Elections There's one issue that Democrats seem to agree on: Paying teachers more

It actually fucking blows my mind that people are complaining about teachers earning a range from lower-middle to solid-middle class income.

Holy shitballs, people. These are professionals, they should earn that much.

You libs are ridiculous and just like teachers because most of them are Marxist like you.

A wise man once said: those who can, do, those who can't, become teachers.

Fake news. Lying to sell the narrative. Or 20-somethings just starting in an extremely high-rent district or something. I don't know what to tell you.

You don't have to tell me anything. This thread has confirmed right wingers as anti education morans.

You're missing the FOREVER part. The pensions. However, if you're talking San Francisco or Tokyo, I guess you're lower-middle. Nothing to spin. You said lower-middle to middle. Silliness.
Do you own a home(s) and pay property taxes and such or do you rent?
Okay people get pensions...?

What do they make per year in cash pension today? Please ask them. "None of your business" means $80k each and it goes up from there. lol
I bet people would be stunned. I bet they even make more this year than they made their best year working. I also bet I could be wrong (I don't know VA's teacher pensions and I assume that's where you mean), but I'm curious. That's about 15 years into retirement. Would be interesting.
In OH they would have walked out at 90% and be well over 100% of their walkout year by now (it climbs each year). Cash. That's a lot more than shit and must be factored in.
The couple I mention in IL will make millions in cash pension (each) if they live to be 85. Millions each. For not working.
The math doesn't work already in those states where it's that high. They are lowering it as we speak, but it's almost too late and even 65-70% coming in is 70% more than anyone in the private sector gets walking in, and a solid 45%-50% more than those who are retiring now with "great" corporate pensions get.
I bet your parents don't complain because nobody I know does and it makes you wonder who they're talking about when they cite it being grim for pay. Brand-new teachers with very little time in, I presume.
<Fedor23>

Southeast of DC is MD and I'll ask next I see them. It ain't much though because they ain't rich. The only real wealth they have was from inheritence because my Father took care of his aunts and uncles when no one else did.

They seem to all agree on throwing money at everything. We already spend more per student than everywhere but Norway, so I really don't think any problems in education are because we just aren't spending enough money.

If there's any change that should be made, it's an adjustment of education requirements based on what they're teaching.

US schools pay like 9k per student, which us high as most western nations. Where is that money going? That's the real problem. Throwing money at the problem won't solve things

Administrative personnel from what I hear.

Administrative personnel from what I hear.
Yep, seems that way. Classes got bigger in the 90s when I was in HS. Despite funding increasing. Too man admin people couple up and suck from the govt doing almost nothing. It's waste and things like that need to be cut throughout the government

Southeast of DC is MD and I'll ask next I see them. It ain't much though because they ain't rich. The only real wealth they have was from inheritence because my Father took care of his aunts and uncles when no one else did.

Admirable. Family looks out for family, and a lot of folks are POS now when it comes to that. Plus, it's very hard.
I hope a few others who didn't help felt entitled and were salty about the will. I've seen it. F 'em.

Love to hear what they say if they're honest with you. And that district may not have been as generous as others when they were there, but I'm interested in their view all the same.

Last edited:
US schools pay like 9k per student, which us high as most western nations. Where is that money going? That's the real problem. Throwing money at the problem won't solve things

It's all going to the pensions. Retiree obligations. And then some. Because it has to.
Not to beat a dead horse, but think of it this way...They have lowered it for new hires, but OH had the 90% walkout. So, you get out of college at 22 and get hired on, at an entry-level salary. You get your masters online at no cost to you typically, and it bumps up quite a bit. At 57, you have 35 years in which was enough to get the 90% walkout. Now you're making let's say $90,000. Conservative, but we'll roll with it. So if you retire at 57 with a cash pension of $81,000/year to start and you get a 3% COLA each year, compounded it's simple math. So as the next 10 years go by, your cash pension is:
$81,000
$83,430
$85,932
$88,511
$91,166
$93,901
$96,718
$99,620
$102,608
$105,687
by the time you're 67 and if you last another 20 or even 30 years? You'd be amazed where it's going.

I know a guy who was selling cars in Cali and he had a guy in his mid-90s come in several years back. Maybe 6 years back. Retired teacher. Retired nearly 40 years. He said he asked him his weekly income and he said $5,000. Told me he said "Sir, I need to get your weekly income. Is that maybe your monthly?" and the guy looked at him funny and said "No, weekly. Monthly is $20,000." And it was 100% pension, not dividends or other investments. Just wow. A quarter million a year for not working.

Teacher salaries are public in OH, so I look them up. When my daughter who is now 16 was in kindergarten, her teacher made $85,800. So 11 years ago. And I'm not in an affluent area/school district, even. Not too shabby.

It's all going to the pensions. Retiree obligations. And then some. Because it has to.
Not to beat a dead horse, but think of it this way...They have lowered it for new hires, but OH had the 90% walkout. So, you get out of college at 22 and get hired on, at an entry-level salary. You get your masters online at no cost to you typically, and it bumps up quite a bit. At 57, you have 35 years in which was enough to get the 90% walkout. Now you're making let's say $90,000. Conservative, but we'll roll with it. So if you retire at 57 with a cash pension of $81,000/year to start and you get a 3% COLA each year, compounded it's simple math. So as the next 10 years go by, your cash pension is:
$81,000
$83,430
$85,932
$88,511
$91,166
$93,901
$96,718
$99,620
$102,608
$105,687
by the time you're 67 and if you last another 20 or even 30 years? You'd be amazed where it's going.

I know a guy who was selling cars in Cali and he had a guy in his mid-90s come in several years back. Maybe 6 years back. Retired teacher. Retired nearly 40 years. He said he asked him his weekly income and he said $5,000. Told me he said "Sir, I need to get your weekly income. Is that maybe your monthly?" and the guy looked at him funny and said "No, weekly. Monthly is $20,000." And it was 100% pension, not dividends or other investments. Just wow. A quarter million a year for not working.

Teacher salaries are public in OH, so I look them up. When my daughter who is now 16 was in kindergarten, her teacher made $85,800. So 11 years ago. And I'm not in an affluent area/school district, even. Not too shabby.

God damn, thought my pension system was great. Not many people even have access to a pension anymore. I get to start collecting mine at 52. I'm lucky with my career.

God damn, thought my pension system was great. Not many people even have access to a pension anymore. I get to start collecting mine at 52. I'm lucky with my career.

Very nice and very lucky. Nobody private sector gets a pension anymore. Only gubblemint and union. Trade union pensions have gone to shit, too. Guys collecting $3000 and $4000 a month now and my buddies who are about 50 (+/- a few years either way) have calculated theirs out and they will get like $1500 a month when they retire years from now. The brotherhood, baby! One for all and all for one!

Teachers? WTF? They get great pay and benes and huge pensions here. K-12, and don't even worry about college professors. Jesus you want to talk about overcompensated look there. Summers and several breaks off so take their salary X 1.25 and many make way more than they ever could in the private sector, and have the huge, unsustainable (for us, great for them) pensions to boot. It's not a bad living at all and I don't know any teachers who themselves say it is among those I know, which is plenty. Including 3 couples who are both teachers. They are sitting pretty in their early 40s.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/issue-democrats-debate-teachers-134037341.html

College professors are the worst paid profession in the whole country(if they aren't tenured which is the overwhelming and growing majority). Closest thing we have to slavery outside of the penal system tbh.

Very nice and very lucky. Nobody private sector gets a pension anymore. Only gubblemint and union. Trade union pensions have gone to shit, too. Guys collecting $3000 and $4000 a month now and my buddies who are about 50 (+/- a few years either way) have calculated theirs out and they will get like $1500 a month when they retire years from now. The brotherhood, baby! One for all and all for one!

Yeah, didn't realize how lucky i was until i see all my friends worrying about 401k's. A pension is safety, my wife gets it if I die. Like you said, its only unions and the government emoloyees.
Without a guarenteed pension. No fucking way would i continue on.

Didn't read the thread, only commenting on the title...

I'm on board with paying educators and those responsible for safeguarding and improving the future of our societies (first responders, counsellors and politicians amongst them) top dollar. That generous compensation should come paired with being held to a strictly enforced higher standard. No personal opinions or values injected into curriculum should be high on the list of demands made of educators as well as hammering out a bullet roof code of ethics. I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for, and a quality education for future generations is one of the best investments we can make.

I personally know kids who's lives were turned around by teachers who helped them get through rough spots and didn't abandon them in times of need thereby turning a potential problem child into an upstanding member of the community. My eldest niece was one of those kids and the teacher who took her under her wing and worked with us really made a difference. Educators spend so much time with our kids that they can be an invaluable tool, for the lack of a better term, so let's enable them to do better and set them up for success. And if they fuck up? Well, hellfire and brimstone.

$81,000
$83,430
$85,932
$88,511
$91,166
$93,901
$96,718
$99,620
$102,608
$105,687

Yikes. But yes people retiring on a pension that promises raises and other such nonsense forever, is going to suffocate many countries. Wow man. Not sure what I can say

Didn't read the thread, only commenting on the title...

I'm on board with paying educators and those responsible for safeguarding and improving the future of our societies (first responders, counsellors and politicians amongst them) top dollar. That generous compensation should come paired with being held to a strictly enforced higher standard. No personal opinions or values injected into curriculum should be high on the list of demands made of educators as well as hammering out a bullet roof code of ethics. I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for, and a quality education for future generations is one of the best investments we can make.

I personally know kids who's lives were turned around by teachers who helped them get through rough spots and didn't abandon them in times of need thereby turning a potential problem child into an upstanding member of the community. My eldest niece was one of those kids and the teacher who took her under her wing and worked with us really made a difference. Educators spend so much time with our kids that they can be an invaluable tool, for the lack of a better term, so let's enable them to do better and set them up for success. And if they fuck up? Well, hellfire and brimstone.
Solid post, i strongly agree with them being held to a higher standard.

The issue of teacher pay is that the school districts with the most need for qualified, experienced teachers are often paying the least amount of money for new teachers. Those places need a pay raise while places who already have experienced teachers probably don't need a raise.

I hear Hawaii has a major shortage and stringent requirements. Can confirm the high cost of living. Sounds like an increase in the pay-scale is in order.

You libs are ridiculous and just like teachers because most of them are Marxist like you.

A wise man once said: those who can, do, those who can't, become teachers.

says the retard stocking shelves at an amazon warehouse. maybe if you weren't such a dipshit as a kid you wouldn't have fuckin idiotic retard opinions. i'd blame your teachers but i'm sure you went home and your fat disgusting moose of a mother told you that you were perfect and to ignore any criticism a teacher ever had of you.

spend 1 day as a teacher in a difficult classroom. you'd go crying to your fat obese white trash mother whining how it's such a hard job and you need to be paid more.

Back