Elections There's one issue that Democrats seem to agree on: Paying teachers more

PHATV

Boss Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Teachers? WTF? They get great pay and benes and huge pensions here. K-12, and don't even worry about college professors. Jesus you want to talk about overcompensated look there. Summers and several breaks off so take their salary X 1.25 and many make way more than they ever could in the private sector, and have the huge, unsustainable (for us, great for them) pensions to boot. It's not a bad living at all and I don't know any teachers who themselves say it is among those I know, which is plenty. Including 3 couples who are both teachers. They are sitting pretty in their early 40s.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/issue-democrats-debate-teachers-134037341.html

Bu-bu-but, they teach our children! They are heroes, and above any criticism!

Teachers do not get great pay, especially not when considering the amount of education required for the profession.

They frequently aren't given raises for years and years until they are forced to strike over it.

Are you high or something?

I'm all for this, but first they have to purge all the Marxists and replace them with teachers.

Depends on the state and district. Look at the teachers striking recently in Oklahoma and West Virginia where you've got starting pay around 40k a year.

That for a job that is incredibly stressful and involves tons of extra hours put in outside of school.

You might as well go ahead and start bashing cops for getting paid too much while you're at it.

Depends on the state and district. Look at the teachers striking recently in Oklahoma and West Virginia where you've got starting pay around 40k a year.

That for a job that is incredibly stressful and involves tons of extra hours put in outside of school.

You might as well go ahead and start bashing cops for getting paid too much while you're at it.
Yea 40k a year isn’t much for someone with a college degree. TS sounds...........wait for it.............

uneducated.

Teachers do not get great pay, especially not when considering the amount of education required for the profession.

They frequently aren't given raises for years and years until they are forced to strike over it.

Are you high or something?

Teachers here make 6 figures easy...and i know a couple of them who tutor on the side and make a killing...but, i pay 24,000 in taxes

Teachers? WTF? They get great pay and benes and huge pensions here. K-12, and don't even worry about college professors. Jesus you want to talk about overcompensated look there. Summers and several breaks off so take their salary X 1.25 and many make way more than they ever could in the private sector, and have the huge, unsustainable (for us, great for them) pensions to boot. It's not a bad living at all and I don't know any teachers who themselves say it is among those I know, which is plenty. Including 3 couples who are both teachers. They are sitting pretty in their early 40s.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/issue-democrats-debate-teachers-134037341.html

Depending on where you live, teachers may be comfortably compensated or hugely underpaid, especially since most of them have $20,000-$60,000 of student debt.

Having a college-educated teacher with five-figure debt making $35k, for instance, is unacceptable in my opinion.

I'm all for this, but first they have to purge all the Marxists and replace them with teachers.

....do you seriously think or worry that K-12 teachers are Marxists?

Good lord, I wish the incidence of Marxists in the country was a thousandth as large as right-wingers seem to think. In reality, we make up about 0.1% of the population and are pretty well concentrated in professions like public defenders and union organizers.

That's not universal. In fairness, there are underpaid teachers, but let's not pretend that they're ALL underpaid, like their union wants you to believe. A lot of them are sitting pretty, and looking for more.

They get the raises their union contracts demand. The only reason they strike is because they do it during the school year and use the kids as hostages to get what they want.

It totally depends on the state and the district. Like most quality of living things in the US (sadly),as a general rule the further South you go, with the exception of California (which is too expensive), the shittier everything is (I say sadly because I'd love to live somewhere with better weather than Wisconsin). My wife and I are both teachers and we do great. Wisconsin has the best public pension (it's the one that all states study for a model on how it should be done), but we are not immune to the rising costs of healthcare plans, which kind of have a cancelling effect on any cost-of-living pay increases we win. I make around 60K and my wife makes around 75K, which makes us solidly middle class but not upper or definitely not wealthy. Our lifestyle and home would be very different if only one of us worked or if we had more than one kid. I should also note that our salaries are reflective of 18 years each in the profession, plus master's degrees. The stories you hear about the teachers with 6 figure compensation are probably folks who have multiple post-graduate degrees, 20+ years experience, are department chairpersons, and coach or advise multiple extracurricular activities. Starting pay in both the districts where we work is around 42-45K.

It's all relative. A couple of teachers making a combined $135K is middle class where we live, but wouldn't even be able to pay rent in some cities. Likewise, there are places where that combined salary would make us some of the richest people in town, but a) we wouldn't want to live there, and b) teachers wouldn't get paid shit in places like that, anyway.

Not really sure why teachers deserve a windfall. They get more vacation than anyone in the world. The benefits are generally good.

The stories you hear about the teachers with 6 figure compensation are probably folks who have multiple post-graduate degrees, 20+ years experience, are department chairpersons, and coach or advise multiple extracurricular activities. Starting pay in both the districts where we work is around 42-45K.
Thats the way it should be.

45K for starting pay is pretty solid, considering you have like 5 months of vacation per year.

Not really sure why teachers deserve a windfall. They get more vacation than anyone in the world. The benefits are generally good.

Receiving more compensation for your job is not a windfall. I'd rather teachers make more, rather than some wall street cunt being bailed out over and over.

Yeah, they didn't start that high, but the ones I know make $75k and up and that's with a masters. OH has like a 90% walkout (pension based on your final salary) being moved down to 75% or something, but they will be at $100k easy by retirement (grade school and HS teachers I know, I'm speaking of) so $75,000 cash pension at retirement with annual cost of living increases compounding and great medical. Pretty nice. Much better than they would have found in the private sector and nobody has any pension anymore, generally 401k only that is their age in corporate America. They will have a pension like only the top execs get. I wish I had thought of it being in OH with summers off but I never really considered it.

Last edited:
Receiving more compensation for your job is not a windfall. I'd rather teachers make more, rather than some wall street cunt being bailed out over and over.
Of course it is.

Teacher pay isn't frozen. They get pay increases every year and generally wages negotiated by a union at that.
I'd like to make more too. In fact, I've never met anyone who thought they made enough money.

I'd prefer we set the bar higher for teachers before talking about increasing wages as a general rule.

Of course it is.

Teacher pay isn't frozen. They get pay increases every year and generally wages negotiated by a union at that.
I'd like to make more too. In fact, I've never met anyone who thought they made enough money.

I'd prefer we set the bar higher for teachers before talking about increasing wages as a general rule.

We set the bar at working in crowded schools with far too many children per class, limited resources and a general lack of funding for educational services. Again, I would much rather they receive money for the insanely important job they do, rather than some wall street or corporate asshole who gets bailed out over and over again, like the latest GOP President's tax cut, which worked so well when the previous GOP Presidents did the same thing.........

We set the bar at working in crowded schools with far too many children per class, limited resources and a general lack of funding for educational services. Again, I would much rather they receive money for the insanely important job they do, rather than some wall street or corporate asshole who gets bailed out over and over again, like the latest GOP President's tax cut, which worked so well when the previous GOP Presidents did the same thing.........
I'd rather they earn it. I'm OK with it if we make it merit based.

Back