Social SoCal surfer is angry at random people filming surfers and uploading vids to YT before the surfers can upload their vids.

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
TL : DR

- A San Diego surfer is mad at people on the beach filming surfers and uploading the video to YouTube

- This guy says that the surfers have their own camera crew in the water (or film themselves) and plan to upload video of themselves on their channels, but these random people on the beach upload their vids before the surfers can edit and upload theirs.

---

From Surfer magazine

San Diego Pro Surfer Jacob 'Zeke' Szekely Condemns 'Random Filmers' During Historic Swell (WATCH)

There’s a conundrum in modern day professional free surfing.

On one hand, cameras are everywhere these days, increasing visibility for these surfers who rely on clips and edits and videos as a main part of their livelihoods.

Then, on the other, someone else – other than their filmer – may capture their best clips on the best day, then upload it. The clips are in the wild. The surfer may have been saving those clips for their own project. But the world has already seen them.

---

I get his point: that it's unfair someone else is benefitting off of work they did not do; but I just can't see how you can stop random people filming in public. The only possible redress could be for YouTube to take the videos down if a surfer can prove they are pictured in the video and they did not give permission for video of their 'work' being uploaded.

YT can take stuff down for whatever reason they want. So if they agree it is unfair for Party X to monetize / benefit from content created by Party Y without Party Y's permission they may agree with this aggrieved surfer and his buddies.

Last edited:
The irony is that surfers have a popular stereotype for being territorial, harassing newbies who enter breaks the local surfers think belongs to them. How true this stereotype is I don't know. Could be true for some areas??
I've heard the same thing from a surfer. So the solution is for the surfers to beat up the people filming and chasing them off their turf. It could unite them, if only for a small time.

I've heard the same thing from a surfer. So the solution is for the surfers to beat up the people filming and chasing them off their turf. It could unite them, if only for a small time.
Probably wouldn't work cause their battery and assault would be on film.

Youtube will only step in if the video you filmed of someone else without their permission is monetized. otherwise, sucks to be you

Would be hilarious if some randoms use a drone to film the surfers.

There's a YT channel devoted to drone filming great white sharks near the beach; in SoCal. Plenty of video of sharks getting very close to surfers, paddle boaders, kayakers, swimmers etc...

free-minds-free-culture-2-25in-thumbnail-e1344364417993.png

I say tough shit. If you're out in public you're fair game.
not only that, but the surfers clearly dont know how YT works, and how this can favor the surfers......

if you're a nobody/small following, you want this, YT is clearly smart enough to match faces with the actual surfer if there is another channel involved, it gets people to watch multiples of similar content, that's one of the good things about the algorithm.

In an overarching question about the morality of filming people, I tend to side with the person being filmed. Not talking about legality, because I'm for free speech and reducing freedoms opens up a can of worms. I just think it's rude, and profiting off of other people going about their day -- something that YTers, streamers and tiktokers do -- is lame.

At best, in the specific case in the op, the best one can do is ostracize the uploaders and confront them in real time. But don't overreact. Cordial conversations go a long way.

Zeke, the surfer in question, is using this as an extension of 'respect the locals', something I can get behind, only he's going about it the wrong way. It's all 'me me me'.

Also, @Whippy McGee

The irony is that surfers have a popular stereotype for being territorial, harassing newbies who enter breaks the local surfers think belongs to them. How true this stereotype is I don't know. Could be true for some areas??
There is truth to this, but it depends on location and how much of an asshole the surfer is. It also depends on the scenario. There is definitely an etiquette that if crossed you could get your ass beat. I grew up in Hawaii and was a fairly avid sponger (bodyboarder). When you're out there mixed with surfers it's hard because they can catch waves further back than you so it's always important to place yourself strategically and be patient when a set rolls in. I've seen tourist get harassed by locals, but usually for good reason. I remember one time tandem surfers not only tried to drop in on a wave I was already on, they ate it and I got hit by their long board. I could have been read bad if it wasn't for my board and arm blocking it from hitting my head.

It's true in some areas for sure. I've dealt with it in California... Malibu and North of LA, and even Maui. You can run into it at some spots in San Diego. In Orange County, I was part of a crew (Boyztown) back in the 1990's that ran the HB Pier. My boys were a bunch of thugs. I didn't realize it, as I rented a studio above the garage from the main guy that needed to fill it. I didn't even surf well, but was young 20's and in peak shape. I grew up a skier in Tahoe and skateboarder... beside virtually every sport with a ball and Wrestling. They put a Boyztown sticker on my shitty board. One of the guys is a famous artist named Aggy that designed the logo, you can still see his murals on PCH from Laguna to Sunset Beach (HB). That sticker, made everyone know that I was not to be messed with and I had zero clue. I would drop in like a kook on someone and get away with it. Anyways, on days when the Boyztown crew paddled out at the HB pier, if you didn't know us, you got run or you got a fight. That's how it went. Surfers fight. Once I realized how we were the baddies, I did a lot of surfing alone. I only hit a guy one time during surfing. I don't feel bad for it. He had it coming. I did see some guys get their asses kicked for simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time. It never sat well with me as I hate bullies.

Back