• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tom Aspinall suggests he might have pursued Miocic fight if he were Jon Jones

r1252064_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Tom Aspinall understands why Jon Jones wants to fight Stipe Miocic.

Jones (27-1, 1 NC) was originally scheduled to defend his heavyweight strap against Miocic (20-4) at UFC 295 in November 2023 but was forced out due to a torn pectoral muscle. To keep a heavyweight title tilt on the card, Tom Aspinall (14-3) faced and knocked out Sergei Pavlovich for the interim variety. Since then, Jones has suggested he will stay the course and has his sights set solely on the former heavyweight champion rather than the surging 31-year-old.

With no timeline for Jones’ return, Aspinall initially called for the champ to be stripped of his title. However, the Brit has since changed his tune and has been rallying for a clash against Jones. “Bones” does not want that matchup; the same goes for Miocic. Some expect that when Jones and Miocic collide—a date for their meeting is rumored for November—it will be a retirement match for both heavyweights.

With Jones and Miocic turning him down, Aspinall agreed to defend his interim throne against Curtis Blaydes (18-4) in the co-main event at UFC 304. Jones took a shot at the interim title defense, labeling it a ‘number one contender’ fight. Despite the snub, Aspinall does not hold any ill will towards Jones or Miocic, even saying he understands where they are coming from. Aspinall talked with Title Sports Network on Saturday, where he suggested that he might have done the same if he were in Jones’ situation.

It's a backhanded compliment:

“No, no, no. I’d be very, very surprised if Jon Jones ever signed a contract to fight me,” the 31-year-old Brit said. “Very Surprised. I don’t think it’s gonna happen. I’m very skeptical. Jon Jones is a smart man. And if the shoe was on the other foot and I was in his spot, and I was like, ‘Right, I can fight this 42-year-old guy who’s at the end of his career and make probably five times more money than he can fighting me,’ I would definitely do that as well.”

Will we see Jones vs Aspinall?

No. UFC can't pull it off. I'll be impressed if they do, it's the best fight of the decade.

Did Jones chose wisely?

Nah, I don't care about Jones-Miocic, it won't do anything for Jones' resumé.

Is the Interim Belt, the real belt?

Yes.

Let Tom bang bro?

Yes.

Yeah, Tom's just tooting his own horn here.

But at this point, anyone would in his shoes.

If Tom Aspinall were Jon Jones, Nina Drama wouldn't have rejected him.

I think most of us get why Jon is doing it, at least from HIS perspective.

It's one of the lowest risk to highest reward match ups he could pick at HW.

Stipe has the name. Two time HW champ.

UFC probably pays him a handsome fee for it.

The main issue is virtually no one outside of Jons remaining fans and pink Goof cares about this match up whatsoever at this stage of their careers.

Stipes last fight he got flatlined in, and he has been MIA since then, for quite some time.

It's just a bizarre match up tbh.

Well, yeah. anyone who was handpicking their opponents to avoid dangerous contenders would fight the name coming out of retirement.

Any cheers imho were undeserved after his 10 years of a nonstop HW hiding period.

No!!!!! Lol

Highkey...really sir? Lol

It's a backhanded compliment:

“No, no, no. I’d be very, very surprised if Jon Jones ever signed a contract to fight me,” the 31-year-old Brit said. “Very Surprised. I don’t think it’s gonna happen. I’m very skeptical. Jon Jones is a smart man. And if the shoe was on the other foot and I was in his spot, and I was like, ‘Right, I can fight this 42-year-old guy who’s at the end of his career and make probably five times more money than he can fighting me,’ I would definitely do that as well.”
323_Daniel_Cormier_x_Stipe_Miocic.jpg

:eek:

<shadface><shadface><shadface>

I still think Mr. Stipey could have possibly beaten Aspinall if they made that fight happen after Jon pulled out of UFC 295. I'd give him a 50/50 chance.

lol after he posted that his fight with blaydes is a big risk
tom tryna controll damage right now by posting this

Any cheers imho were undeserved after his 10 years of a nonstop HW hiding period.
those 10 years he wiped out the LHW division
the hardest division

you can google it yourself if you dont have an idea
check out his resume

Tom is incredible at demoting himself. Perhaps the best I have ever seen.

Yes, it was an obvious backhanded remark. But fancy telling everyone that Jones would make 1/5th the amount of money fighting you over someone else, which likely isn't even remotely true.

He's wildly exaggerating in order to tell everyone how little people give a shit about him, which is a bold strategy, Cotton.

Stipe is a bona fide great of the sport. He will go down as that no matter how the rest of his career goes.

Aspinall is still a question. He could be a great but he could also flame out and go on a huge losing streak.

If you're Jones and you're going to risk losing to one of them, Stipe makes way more sense.

Will we see Jones vs Aspinall?
Sadly no

Did Jones chose wisely?
Very likely yes

Is the Interim Belt, the real belt?
Nope

Let Tom bang bro?
Sure thing but first it's obvious THAT UFC are going to squeeze every dollar they can from the "Jon Jones Era".​
jon-jones-ufc.gif

Christ only knows how much the Madison Square Garden tickets will cost...... A fortune I am sure.

They're paying Jones and Miocic many millions each (rumor Jones is getting approx 15million) and quite a lot of it is likely base pay (guaranteed) so..... They're gonna market the hell out of it and push that November event hard.

Christ only knows how much the Madison Square Garden tickets will cost...... A fortune I am sure.

They're paying Jones and Miocic many millions each (rumor Jones is getting approx 15million) and quite a lot of it is likely base pay (guaranteed) so..... They're gonna market the hell out of it and push that November event hard.

If you want to enjoy the action up close at UFC 295, you might have to buy tickets that are in the six figures, specifically $112,236.80. The astonishing figures have left the fans perplexed and dumbfounded.

If you want to enjoy the action up close at UFC 295, you might have to buy tickets that are in the six figures, specifically $112,236.80. The astonishing figures have left the fans perplexed and dumbfounded.
Ludicrous.

That's like the only people who would actually consider that is folk like Kanye West and other Uber rich pop stars or whoever.

I dislike the corporate greed shown here by the UFC. regular fans simply cannot afford PPV ticket prices especially not events like Jon Jones (alleged) last ever UFC fight.

I'd really like the UFC to commit to having at least 30% of all the event tickets capped at a max price of something like 400 or 500dollars. Even that is quite a lot.

These 4-figure and 5-figure ticket prices are unfair on regular fans and I hope there's some sort of PR backlash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back