Trump rolls back Michelle Obama lunch program on her birthday...

It's required as part of my house loan.

My question stands.
Uh...are you saying if it weren't required you would not buy insurance on your house? Really?

I didn't think you were actually serious about this. In that case, I buy health insurance because I'm not an idiot. If something terrible were to happen and I became seriously injured or sick I would be up shit creek with the outrageous cost of medical care in this country.

In Central/Eastern Europe, people walk a lot more too. When I was in the USA I noticed you guys use your car for literally everything.
You have not been in my area people walk everywhere. Even in the middle of a winter storm. I walk a lot too it really depends on the area. There a guy in my area who's 83 an walks a few miles every day without fail.

Honestly, I don't think it's the diets that has seen a rise in childhood obesity. It's the lack of exercise. We've all been eating like shit throughout the generations, and for the most part, it all worked itself out. The spike is due to more and more technological devices being introduced, that has kids spending less and less time doing physical activity.

At first there were TV's, and then videogames. Both of which at least required kids to get off their asses to go to a friend's house to chill out, and have a social interaction. Now we have these devices where everyone is connected with the touch of a button, giving the entire generation less incentive to get off their asses to connect with their friends. Just a bunch of pods never moving, because they don't have any reason to.

To be fair that is not new. This has been around for at least 20 years, although it was not as mainstream as it is now.

Uh...are you saying if it weren't required you would not buy insurance on your house? Really?

I didn't think you were actually serious about this. In that case, I buy health insurance because I'm not an idiot. If something terrible were to happen and I became seriously injured or sick I would be up shit creek with the outrageous cost of medical care in this country.

But you just said nothing terrible has happened for 20 years.

If you add up the costs of what you've paid over 20 years vs the one terrible thing happening (which of course you didn't specify) which is more?

See, you're bitching about the high cost of premiums in markets you've been forced into. Health insurance was mandated under Obama. If it wasn't and you didn't like the cost of premiums you could just exit the market and rely on your supposed superior lifestyle, or demand the unhealthy people move to a high risk market where they pay more. But now you're in the same pool, and you're forced to obsess over what some underprivileged fat kid in high school eats for lunch. Feels good, eh?

In Central/Eastern Europe, people walk a lot more too. When I was in the USA I noticed you guys use your car for literally everything.
To be fair, population density plays a lot into this. Belgium is a tiny country (smaller than most US states) but in terms of population is up there with some of the most populated (excluding outliers like Cali and Texas). You tell someone in New Mexico they should walk more and the justified response will be "bitch are your crazy?"

There are cultural issues that exacerbate this like cars being social currency and taking the bus meaning you're a bum, but in general most Americans have to travel through a lot more land mass to get anywhere.

Well, feeding children is a parents job. I will send my daughters with healthy lunches. I dont want the government feeding my children.

Schools should hire cooks to scratch make meals anyway.
Years ago, my kid brought a note home from school. His teacher sent a frowny face note reminding us to not pack "cookies" for my kid for school snack.

However, they were homemade flaxseed bars my wife made. It's not like we sent him to school with Oreos.

Our note back was to tell her to mind her own business and not tell us what to feed our kid (of course in a nice manner).

To be fair, population density plays a lot into this. Belgium is a tiny country (smaller than most US states) but in terms of population is up there with some of the most populated (excluding outliers like Cali and Texas). You tell someone in New Mexico they should walk more and the justified response will be "bitch are your crazy?"

There are cultural issues that exacerbate this like cars being social currency and taking the bus meaning you're a bum, but in general most Americans have to travel through a lot more land mass to get anywhere.
Obviously they're justified in not walking to the grocery store 10 miles away. But man that's not the extent of it. The nationwide average man is 5'9 195 lbs and woman 5'3" 170 lbs. In New Mexico that's probably 5'9" 220 lbs and 5'3" 190 lbs. I've been to the south before man. Those fuckers drive up their driveway to get to the mailbox. I've seen it.

Great job by GOATPOTUS!

I hope this contributes to the wasted food that ends up in the landfill and also puts another zero in the bank accounts of the already wealthy.

To hell with those poor hungry kids. Should’ve been born into higher status parents. It’s not like royalty takes free meal handouts and contributes nothing to society.

Obviously they're justified in not walking to the grocery store 10 miles away. But man that's not the extent of it. The nationwide average man is 5'9 195 lbs and woman 5'3" 170 lbs. In New Mexico that's probably 5'9" 220 lbs and 5'3" 190 lbs. I've been to the south before man. Those fuckers drive up their driveway to get to the mailbox. I've seen it.
Yeah it's not a complete cop out by any means, it just explains a big part of it.

Like I said, there are cultural issues (you have to explain to people why you DON'T own a car, not the opposite), sometimes the climate doesn't help (walking a single mile during the worst times of summer is a hellish experience) and public transportation outside of the big cities is complete shit if it exists at all.

But you just said nothing terrible has happened for 20 years.

If you add up the costs of what you've paid over 20 years vs the one terrible thing happening (which of course you didn't specify) which is more?

See, you're bitching about the high cost of premiums in markets you've been forced into. Health insurance was mandated under Obama. If it wasn't and you didn't like the cost of premiums you could just exit the market and rely on your supposed superior lifestyle, or demand the unhealthy people move to a high risk market where they pay more. But now you're in the same pool, and you're forced to obsess over what some underprivileged fat kid in high school eats for lunch. Feels good, eh?

I would never not have health insurance. Are you insane? Do you even know what surgery and a week's stay in the hospital costs in this country? We're talking north of $100,000 in some cases.

Who the hell says "I haven't been sick in a long time so obviously I don't need insurance"? You buy health insurance (and insurance in general) for the disasters you can't foresee. It doesn't matter how "superior" your lifestyle is when you get cancer or some life threatening infection.

I would never not have health insurance. Are you insane? Do you even know what surgery and a week's stay in the hospital costs in this country? We're talking north of $100,000 in some cases.

Who the hell says "I haven't been sick in a long time so obviously I don't need insurance"? You buy health insurance (and insurance in general) for the disasters you can't foresee. It doesn't matter how "superior" your lifestyle is when you get cancer or some life threatening infection.

Oh so you'd rather pay the high premiums with the unhealthy people now? The 20 years of not visiting a doctor doesn't matter anymore?

Interesting.

Oh so you'd rather pay the high premiums with the unhealthy people now? The 20 years of not visiting a doctor doesn't matter anymore?

Interesting.

Uh if the alternative is getting a bill for $100,000 in the mail, then yes? Where did I ever say I didn't want health insurance?

I'm not sure how you're not getting this. Some dip shit said it's nobody's business how unhealthy other people's lifestyles are; I merely pointed out that we all quite literally pay the price for it. Are you denying that?

Honestly, I don't think it's the diets that has seen a rise in childhood obesity. It's the lack of exercise. We've all been eating like shit throughout the generations, and for the most part, it all worked itself out. The spike is due to more and more technological devices being introduced, that has kids spending less and less time doing physical activity.

At first there were TV's, and then videogames. Both of which at least required kids to get off their asses to go to a friend's house to chill out, and have a social interaction. Now we have these devices where everyone is connected with the touch of a button, giving the entire generation less incentive to get off their asses to connect with their friends. Just a bunch of pods never moving, because they don't have any reason to.

Obviously it's a combination of several factors but between exercise and diet, diet is by far the bigger factor.

Especially sugar.

But overall, it's all the processed shit we eat. 1,000 calorie of more natural food burns faster than 1,000 calories of cookies, deli meat, and $1 white bread.

It's funny that Republicans are all for spending as little as possible on public schools, then complain that the kids can't get good food. Maybe if they supported more tax dollars going into the public education system then schools will provide better lunches.

I don't see what's wrong with schools not offering junk as a meal. I don't think it needs to be an extreme on either way, but I don't want schools providing garbage as typical meals to kids. There's no reason why schools should be offering junk as meals. Offering healthy main courses and clean sides without offering candy and garbage isn't too difficult to do. There's no need to offer ice cream and chocolates and sodas. If the parents raised a shitty kid who refuses to eat that option, then they are perfectly welcome to pack a lunch for their child.

American kids are facing the biggest obesity crisis ever and it's a huge public health concern for that we should take seriously. Pretending like it's the schools fault is a bunch of shit. It's the parents fault for raising kids with poor diets and the voters fault for preventing schools from having enough funds to have good lunch programs. Pretending like it's impossible to get kids to eat healthy is some real bullshit too. Kids grow up eating what is available and taught to them. If they won't eat healthy it's because the parents didn't raise them to eat healthy.

Obviously it's a combination of several factors but between exercise and diet, diet is by far the bigger factor.

Especially sugar.

But overall, it's all the processed shit we eat. 1,000 calorie of more natural food burns faster than 1,000 calories of cookies, deli meat, and $1 white bread.

I would disagree. Diet is obviously a factor, but you can burn off most any diet if you're active. If you're not active, you could eat healthy and still end up fat because you're not burning anything off.

Now, that's not the rule for everyone, as metabolisms can be wildly different between individuals.

I also have personal experience that might make me a little biased as well. When I lost weight after being generally chunky growing up, it had nothing to do with my diet. I just happened to find a job where I had to bust my ass. The pounds flew off, and I was still eating rather poorly. Granted, what I was doing was way more active than what an average kid would be doing even if they were getting off their asses to go outside and play. In general though, it was definitely the exercise that got me slimmed down.

My neighbors used their car to go to the mailbox and take out their trash.

Be fat then, lol. There’s not a lot of valid excuses for driving when the distance is less than 5km’s.

In the US people looked at me like I was insane for walking 2km’s to the stop and shop.

What do you mean people 'always ate like crap'? In the past, in times of scarcity, people ate foods that were low in nutritional value e.g. potatoes, grain. But they didn't eat much of it. In times of plenty, continental Europeans ate amazing food with high nutritional value e.g. the French and Italians, but not large quantities. Eating immense quantities of nutritionally worthless food is a new phenomenon to the past 60 years, and only in certain countries i.e. anglo-saxon ones that basically have no food culture.

Who do you want to tell you what is healthy.
This fatass.
tXeFzkFl.jpg

Or this half Explosive Alpha
main-qimg-a78ed6b16d58b04218c11e1d8ad40bc5-c

Uh if the alternative is getting a bill for $100,000 in the mail, then yes? Where did I ever say I didn't want health insurance?

I'm not sure how you're not getting this. Some dip shit said it's nobody's business how unhealthy other people's lifestyles are; I merely pointed out that we all quite literally pay the price for it. Are you denying that?

I'm saying that you're bitching about having to pay for health insurance because of unhealthy people, but you're still buying it regardless.

So either a) you're not as much of an ubermensch as you claim and you need the health insurance or b) you just got suckered out of 20 years worth of premiums you didn't need.

Back