News Two days in Moore, Oklahoma

Oklahoma is kind of blows if you don't like ultra conservativism and rampant racism, which is ironic since most Oklahomans have some indian blood. When I lived there, I was introduced to the concept of Sundown towns, places that if you were colored you had to be out of the city by night. Sounds like a joke but it isn't. It is like a concentration of all the worst things in the midwest. The only places worth living in at all are OKC and Tulsa.
Sundown towns aren't limited to Oklahoma. And OKC or Tulsa are far from the only places worth living.

Sounds like it was good you moved . . . what was it like living here in the 1960s?

i almost felt bad about how quickly this thread turned, but didn’t because oklahoma
giphy.gif

Oklahoma is kind of blows if you don't like ultra conservativism and rampant racism, which is ironic since most Oklahomans have some indian blood. When I lived there, I was introduced to the concept of Sundown towns, places that if you were colored you had to be out of the city by night. Sounds like a joke but it isn't. It is like a concentration of all the worst things in the midwest. The only places worth living in at all are OKC and Tulsa.
OKC was a shithole in the 90's when I lived there. Gang related fights or disturbances almost every weekend at the mall. High concentration of rednecks. Just not a good place to live and I was glad to leave.

That tornado in the video wiped out the office complex that my business was based out of (I had moved on a few years before that though).

If you're interested in the tornado history of Oklahoma specifically the city of Moore this is the video for you. It's 42 minutes but it's worth the watch if you've got time.

It was 25 years ago on May 3 when the historic storms came through the state.

Tornados are as fascinating to me as they are terrifying, I'll definitely give this a watch later tonight. You're on my radar, those posts in the Tyson Foods thread are some of the best I've read all year. A nice switch up from the 2A debates you're usually involved in, lol. I often agree there too.

From lawton, Oklahoma here.

This thread has me dying lol. Good work fellas, sorry @spamking I guess we're just not a big deal

Meh, sometimes it's better to go unnoticed and not thought about. I tend to think every state in the union has things to offer, whether it be through natural resources, natural beauty, or cultural heritage. OK comprised a large stretch of the Mother Road U.S. Route 66; I've only been through the state once on a road trip with my fam when I was a teenager and two things stood out: A diner we pulled into served up the best chicken fried steak I've ever had and the National Cowboy Museum is one of the most impressive I've ever seen, though probably boosted by me loving all things Old West.

OKC was a shithole in the 90's when I lived there. Gang related fights or disturbances almost every weekend at the mall. High concentration of rednecks. Just not a good place to live and I was glad to leave.

That tornado in the video wiped out the office complex that my business was based out of (I had moved on a few years before that though).
Parts of OKC are still not that great. We're a little north of the OKC metro and have watched subdivision after subdivision popup where farms used to be. I'm ready to move out to the woods and out of the crowded metro area for sure.

Hopefully, you and yours are good. That Barnsdall storm this week said hold my beer . . .
We didn’t get a scratch, 2.5 miles east of us is where all the damage you see pics of is. Yes, Barnsdall took it on the chin badly.

I don’t believe you unless you’re 90 years old

I'm from Oklahoma, and was in dental school for the Murrah Building bombing and then the lovely tornadoes in Moore.

The 2 tornadoes took almost the same path through Moore.

Moore is a nice burb between OKC and Norman. All good places to live.

You know, one time I went on the road trucking for a month until I realized it wasn’t for me. I learned an important lesson.

There is an absolute FUCKTON of cows in Oklahoma.

From Ohio here as well.

Back