Elections There's one issue that Democrats seem to agree on: Paying teachers more

How much do you think 6 figures is?

You know what an average is, correct? If the average salary is 90k, that means theres a pretty decent amount of people clearing 100k, to make the average at 90k.

And on top of that, the average would actually be higher if there wasnt teachers working towards there master's while starting their career, thus making their starting salary lower.

You know what an average is, correct? If the average salary is 90k, that means theres a pretty decent amount of people clearing 100k, to make the average at 90k.

It also means that a solid majority dont. So easily clearing 100k is just a lie.

My sister's base salary in 98,000 with 5 years experience, then she does 1 hr study hall after school for an extra 3,500. so, imagine what she'll retire at.

It also means that a solid majority dont. So easily clearing 100k is just a lie.

As a rebuttle, a solid majority do...

If you're saying those below average are a solid majority, then wouldn't those above average be a solid majority?

As a rebuttle, a solid majority do...

If you're saying those below average are a solid majority, then wouldn't those above average be a solid majority?

No. I am saying of the average is 90k, then half of people make less than that. And if half of people make less than 90k, then more than half make less than 100k. This is what's known as a "majority"

Guess I can see why you are anti education. Didnt get enough of it.

No. I am saying of the average is 90k, then half of people make less than that. And if half of people make less than 90k, then more than half make less than 100k. This is what's known as a "majority"

Guess I can see why you are anti education. Didnt get enough of it.

Anti education because i feel that an average salary of 90k to work less then 10 months a year isn't adequate?

They get the raises their union contracts demand. The only reason they strike is because they do it during the school year and use the kids as hostages to get what they want.

In multiple instances with the strikes we saw last year one of the reasons the teachers were striking was because they hadn't seen a raise in nearly a decade.

On average teacher salaries when adjusted for inflation have gone done over the last decade.

Here, updated source. My prior was from 2012. This is 2017-2018

Across New York state, public school teachers are making well more than six-digit salaries and taking home generous benefits and retirement packages, as well, with instructors in one school district on Long Island averaging more than $161,000 per year.

Source: https://onenewsnow.com/education/2017/06/05/ny-teachers-on-long-island-avg-161kyr

That doesnt have an average pay for New York at all. At least try to be honest.

That doesnt have an average pay for New York at all. At least try to be honest.
Who's not being honest? That's what i meant when i mentioned earlier about the cost of living. I mentioned that upstate new yorks cost of living is more on par with the midwest. So, the teachers above nyc wouldn't make close to that

Who's not being honest? That's what i meant when i mentioned earlier about the cost of living. I mentioned that upstate new yorks cost of living is more on par with the midwest. So, the teachers above nyc wouldn't make close to that

Oh, so teachers easily clearing 6 figures in New York now comes with a bunch of caveats.

That would be you being dishonest.

Oh, so teachers easily clearing 6 figures in New York now comes with a bunch of caveats.

That would be you being dishonest.

Is long island not new york? Which would mean you could make 6 figures. The opportunity is there

Is long island not new york? Which would mean you could make 6 figures. The opportunity is there

No. Long island is not all of New York.

Man, education really has failed you. I'd be pissed too, I can see where you are coming from.

No. Long island is not all of New York.
Man, education really has failed you. I'd be pissed too, I can see where you are coming from.

I said "here" in my first post. I responded new york i shoud have specified long island.

Of course it is.

Teacher pay isn't frozen. They get pay increases every year and generally wages negotiated by a union at that.
I'd like to make more too. In fact, I've never met anyone who thought they made enough money.

I'd prefer we set the bar higher for teachers before talking about increasing wages as a general rule.

Then explain why we saw multiple strikes across multiple states where the teachers hadn't had an across the board raise in 7-10 years?

Make the process to become teachers more streamlined.

We need more professionals with years of experience being recruited to teach.

We need more fomer engineers, chemists, accountants, nurses, etc in the educational field.

At least make it easier for private school teachers to teach in public schools.

Sure, I'd like more in my paycheck. But, it's more important to me to have more colleagues with more life experiences and expertise in their teaching field.

People in those professions won't teach if you don't pay them well enough. That's litterally why there is a teacher shortage in a number of states. Qualified people quit to go do other things

Just counted on my daughter's school calendar- 26 paid holidays and vacation days not including summer break. Thats counting 1 week in February and April each. Christmas break (which is short this year because of the days the holidays fall) as well as all the federal holidays.

Add the 2.5 months for summer break and I was only a little bit off. Certainly a better vacation package than most get, no?

So is 45 K per year that bad when you get like 4 months off per year, not to mention the good benefits?

I have respect for good teachers, I just think there are too many shitty ones to throw money blindly at the profession.

You're looking at your kids schedule after someone already, more politely then they could have, explained to you that just because the kids are not in school doesn't mean the teachers aren't.

44k is a bad return on a master's degree. Most other professions that require that level of education pay substantially more to start (17-20%), and still offer equivalent benefit packages.

And in those professions you won't have instances like we see in a number of states, whole fucking states, where teachers hadn't seen a pay raise since the Great Recession. I can't think of another master degree requiring profession that when adjusted for inflation actually makes less then they would a decade ago.

In multiple instances with the strikes we saw last year one of the reasons the teachers were striking was because they hadn't seen a raise in nearly a decade.

On average teacher salaries when adjusted for inflation have gone done over the last decade.

Again, they got the raises their union negotiated for them. That's entirely on the teachers and their unions for accepting those deals.

Back