Elections There's one issue that Democrats seem to agree on: Paying teachers more

Teachers (and cops) should be paid well. They provide an important service and we want good people to be competing for those jobs. But along with that there needs to be some standards and ways to get rid of the bad ones. I’m a very pro union guy and more left leaning on many things but this is one of those things the left doesn’t want to look at the nuances of. You want high pay so kids get a good education right? Shouldn’t we be sending the bad teachers packing for the same reason?
I remember when they were trying to shut down a couple of the worst schools in Chicago. Parents were picketing with teachers to keep them open. “I like my kids teacher. Protect her job.” The test scores in those schools and the drop out rate among the students were a fucking joke but people were fighting to keep their kid in that horrible school.

They need to cancel school altogether.

Just look at this shit.

...and people wonder why there are so many school shooters.

Lol new math is not that hard once you get into it a bit. I remember when the kids first started bringing it home and we were frustrated with the idea too. It works pretty good once you learn it though.
They are just breaking bigger numbers down so you can easily handle them in your head. She took a few more steps than I would have. But if you just break the 12 down it’s
(35*10 )= 350
(35*2))=70
add them together for 420
It’s really that simple.

The right is going full heel lol. Now it's "fuck off teachers, take your pay and fuck off...my taxes need downin'"...

Paying teachers more is definitely something we should be bitching about. Just give billionaires more money to sit on for a few generations and it will eventually trickle down. On the bright side, if we just trust Trump and re elect him, he'll show us that health care plan he's been plotting. That, incidentally, is by far Trump's best "vote for me" ploy. I want to meet the guy who buys into that.
Our schools don't need anymore money. They need to fix their performance compared to the rest of the world before they deserve even more money.

Education is like our healthcare system. The problem isn't money and it bothers me to see liberals suggest throwing endless tax money at broken systems.

4f0b5867eab8ea4c24000033-750-563.jpg

Not sure you understand how property taxes work...

Im getting murdered with property taxes, but atleast i have kids who are going to put them to some use.

A lot of people don't realize thats where the school money comes from

Our schools don't need anymore money. They need to fix their performance compared to the rest of the world before they deserve even more money.

Education is like our healthcare system. The problem isn't money and it bothers me to see liberals suggest throwing endless tax money at broken systems.

4f0b5867eab8ea4c24000033-750-563.jpg
It's not endless money.

And the right gave tax cuts to billionaires and are deficit spending titans...the right is officially done pretending it's fiscally responsible, everything the right does with money dwarfs the left with regards to ridiculous spending habits.

Teachers generally speaking do need a raise. But teacher salaries vary from state to state and from school district to school district. So a teacher in NYC making $100k isn't the same as a teacher making $40k in Tulsa. However, teacher pay is a also a matter of seniority.

The issue of teacher pay is that the school districts with the most need for qualified, experienced teachers are often paying the least amount of money for new teachers. Those places need a pay raise while places who already have experienced teachers probably don't need a raise.

But in any case, teacher pay shouldn't be a matter of seniority, it should be tied to something measurable.

It's not endless money.

And the right gave tax cuts to billionaires and are deficit spending titans...the right is officially done pretending it's fiscally responsible, everything the right does with money dwarfs the left with regards to ridiculous spending habits.
I never said the right is good too. They're not. But we're $20 trillion in debt, we can't just keep throwing money at all our problems. We spend too much on education and healthcare. Paying teachers more isn't going to make our schools any better. We need to fix the systems, not throw even more money at them.

Both of my parents were High Schools teachers and made 80k at the end of their careers in 2005ish. They both had M.S. degrees and taught 15min southeast of DC.

I know states like NY have better pay but I imagine the average teacher in an average state ain't making shit.

Most kids would get far more out of homeschooling than going to school.

Dude. Teacher pay is indeed "Frozen" all the damn time. In my state (Wisconsin), which I previously stated was one of the better ones for teacher pay and benefits in terms of relative to cost of living for making a middle class lifestyle, contracts are negotiated every other year and sometimes you'll actually go into the third year without a contract, so you're not getting an annual raise. You might get a paltry "cost of living" raise of like $600 bucks a year or something that actually amounts to a pay cut when you consider that healthcare costs go up like double digits every year. As it stands right now, the only ways to make more money above your base salary are longevity (depends on district and you may lose it if you switch jobs), coaching/advising extracurriculars, and postgraduate degrees. Those states that you see striking? Their "unions" are in name only, and many there haven't seen raises in between 5-10 years!

As @Seano mentions, it's still not "frozen". They continue to get annual COLA increases at a minimum that were already negotiated in a previous money grab. Again, I know a lot of teachers who are 40-retired. I know some who get at and over $100,000 CASH PENSIONS in retirement. OH and IL. The ones I know. Like $9000-$9500 cash monthly. So cry me a fucking river. One couple (IL) I know he gets $113,000 and she gets $90,000. Currently. He's been retired maybe 5 or 6 years (his first year was $108,000---at age 57) and she a couple. He was a HS drama teacher. No lie. I believe she taught middle school. $203,000 cash now between them and it compounds for the COLA increases annually. Almost $17,000 cash monthly. They are constantly at some Sandals resort somewhere. lol
Good folks, but certainly grossly overcompensated---at taxpayer expense. If you think that's sustainable, much less that they need more somehow and the feds should get involved, then I don't know what to tell you. They would tell you differently, but certainly aren't going to turn it down. They understand basic math. They know it's unsustainable.

I linked several articles in previous threads about teachers who had to go to school and incur debt to get their jobs and still having to apply for welfare because their salary wasnt enough.

Fake news. Lying to sell the narrative. Or 20-somethings just starting in an extremely high-rent district or something. I don't know what to tell you.

How much do you think 6 figures is?

$90,000 X 1.25 (time off multiplier, and don't forget they work less per day during the school year than a regular job, too) = $112,500. Plus the incredible medical and medical in retirement (from 57-65 when everyone else has to pay $10,000 a year for medical if they choose to retire "early") along with the previously mentioned golden-parachute like pensions.

Also, many of them couldn't hope to break the $60,000 threshold (w/o a pension) in the private sector. Simply not smart enough and lack the education. Try giving an elementary math teacher a math test sometime. Or a history test to a history teacher. You would be shocked.

It actually fucking blows my mind that people are complaining about teachers earning a range from lower-middle to solid-middle class income.

Holy shitballs, people. These are professionals, they should earn that much.

Both of my parents were High Schools teachers and made 80k at the end of their careers in 2005ish. They both had M.S. degrees and taught 15min southeast of DC.

I know states like NY have better pay but I imagine the average teacher in an average state ain't making shit.

What do they make per year in cash pension today? Please ask them. "None of your business" means $80k each and it goes up from there. lol
I bet people would be stunned. I bet they even make more this year than they made their best year working. I also bet I could be wrong (I don't know VA's teacher pensions and I assume that's where you mean), but I'm curious. That's about 15 years into retirement. Would be interesting.
In OH they would have walked out at 90% and be well over 100% of their walkout year by now (it climbs each year). Cash. That's a lot more than shit and must be factored in.
The couple I mention in IL will make millions in cash pension (each) if they live to be 85. Millions each. For not working.
The math doesn't work already in those states where it's that high. They are lowering it as we speak, but it's almost too late and even 65-70% coming in is 70% more than anyone in the private sector gets walking in, and a solid 45%-50% more than those who are retiring now with "great" corporate pensions get.
I bet your parents don't complain because nobody I know does and it makes you wonder who they're talking about when they cite it being grim for pay. Brand-new teachers with very little time in, I presume.
<Fedor23>

It actually fucking blows my mind that people are complaining about teachers earning a range from lower-middle to solid-middle class income.

Holy shitballs, people. These are professionals, they should earn that much.

$80,000 to $100,000 jobs where the salary continues FOREVER when you retire is lower-middle to middle class, huh?
{<huh}

$80,000 to $100,000 jobs where the salary continues FOREVER when you retire is lower-middle to middle class, huh?
{<huh}
No, 80-100k in some places is solid middle class, which is exactly the wording I used. Although in some places, 80-100k can leave you struggling a bit. Not sure why you'd try that sort of dishonesty, pretty blatant.

No, 80-100k in some places is solid middle class, which is exactly the wording I used. Although in some places, 80-100k can leave you struggling a bit. Not sure why you'd try that sort of dishonesty, pretty blatant.

You're missing the FOREVER part. The pensions. However, if you're talking San Francisco or Tokyo, I guess you're lower-middle. Nothing to spin. You said lower-middle to middle. Silliness.
Do you own a home(s) and pay property taxes and such or do you rent?

Back