Television TV Show Thread

“Because child molesters are very tenacious people. They love molesting childs [sic], it’s crazy. It’s like their favorite thing. I mean it’s so crazy because when you consider the risk in being a child molester—speaking not of even the damage you’re doing, but the risk—there is no worse life available to a human than being a caught child molester and yet they still do it. Which from, you can only really surmise, that it must be really good. I mean from their point of view, not ours, but from their point of view, it must be amazing for them to risk so much!
[...]
Look, I can’t key into it. Because I love Mounds bars, I love Mounds bars, it’s my favorite thing right, but there’s a limit. I can’t even eat a Mounds bar and do something else at the same time, that’s how much I love them. Like if I’m eating a Mounds bar I can’t read the paper. I have to just sit there with it in my mouth, and go ‘Why is this so good? I love this so much.’ Because they are delicious, and yet if somebody said to me ‘if you eat another Mounds bar you will go to jail and everyone will hate you,’ I would stop eating them. Because they do taste delicious, but they don’t taste as good as a young boy does—and shouldn’t!—to a child molester”
~~ Louis CK

Too soon?

I enjoyed Big Little Lies and Euphoria. I liked Watchmen to begin with but didn't finish it, most other people liked it though.

was it just me or was the first season of Big Little Lies substantially better than the second. I think there was a lot of meandering in that second season while in the first, every plot thread seemed narratively tight.

was it just me or was the first season of Big Little Lies substantially better than the second. I think there was a lot of meandering in that second season while in the first, every plot thread seemed narratively tight.
It was, yes. Don't quote me on it, but I don't think the author had planned on a second book till the success of the first season if indeed she did write a second, but it didn't feel right, no.

It was, yes. Don't quote me on it, but I don't think the author had planned on a second book till the success of the first season if indeed she did write a second, but it didn't feel right, no.

Yeah I believe that's true. She wrote a second season specifically due to interest/popularity and there wasn't source material for it. All things considered, it still had a lot of good acting but the plot threads were all over the place and the ending didn't feel earned to me. It seemed like they wanted to make it a showcase for Streep vs. Kidman and most of the other plot threads and characters arcs went to the sidelines because of it.
Adam Scott and Witherspoon had a great dynamic between their characters in both seasons where it felt like an authentic couple but the second season setup for their plot- him overhearing the daughter mentioning her infidelity- seemed really contrived. I don't know. That kind of thing happens but it just felt tacked on.

Zoe's character's dealing with the weight of what had happened was not allowed room to play out to the extent that it probably should have. The angles with her mother and marital discord just struck me as being out of nowhere and not sufficiently explored.

I feel that Woodley really had a thankless storyline in the second season compared to the far more complicated dynamic in the first one. And the same goes for Dern where her and Woodley's stories intersected so organically (as well as the feud with Witherspoon) in the first season and yet she had to deal with the issue with her husband's crimes that just did not seem to really relate to what was going on in the broader scope of the series.

Essentially, season 1 the plotlines all crossed and coalesced but in the second it's like everyone's got their own thing going on but only one of them is treated with the focus and attention.

Yeah I believe that's true. She wrote a second season specifically due to interest/popularity and there wasn't source material for it. All things considered, it still had a lot of good acting but the plot threads were all over the place and the ending didn't feel earned to me. It seemed like they wanted to make it a showcase for Streep vs. Kidman and most of the other plot threads and characters arcs went to the sidelines because of it.
Adam Scott and Witherspoon had a great dynamic between their characters in both seasons where it felt like an authentic couple but the second season setup for their plot- him overhearing the daughter mentioning her infidelity- seemed really contrived. I don't know. That kind of thing happens but it just felt tacked on.

Zoe's character's dealing with the weight of what had happened was not allowed room to play out to the extent that it probably should have. The angles with her mother and marital discord just struck me as being out of nowhere and not sufficiently explored.

I feel that Woodley really had a thankless storyline in the second season compared to the far more complicated dynamic in the first one. And the same goes for Dern where her and Woodley's stories intersected so organically (as well as the feud with Witherspoon) in the first season and yet she had to deal with the issue with her husband's crimes that just did not seem to really relate to what was going on in the broader scope of the series.

Essentially, season 1 the plotlines all crossed and coalesced but in the second it's like everyone's got their own thing going on but only one of them is treated with the focus and attention.
The Dern situation, I have a feeling they put that in just for her to get her acting chops around. And she really did. I couldn't flippin stand LAura Dern in anything till the first season of BLL and I'd give her a go in anything now. You know what, apart from that plot line I am really struggling to remember anything else. I should probably have just said I really liked season 1. I still enjoyed S2 but the feel of S1 was so good. And although it was pretty much all about women, guys could watch it too.

The Dern situation, I have a feeling they put that in just for her to get her acting chops around. And she really did. I couldn't flippin stand LAura Dern in anything till the first season of BLL and I'd give her a go in anything now. You know what, apart from that plot line I am really struggling to remember anything else. I should probably have just said I really liked season 1. I still enjoyed S2 but the feel of S1 was so good. And although it was pretty much all about women, guys could watch it too.

That show really propelled Dern to a whole other level. She's been around for years and I've liked her work in different roles but now she's eating up awards and nominations and probably can write her ticket for whatever next projects she wants.

This week

Finished binging the 9th season of Peep Show on Netflix

Finished the last season of the Last Kingdom

Watched all of Stargirl, fuck knows why, it was shit

Watched first three episodes of Warrior Nun then dumped that one

made it to episode 102 of Its always sunny...

Finished I'll be gone in the dark

Watched the first episode of Perry Mason.. wont be bothering with that.

Nearly finished season 2 of the Alienist

Watched episode 1 of P-Valley, going to watch more of that tonight, could be interesting

Started season 2 of The Rain

Also someone has finally put full english subs for Tehran up on opensubtitles so going to start doing that tonight.

upload_2020-8-15_0-57-20.jpeg

Last edited:
theres 2 shows ive noticed that are geared towards mobile, the premises look interesting but each episode is only a few min long and i prefer to watch them on tv, so its weird

the most dangerous game with liam hemsworth i think and christoph waltz, its like the running man

the fugitive starring jack bauer

This week

Finished binging the 9th season of Peep Show on Netflix

Finished the last season of the Last Kingdom

Watched all of Stargirl, fuck knows why, it was shit

Watched first three episodes of Warrior Nun then dumped that one

made it to episode 102 of Its always sunny...

Finished I'll be gone in the dark

Watched the first episode of Perry Mason.. wont be bothering with that.

Nearly finished season 2 of the Alienist

Watched episode 1 of P-Valley, going to watch more of that tonight, could be interesting

Started season 2 of The Rain

Also someone has finally put full english subs for Tehran up on opensubtitles so going to start doing that tonight.

View attachment 791058
How you gonna watch all of Stargirl but bail on Warrior Nun? (I watched both. Neither are particularly good, but Warrior Nun was definitely better.)

I saw you mention Barkskins in here so I gave it a go and really liked it. I hope there will be a second season.

theres 2 shows ive noticed that are geared towards mobile, the premises look interesting but each episode is only a few min long and i prefer to watch them on tv, so its weird

the most dangerous game with liam hemsworth i think and christoph waltz, its like the running man

the fugitive starring jack bauer

Yeah, I think the platform is called Quibi or something like that. The Most Dangerous game is worth a watch, I enjoyed it. I actually like the shorter run time on episodes as an alternative to to the standard 30 min or 60 min episodes.

Yeah, I think the platform is called Quibi or something like that. The Most Dangerous game is worth a watch, I enjoyed it. I actually like the shorter run time on episodes as an alternative to to the standard 30 min or 60 min episodes.
isnt the total running time like akin to a 2 hour movie?

Back