Social SoCal surfer is angry at random people filming surfers and uploading vids to YT before the surfers can upload their vids.

California doesn't really have private beaches like that.

Above the high tide line can be private property, but the water isn't private.

This is true..... buuuuuut.... there are some great breaks that you can only really get to through private property or a trail that the locals will guard and enforce. It sucks.

This is true..... buuuuuut.... there are some great breaks that you can only really get to through private property or a trail that the locals will guard and enforce. It sucks.
There is that billionaire dude who co-started Sun Microsystem (Vinod Kholsa) who tried to block the public from accessing a public beach because he didn't want them on the beach in front of his waterfront property and have them traverse through a public right-of-way adjacent to his property.

In an overarching question about the morality of filming people, I tend to side with the person being filmed. Not talking about legality, because I'm for free speech and reducing freedoms opens up a can of worms. I just think it's rude, and profiting off of other people going about their day -- something that YTers, streamers and tiktokers do -- is lame.

At best, in the specific case in the op, the best one can do is ostracize the uploaders and confront them in real time. But don't overreact. Cordial conversations go a long way.

Zeke, the surfer in question, is using this as an extension of 'respect the locals', something I can get behind, only he's going about it the wrong way. It's all 'me me me'.

Also, @Whippy McGee

Yeah... that dude can get bent. He was likely surfing at Wind and Sea (locals issue) La Jolla Cove or Blacks Beach. They have localism issues on good days, but not too bad. Blacks is a hell of a walk, unless you take the dangerous shortcut off the road. I went to school at UCSD right above it for my undergrad studies. It the first place I ever paddled out and it didn't go well, not because of the locals, but because I was a full kook and didn't know what the hell I was really doing, but with me... I go for it until I do.

Pro Surfers / You Tube Surfers should welcome the extra coverage. It's not like us geeks that will watch a good sessions at Blacks or Lower Trestles or any great break won't catch their video too. He has no right. This tells me that he never had his ass properly kicked to lose his primadonna status. There are some surfers like that and they are not chill.

I got outside during that swell... hell of a work out... right on the Southside of the HB pier. Only 7-10 guys made it out, but it was worth it for sure. I should have gotten in my truck and went to far better places that day, but home is home.

There is that billionaire dude who co-started Sun Microsystem (Vinod Kholsa) who tried to block the public from accessing a public beach because he didn't want them on the beach in front of his waterfront property and have them traverse through a public right-of-way adjacent to his property.

Yep. That shit happens often with the Uber Rich. There are stories of Barbara Streisand being a total asshole about her place in Malibu.

Oh yeah, cunts be like that.

"There are peasants blocking my ocean view!"

"You don't own the ocean man."

"Time to put up a bunch of fraudulent No Parking signs until we get forced to cease and desist!"

My favorite locals story that I personally dealt with was in Maui. Honolua Bay is an awesome dive, snorkel, etc. spot on most days. Amazing! But... when the swell is right it is a world class surf spot. I happened to go on a day that was good, not great, and got the local treatment on my way out, in the surf line up, and on my first wave. In all fairness, I was on a rented board and likely looked like a tourist kook. At this time, I was in my young 30's and a solid surfer. I gave up multiple waves trying to be respectful and finally had mine.... all mine. I dropped in (6 foot) and made my bottom turn. As, I went to go down the line a local dropped right in on me. When that happens the wave will crumble on the guy in the back and he eats shit... much of the time. Now, my first thought was to spear this mother fucker with my board, but got through that and just pulled right up on his ass nearly touching him. We road together for at least 20 yards before he realized I was right there and I saw his eyes bug out. He knew if he went down, I would run him over. He popped out of the wave and I did the same right behind him. He said... "shit brah... I thought you would go down." I smiled and said... "Yeah... I get it. I'll respect the line up." After that .... no issues. I did witness a few others get run that didn't have the skill required. To be honest, guys / gals that are at a break they are not good enough for, should be run off. They are a danger to themselves and everyone else.

Sorry guys... I am geeking out. I do that with Surfing, Aviation, MMA, Football, and Poker.

Ear shit CANlifornia prick and stay the fuck out of Texas

lol... the only good surf in Texas is when a hurricane hits or off a tanker. I've been down to Bay City (STP Nuclear Plants 1&2) a few times. Never any surf. You guys are safe from us.

lol... the only good surf in Texas is when a hurricane hits or off a tanker. I've been down to Bay City (STP Nuclear Plants 1&2) a few times. Never any surf. You guys are safe from us.

Theyre some good waves down in galveston, surf city, and south padre my dude. Wasnt calling u out..

If he has a strong subscriber following then who cares. The people are gonna want to watch his videos and not be looking for some random YouTube upload of him surfing

It would be different he owned the beach. If it's public then you can film anything that you can see with your eyes.

Back