The year is 2006. Chuck Liddell vs Mirko Cro-Cop @ HW in Pride. Who wins?

Yeah I firmly believe that Randleman did exactly what Chuck did to him. Chuck was celebrating with Randleman in his corner that night, and you just know that he taught Kevin that tricky jab that snaps into a hook. It was smart of him to set it up with that takedown attempt first.

Well.. didn't Randleman himself confirm this in like multiple interviewes? He said he talked to Chuck asking for an advice on Mirko and Chuck told him to throw that punch. For the life of me I can't find the source right now.

theres a reason why chuck was cutting weight n not fighting hw.

I would take Cro Cop via KO/TKO.

I believe Chuck is tailor made for Cro Cop. Chuck is quite susceptible to leg kicks, if Mirko looks to use those, I believe he would light Chuck up pretty badly with them. He would slow Chuck down pretty quickly because he kicks so damn hard and his timing is very good with them, and also because Chuck does fail to check a lot of kicks sometimes.

Mirko is also great at moving away, cutting angles and landing that counter left on his opponent. Chuck gets very frustrated if his opponent is constantly moving away from him and not playing into his game, and chasing Mirko is a very, very bad thing to do.

If Mirko can make Chuck chase him and make him angry, he would have tons of success landing that lightning quick counter left. The fact Chuck keeps his hands as low as he does and overcommits when chasing his opponent due to frustration, that would be a huge factor against Mirko back in those days, in my opinion.

So, if he can irritate Chuck by moving away and cutting angles around him, which he would, Chuck will start chasing him, overcommitting and leaving openings for that counter left, and he will do great with landing his leg kicks because Chuck is quite susceptible to them.

Chuck could definitely win this fight, though. He has the power to do it. Chuck is also very good with countering while moving backwards, he has quick hands and he can be very accurate. His punches also hit you from very weird angles sometimes, too. He can definitely win this fight - but, I believe Cro Cop via KO/TKO is the safest bet and that's what I truly believe would happen. I believe he makes Chuck angry, makes him chase and makes him overcommit, giving Mirko a lot of opportunities to land his counter left. When they're in center, I see Mirko having a lot of success with his low kicks and if he plays it right, he could possibly land that LHK, especially because Chuck keeps his hands low and would be thinking about the leg kicks, or possibly body kicks after awhile.

well in pride Crocop wins.

Like his manager has publicly commented, often Crocop would be the benefactor of a bait-n-switch, like when he fought Heath Herring. He trained for 4 months while Heath trained for a wrestler and was informed 10 days before that he'd fight Crocop.

One year after winning the GP he transitioned to the UFC and flopped in sanctioned in MMA.

In Pride though, not many would beat Crocop.

A lot of people don't seem to understand this kind of thing. Cro Cop didn't do all that well in the UFC, and I do believe it's because he was no comfortable with the octagon. In the ring, he was just so damn good and literally as soon as he got into the UFC, in that cage, he wasn't the same. He couldn't move like he used to, he used that movement so well and cut angles to land his counter left, but in the UFC, he didn't move like that at all.

I really believe he was not comfortable with the octagon at all. It can't just be a coincidence that he did so fucking well in Pride and literally as soon as he got in the UFC, he just so happened to not move as well as he did in the ring and all that, you know?

Cro Cop didn't do so well, suffered some brutal losses, and now he's just so far out of his prime that it's amazing he can even win fights anymore. That guy has been fighting for so damn long, and has been doing it for so long inside of the ring.

A lot of people say it's an excuse, but it really isn't. He had been fighting in the ring for basically his entire career as a professional, as an amateur, and also, of course, trained in the ring for most of his career and also before he even started it, too. He is just used to the ring. The ring is his home. That's where he was at his best. It's not like he goes over to the UFC after and all of a sudden he isn't that good and never was or something like that. The switch to the cage did effect him, in my opinion, and now he's just many years past his prime.

I wish nothing but the best for Mirko. I'm a huge fan of him and I really, REALLY hate seeing him lose, especially to guys that he would've absolutely destroyed with ease back in Pride, in the ring. It's sad to see him lose to guys he would've crushed so easily years ago. Seeing such an amazing fighter pass his prime and lose to guys that were never close to his level before.. it's saddening.

It's really sad to see him get knocked out. I would get really upset whenever Mirko would get knocked out, I really would. He's actually the only fighter, besides Chuck, that I would actually get upset and just feel like shit for a few days whenever I'd see them get knocked out, especially Mirko, man.

I hope he can keep winning from now on. I would love to see him get a nice win streak and I hope to fucking God that he can get at least one more head kick KO. Just one more and I my life will be fucking complete!

/rantsfordayshomie

would have been a great fight.

i imagine CC winning this because he was simply the better kickboxer and being a natural hw

A lot of people don't seem to understand this kind of thing. Cro Cop didn't do all that well in the UFC, and I do believe it's because he was no comfortable with the octagon. In the ring, he was just so damn good and literally as soon as he got into the UFC, in that cage, he wasn't the same. He couldn't move like he used to, he used that movement so well and cut angles to land his counter left, but in the UFC, he didn't move like that at all.

I really believe he was not comfortable with the octagon at all. It can't just be a coincidence that he did so fucking well in Pride and literally as soon as he got in the UFC, he just so happened to not move as well as he did in the ring and all that, you know?

Cro Cop didn't do so well, suffered some brutal losses, and now he's just so far out of his prime that it's amazing he can even win fights anymore. That guy has been fighting for so damn long, and has been doing it for so long inside of the ring.

A lot of people say it's an excuse, but it really isn't. He had been fighting in the ring for basically his entire career as a professional, as an amateur, and also, of course, trained in the ring for most of his career and also before he even started it, too. He is just used to the ring. The ring is his home. That's where he was at his best. It's not like he goes over to the UFC after and all of a sudden he isn't that good and never was or something like that. The switch to the cage did effect him, in my opinion, and now he's just many years past his prime.

I wish nothing but the best for Mirko. I'm a huge fan of him and I really, REALLY hate seeing him lose, especially to guys that he would've absolutely destroyed with ease back in Pride, in the ring. It's sad to see him lose to guys he would've crushed so easily years ago. Seeing such an amazing fighter pass his prime and lose to guys that were never close to his level before.. it's saddening.

It's really sad to see him get knocked out. I would get really upset whenever Mirko would get knocked out, I really would. He's actually the only fighter, besides Chuck, that I would actually get upset and just feel like shit for a few days whenever I'd see them get knocked out, especially Mirko, man.

I hope he can keep winning from now on. I would love to see him get a nice win streak and I hope to fucking God that he can get at least one more head kick KO. Just one more and I my life will be fucking complete!

/rantsfordayshomie

Crocop did great with Yakuza-influenced booking, since he was a draw. They made money off his success.

If you want I can quote the article where his former manager discusses how he benefited from these bait-n-switch yakuza-bookings, etc.

Unsanctioned mma, no PED testing (specifically mentioned no PED testing on the contract), different rules, different setting, tournament format, Yakuza-inlufence...

too many different factors when he crossed over to the UFC. he just couldn't adapt. ended up quitting the first time, getting 'retired' the 2nd time, and now he's still here fighting.

Good for him. Hope third time's the charm.

I remember back then (was lurking for a long time before registering) CC was one of the few who people thought would be a bad matchup for Chuck. CC straight punches would cause problems for Chucks looping ones. Also, CC was incredibly fast and hard to hit back then while Chuck had a great chin and would just absorb punches so he could counter for the KO. That would be a bad gameplan against CC. I don't think Chuck would have gotten him down either.
CC by decision or KO.

Crocop did great with Yakuza-influenced booking, since he was a draw. They made money off his success.

If you want I can quote the article where his former manager discusses how he benefited from these bait-n-switch yakuza-bookings, etc.

Unsanctioned mma, no PED testing (specifically mentioned no PED testing on the contract), different rules, different setting, tournament format, Yakuza-inlufence...

too many different factors when he crossed over to the UFC. he just couldn't adapt. ended up quitting the first time, getting 'retired' the 2nd time, and now he's still here fighting.

Good for him. Hope third time's the charm.

If your looking at someone getting preferential booking look no further than Chuck, Crocop got a few squash matches on Bushido events when he was fighting up to 8 times a year but he faced pretty much everyone in the Pride HW division including, strikers and grapplers. Meanwhile Chuck was being fed rematches with grapplers he'd already beaten in the UFC(Randy, Babalu, Tito) before getting KOed in a minute when he had to face a striker again.

The amusing thing is you look back and all of Chucks loses were almost certainly fights the UFC thought they were feeding him easier fights only to have it blow up in their face.

Rampage - Hadnt looked great since the Wanderlei/Shogun loses was saying he needed more time to prep.

Jardine - Had just been KOed in 30 secs by Houston.

Rashad - Hadnt looked great vs Tito or Bisping was considered to be a disappointment.

Shogun - Hadnt looked great vs Coleman after a very long injury layoff, people thought he was done.

Franklin - Was sposed to be Tito a 3rd time until he got injuried.

Its the same with Wanderlei, we get constant talk of Pride protecting him yet they put him up with Crocop twice and Hunt, can you imagine the UFC doing that with Chuck?

CC would be the favorite but Chuck could have caught him for sure. Excellent fight for the fans would have been legendary.

If your looking at someone getting preferential booking look no further than Chuck, Crocop got a few squash matches on Bushido events when he was fighting up to 8 times a year but he faced pretty much everyone in the Pride HW division including, strikers and grapplers. Meanwhile Chuck was being fed rematches with grapplers he'd already beaten in the UFC(Randy, Babalu, Tito) before getting KOed in a minute when he had to face a striker again.

The amusing thing is you look back and all of Chucks loses were almost certainly fights the UFC thought they were feeding him easier fights only to have it blow up in their face.

Rampage - Hadnt looked great since the Wanderlei/Shogun loses was saying he needed more time to prep.

Jardine - Had just been KOed in 30 secs by Houston.

Rashad - Hadnt looked great vs Tito or Bisping was considered to be a disappointment.

Shogun - Hadnt looked great vs Coleman after a very long injury layoff, people thought he was done.

Franklin - Was sposed to be Tito a 3rd time until he got injuried.

Its the same with Wanderlei, we get constant talk of Pride protecting him yet they put him up with Crocop twice and Hunt, can you imagine the UFC doing that with Chuck?

You realize there was actual fight fixing going on in Pride right? Not just preferential booking. Actual fight fixing.

Chuck's style doesn't match up well with Mirko. Mirko loves opponents that give him space while Chuck normally wants guys that need to come forward into his range, he was great at landing kill shots while backing up, and that overhand right.

Chuck would be waiting on the outside, as was his wont, and Mirko would get to fight the fight that he wants.

After what Rampage did to Chuck, I don't see him having any more success standing with Cro Cop

I'd favor Cro Cop too, but you can't tell me Chuck couldn't win.

Have you seen out of competition photo shots of circa 2006 Chuck at his "220" walk around weight? I remember Tito cracked a joke about his belly, can't remember exactly.

Mirko was one of the most solid low body high fiber muscle masses in the sport. His Earl Cambell thighs were a sight in the day!

If Chuck came into this fight ~ 220 he is going to be WAY too fat and slow to survive round 1.

Chucks best chance BY FAR is to come in 210-215 and give away 10-15 pounds of muscle weight. Mirko would be the MUCH larger fighter in this case. I still fear Mirko's technical striking counters Chucks wide overhand rights mercilessly.

Chuck does sport a slight reach advantage, but I still think Mirko's kicks negate that factor. I'd favor Mirko in the later rounds of this scenario.

Yes, Randleman floored Mirko, Everyone knows it can be done to 2006 prime Cro-Cop. Anyone with a powerful strike such as Chuck has a "Punchers chance".

With that said, if both fighters come in 100%, Mirko wins 99 out of 100. (IMO of course)

Back