Elections There's one issue that Democrats seem to agree on: Paying teachers more

Thats funny, I was thinking the same about you.

How am I unethical ? Because I believe pay increases should be justified? Because I don't think you deserve riches for an entry level job?
How am I short sighted when its you talking about blanket rewards?

You haven't even qualified your justification. It's meaningless, crass boilerplate. And at the same time you'll knob gobble Trump and his admin while they deregulate the financial industry, give their friends sweetheart deals in government contracts, and side with big business, no matter the issue.

"I don't think you deserve riches for an entry level job?" Much intelligent.

You get the feeling that today's conservatives want public school teachers to barely make a living wage. Sentiment seems to have become more popular as the educational structure of the country has come under attack from this vast movement of private schools stealing public money.

we had a band teacher make 130k a year and we didn't have a marching band.

nobody complains more than the teachers I've had and they mostly did a lousy job.

God damn school teachers with their Ferrari's and their cocaine.

You get the feeling that today's conservatives want public school teachers to barely make a living wage. Sentiment seems to have become more popular as the educational structure of the country has come under attack from this vast movement of private schools stealing public money.

It's almost as if they see more education as being a path away from conservatism or something..........

After 10 years or so they do well. All the career teachers i know retired very well. My 35 year neighbor hs teacher is borderline wealthy. other retired teachers on my Facebook travel a lot. They get high respect in the community.

Summer vacation up here is Mid June to September 1st-ish. 2.5 months.
Christmas break varies, generally a week and halfish. Thanksgiving is a 5 day weekend. A week in February.. A week in April as well and every single holiday paid. Am I really that far off?

Those are the holidays and vacation times for the students, not the employees (I've never had a week off in February). It's nothing personal, but it is a common misconception that when students aren't at school, neither are school employees. For example, teachers report a week early and end the year a week after students. There are 52 weeks in a year and students attend 36 (180 days) by law. Teachers work 38-39 weeks and you're looking at about 3 months off/year. Some of these, like Summer and Spring Break, are specific to the profession, and others, like federal holidays, are days that a lot of workers have off. We do get a lot of time off, though, not arguing that, and I am not going to get into what is expected of us to do during this time off, because that is arbitrary and anecdotal.

After 10 years or so they do well. All the career teachers i know retired very well. My 35 year neighbor hs teacher is borderline wealthy. other retired teachers on my Facebook travel a lot. They get high respect in the community.

Nice! As it should be (especially the "high respect in the community" part)!

Nice! As it should be (especially the "high respect in the community" part)!
I don't get upset about it, but I also wouldn't spend to much time telling people who have to jump from job to job how bad they have it.

I linked several articles in previous threads about teachers who had to go to school and incur debt to get their jobs and still having to apply for welfare because their salary wasnt enough.

Those are the holidays and vacation times for the students, not the employees (I've never had a week off in February). It's nothing personal, but it is a common misconception that when students aren't at school, neither are school employees. For example, teachers report a week early and end the year a week after students. There are 52 weeks in a year and students attend 36 (180 days) by law. Teachers work 38-39 weeks and you're looking at about 3 months off/year. Some of these, like Summer and Spring Break, are specific to the profession, and others, like federal holidays, are days that a lot of workers have off. We do get a lot of time off, though, not arguing that, and I am not going to get into what is expected of us to do during this time off, because that is arbitrary and anecdotal.

Just counted on my daughter's school calendar- 26 paid holidays and vacation days not including summer break. Thats counting 1 week in February and April each. Christmas break (which is short this year because of the days the holidays fall) as well as all the federal holidays.

Add the 2.5 months for summer break and I was only a little bit off. Certainly a better vacation package than most get, no?

So is 45 K per year that bad when you get like 4 months off per year, not to mention the good benefits?

I have respect for good teachers, I just think there are too many shitty ones to throw money blindly at the profession.

Did they learn about their biologically female penis in science class?

Are you speaking of intersex people? It would probably depend. Perhaps you might learn about things like chromosomal differences or undeveloped gonads, ovaries, etc in a health class. Teaching kids about these differences isn't akin to telling kids to chop their dicks and labias off and use them as scarfs, though, which is what you seem to think is going on nationwide.

I await the genus riposte of "Well, well, what about tranny night in Houston? I wasn't even invited!!!! Also, why do we even need libraries?"

Yeah, they didn't start that high, but the ones I know make $75k and up and that's with a masters. OH has like a 90% walkout (pension based on your final salary) being moved down to 75% or something, but they will be at $100k easy by retirement (grade school and HS teachers I know, I'm speaking of) so $75,000 cash pension at retirement with annual cost of living increases compounding and great medical. Pretty nice. Much better than they would have found in the private sector and nobody has any pension anymore, generally 401k only that is their age in corporate America. They will have a pension like only the top execs get. I wish I had thought of it being in OH with summers off but I never really considered it.

I think this highlights the fact that America needs vast reforms that bring pensions back to sector after sector, because the hyper rich are the only ones who get them now.

Are you speaking of intersex people? It would probably depend. Perhaps you might learn about things like chromosomal differences or undeveloped gonads, ovaries, etc in a health class. Teaching kids about these differences isn't akin to telling kids to chop their dicks and labias off and use them as scarfs, though, which is what you seem to think is going on nationwide.

I await the genus riposte of "Well, well, what about tranny night in Houston? I wasn't even invited!!!! Also, why do we even need libraries?"
How come these highly edumucated people break down in tears and run away when their opinions are challenged?

Well, the leftists do at least.

The conservatives can at least answer a question.

Back