• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tom aspinall on fighting blaydes

If Tom wins, it does not do anything for him - he will still be the interim champ and the nr. 1 contender. He gains nothing career wise.
If Tom loses, he will lose interim title, nr.1 contender status, and the chance to fight for the belt.

So ya....It is not a "lose-lose", more like a "gain nothing - lose a lot" situation.
so avenging a loss is not a win2x situation?
i thought aspinal aims for great legacy
he should start avenging his loss and wipe out generations of HWs

you havent heard guys like gsp ,anderson or jones cry on twitter when they where up and comers

so avenging a loss is not a win2x situation?
i thought aspinal aims for great legacy
he should start avenging his loss and wipe out generations of HWs

you havent heard guys like gsp cry on twitter when they where up and comers
Career wise - no. Winning the belt means he could fight Blaydes whenever he wants, also means he makes a lot more money. Fighting Blaydes now is just a risk that could ruin Toms career, or at least set it back 3-4 fights.

And Tom is not an up and commer. He is the interrim champ and the nr.1 contender.

Last edited:
Curtis was piecing him up before the injury(which he also caused). I bet he derails the Tom hype train. Which is gonna make the Jones haters ultra mad.

CYRIL GANE WILL PUT ON AN ABSOLUTE MASTERCLASS AGAINST JON

to 1D Cyril just bc Jon squashed him like a bug
I love how you guys need to make up these fantasy scenarios in your head to make yourself feel better.

Jon was -170 in the Gane fight, and the consensus was that Jon would win - especially after seeing Francis grapplefuck Gane. But yeah, keep using fantasy scenarios to back up your opinions.

I cant tell if everyone actually thinks aspinall is THAT good or if they just really hate jon jones. for me personally I have not seen enough from tom yet to think he is going to be anything close to a HW GOAT like people claim.

While Curtis is not a popular guy, I wouldn't call it lose-lose. He has a chance to avenge his only UFC loss, and beat a stylistically tough top fighter. It's not like he's fighting Megan Anderson. That would be a lose-lose
It's definitely a good win and a defence of the interim belt that will look good on his crusade to fight Jone's or get the full belt if Jone's retires in November. Fighting popular guys is a false positive. Your name doesn't grow more from the other guys name, it grows from the performance itself. Conor became massive after beating sever and Brimage and a young no name Holloway and a young no name Dustin. The performances are what got him the bigger names and the title shots... and his banal trash talk.

Curtis shouldn't be taken lightly. If I am Blaydes I look to get the fight to ground and work GNP. I don't think Tom has Werdum level bottom game. Clearly Tom is faster and more dynamic on the feet, But if Blaydes lands standing it could get interesting. Very good fight.

I cant tell if everyone actually thinks aspinall is THAT good or if they just really hate jon jones. for me personally I have not seen enough from tom yet to think he is going to be anything close to a HW GOAT like people claim.
I have said this many times - I think Jon beats Aspinall. The point is not about who we/I think will win, but about who deserves to fight for the belt. To me, that will always be the interrim champ and the nr.1 contender. I don't think there has ever been an interrim champ that did not fight the champ when he returned.

Career wise - no. Winning the belt means he could fight Blaydes whenever he wants, also means he makes a lot more money. Fighting Blaydes now is just a risk that could ruin Toms career, or at least set it back 3-4 fights.

And Tom is not an up and commer. He is the interrim champ and the nr.1 contender.
Tom won't get set back 3-4 fights if he loses to Curtis. The division is shallow. He'll likely be in contention again after 2 wins.

I think Blaydes is a tougher stylistic matchup for Aspinall than Jones would be, particularly because of Blaydes' punching power. I'm hoping Blaydes shoots for takedowns so we can see Aspinall's TDD and bottom game.
If Curtis fights smart and mixes his striking with his wrestling as he did with Overeem years ago, Tom is going to be in for a tough night. I just hope Curtis can show up and perform. He always fumbles the contender fights.

Tom won't get set back 3-4 fights if he loses to Curtis. The division is shallow. He'll likely be in contention again after 2 wins.
That all depends on who the fuck knows what. Right now the nr.1 contender and interim champ is not fighting for the belt, right? We don't even know if he gets to fight for the belt if he wins against Blaydes. And if he loses, who knows how many fights he need to win to be able to fight for the title. And what if he loses one of those fights? And what if Jon wins vs Stipe, and he decides to hang around 1-2 years without fighting again?

That all depends on who the fuck knows what. Right now the nr.1 contender and interim champ is not fighting for the belt, right? We don't even know if he gets to fight for the belt if he wins against Blaydes. And if he loses, who knows how many fights he need to win to be able to fight for the title. And what if he loses one of those fights? And what if Jon wins vs Stipe, and he decides to hang around 1-2 years without fighting again?
Very valid point but if he sits out until he can get Jon then he will be no different from Stipe and will just hold the division up. So he pretty much has to fight.

Hate this type of comment.

Cheering for Blaydes now.

it's so funny that you can get a title shot at heavyweight without someone even attempting a TD on you, did anyone shoot on Gane before Francis? Holy shit no one shot once on Gane or Tom according to UFC stats, the absolute state.

Definitely not lose lose. Blaydes is solid and the rightful #1 contender. If Tom wins, he defended against a tough opponent.

Back