when talking.

Back