Elections There's one issue that Democrats seem to agree on: Paying teachers more

I'm all for this, but first they have to purge all the Marxists and replace them with teachers.

No chance in hell of that happening with the teachers union.

'Higher pay for teachers' is code for giving more money to public-sector teachers unions, which most of it goes to management and donations to Democrat campaigns, and the little that is left goes to the teachers.

More Democrats get elected, calls for higher pay for teachers, and the cycle continues.

Retarded, this coming from someone who is a teacher.

More charter schools please.

I'd rather they earn it. I'm OK with it if we make it merit based.

Yeah, I'm not going to accept a conservative's metric on what qualifies as "earning it". Sounds a lot like the retardation that was No Child Left Behind and Every Student Succeeds. A thinly veiled excuse for conservative states to withhold educational funds.

Yeah, I'm not going to accept a conservative's metric on what qualifies as "earning it". Sounds a lot like the retardation that was No Child Left Behind and Every Student Succeeds. A thinly veiled excuse for conservative states to withhold educational funds.
And I'm not OK with rewarding people who don't improve our kids education.

No chance in hell of that happening with the teachers union.

'Higher pay for teachers' is code for giving more money to public-sector teachers unions, which most of it goes to management and donations to Democrat campaigns, and the little that is left goes to the teachers.

More Democrats get elected, calls for higher pay for teachers, and the cycle continues.
They need to cancel school altogether.

Just look at this shit.

...and people wonder why there are so many school shooters.

Worse.

Teachers used to build your character. Now they break you down, especially if you're white.

Of course it is.

Teacher pay isn't frozen. They get pay increases every year and generally wages negotiated by a union at that.
I'd like to make more too. In fact, I've never met anyone who thought they made enough money.

I'd prefer we set the bar higher for teachers before talking about increasing wages as a general rule.

Dude. Teacher pay is indeed "Frozen" all the damn time. In my state (Wisconsin), which I previously stated was one of the better ones for teacher pay and benefits in terms of relative to cost of living for making a middle class lifestyle, contracts are negotiated every other year and sometimes you'll actually go into the third year without a contract, so you're not getting an annual raise. You might get a paltry "cost of living" raise of like $600 bucks a year or something that actually amounts to a pay cut when you consider that healthcare costs go up like double digits every year. As it stands right now, the only ways to make more money above your base salary are longevity (depends on district and you may lose it if you switch jobs), coaching/advising extracurriculars, and postgraduate degrees. Those states that you see striking? Their "unions" are in name only, and many there haven't seen raises in between 5-10 years!

You don't seem to feel the need to do anything but generalize and make ignorant assumptions. This post of yours is good evidence.
Worse.

Teachers used to build your character. Now they break you down, especially if you're white.

Yet it's the left who has the victim complex. LOL

Yeah, they didn't start that high, but the ones I know make $75k and up and that's with a masters. OH has like a 90% walkout (pension based on your final salary) being moved down to 75% or something, but they will be at $100k easy by retirement (grade school and HS teachers I know, I'm speaking of) so $75,000 cash pension at retirement with annual cost of living increases compounding and great medical. Pretty nice. Much better than they would have found in the private sector and nobody has any pension anymore, generally 401k only that is their age in corporate America. They will have a pension like only the top execs get. I wish I had thought of it being in OH with summers off but I never really considered it.

Like I previously mentioned, the upper midwest/great lakes area is where you want to be as a teacher in America, because the salary relative to the cost of living allows you to be a middle class homeowner.

Yours is a good post and I'll tell you why: being a teacher, I tend to get defensive about the misinformation spread about how we get compensated, what our unions can and can't do, and how much or how little we work in a year. You are like the first person I've ever seen, who after pointing out that your state has a strong pension system for public workers, acknowledges that you at one time considered the profession but CHOSE NOT TO. Most people just point out how "overpaid" some profession is, relative to their own, and imply that everyone else should have the same shitty pay and bennies as themselves, as if their careers were something they were born into and had no choice over.

Thats the way it should be.

45K for starting pay is pretty solid, considering you have like 5 months of vacation per year.

Agreed that 45K is good starting pay (should be NATIONWIDE, but that ain't gonna happen, especially in the South), but "like 5 months of vacation per year"???? C'mon man. Unless you are counting Saturdays and Sundays as "vacation", that is laughable. For employees of a school district, school starts up a week before students attend and runs a week after they leave, and the days in the year when students have off that aren't Winter Break or Spring Break are professional development or meeting days. I'm not complaining that we teachers don't get enough vacation (we get more than anybody) but it's around 12 weeks/year, not "like 5 months". College professors, on the other hand...

Yes, your position is weak, as well as being petty, cunty, unethical and short sighted.
Thats funny, I was thinking the same about you.

How am I unethical ? Because I believe pay increases should be justified? Because I don't think you deserve riches for an entry level job?
How am I short sighted when its you talking about blanket rewards?

They need to cancel school altogether.

Just look at this shit.

...and people wonder why there are so many school shooters.

Holy shit.... please tell me this stupidity isn't widespread across all public schools.

Agreed that 45K is good starting pay (should be NATIONWIDE, but that ain't gonna happen, especially in the South), but "like 5 months of vacation per year"???? C'mon man. Unless you are counting Saturdays and Sundays as "vacation", that is laughable. For employees of a school district, school starts up a week before students attend and runs a week after they leave, and the days in the year when students have off that aren't Winter Break or Spring Break are professional development or meeting days. I'm not complaining that we teachers don't get enough vacation (we get more than anybody) but it's around 12 weeks/year, not "like 5 months". College professors, on the other hand...
Summer vacation up here is Mid June to September 1st-ish. 2.5 months.
Christmas break varies, generally a week and halfish. Thanksgiving is a 5 day weekend. A week in February.. A week in April as well and every single holiday paid. Am I really that far off?

Yes, to appease the incredibly rabid political teachers' unions and influence them to influence young people in their favor.

Public education in America is pure shit. Not least because teachers who work less than 180 days a year are more focused on bitching about their pay and the government is more concerned with indoctrinating kids with political correctness rather than education.

Thats usually their strategy. We will give u money and freebies if u keep us in power.

US schools pay like 9k per student, which us high as most western nations. Where is that money going? That's the real problem. Throwing money at the problem won't solve things

Back