Who was the better heavyweight striker between Overeem and Cro Cop?

cliffs: Need for Validation, Ego Protection, Fear of Being Misunderstood, Power and Control, Communication Style, Cognitive Dissonance, Fear of Being Ignored, Competitiveness.
Possible psychological processes

Wanting to have the last word can be influenced by several underlying psychological processes:

Need for Validation: Wanting to get in the last word might stem from a deep need to feel validated and acknowledged. By having the final say, individuals might seek assurance that their opinions and knowledge are valued and respected by others.

Ego Protection: In some cases, the need to have the last word could be driven by a desire to protect one's ego or self-esteem. Allowing others to have the last word might be perceived as a concession or admission of being wrong, which some individuals might find threatening to their self-image.

Fear of Being Misunderstood: People who feel the urge to get in the last word might worry that if they don't clarify their points thoroughly, others might misunderstand their position or intentions. This fear of misinterpretation can drive them to keep elaborating on their stance.

Power and Control: The need to have the last word could also be related to power dynamics within a conversation. Individuals may assert themselves to maintain a sense of control or dominance in the discussion.

Communication Style: Some individuals might naturally have a communication style that involves providing extensive explanations and details. This style can give the impression of needing to have the last word, even if it's not their intention.

Cognitive Dissonance: When faced with conflicting opinions or information, individuals might experience cognitive dissonance, which is the discomfort caused by holding contradictory beliefs. To reduce this discomfort, they may feel compelled to reiterate their viewpoint repeatedly.

Fear of Being Ignored: People who have experienced being ignored or dismissed in the past may develop a habit of asserting themselves to ensure their voice is heard and considered.

Competitiveness: In some cases, discussions can turn into subtle competitions, with individuals vying to have the final say as a way to "win" the conversation.

It's important to note that each individual's behavior is complex and can be influenced by a combination of these psychological factors. Furthermore, the perception of "always needing the last word" may vary from person to person, as it can be influenced by the dynamics and context of the conversation.

If you find that you're receiving feedback about this behavior, it might be helpful to reflect on your communication style and motivations. Openly discussing this issue with others can lead to a better understanding of their perspectives and help foster more effective and empathetic communication. Additionally, if you feel that this behavior is causing interpersonal challenges or distress, seeking guidance from a communication coach or therapist can be beneficial.
Huh??

I still think Overeem offensively was one of the best MMA heavyweights in the world period. He was just a glass cannon so to speak. I could see him demolishing someone great in one fight, just to get brutalized in the next and not bat an eyelash.

Crocrop wins by his straight left and left high kick

Overseen wins by his clinch and knees

Whoever gets to implement their strategy wins.

Both jn their primes crocop wins. If they fought after crocop's gonzaga fight id take overeem 10 out of 10 fights. Crocrop just wasn't the same after getting ko by gonzaga. Overeem was able to sustain and even improve as his career progressed after pride.
Mirko's mid kick was also very dangerous but I think the real difference is in defence, Reem was never that good a defencive boxer IMHO and without the big gloves he often struggled when people got in his face.

Mirko's performance against Wand the second time is one of the best lateral movement ever in MMA IMHO.

I think the speed and explosiveness of Crocop in his top form was enough to beat Reem. Ubereem is likely a different story. The Uber from the Lesnar fight was likely to much.

Reactions: HHJ
I will always post WAR MIRKO in a Mirko thread. If he had the same horsemeat Ubereem had, he would have been champion after flatlining Gonzaga, but it wasn't meant to be. Glad he had a nice win streak before the end of his career.

I will always post WAR MIRKO in a Mirko thread. If he had the same horsemeat Ubereem had, he would have been champion after flatlining Gonzaga, but it wasn't meant to be. Glad he had a nice win streak before the end of his career.
Say it loud and proud!

He was a jacked 185'er in the 90's. 220lb Crocop was a beast. I wished he made a decent effort to stay at 205 before he came into the UFC.

Say it loud and proud!
WAR MIRKO!
THE REMATCH WITH OVEREEM WOULD HAVE GONE DIFFERENT WITH UBERCUPMIRKO
cro_cop_balls.jpg
My dad trained with him a few times when Cro Cop was was a younger man, my dad is about 10-15 years older than Mirko and was one of Branko Cikatic's training partners way back in the day in Tigar Gym. We're gonna try to find his old photo albums from back then the next time we visit the Old Country. Will share here if I manage to get ahold of them, maybe there a picture of Mirko somewhere lurking in there.
Branko was too much of a fucking maniac to fight in MMA (watch his fight with Kerr where he elbowed Kerr in the back of the head about 30 times) but in kickboxing, he's a legend, the first K-1 WGP champion and I think still widely considered one of the greatest HW kickboxers of all time, which is impressive at 6'2" 215lbs.

Last edited:
Overeem was more diverse with his approach and was willing to change his style/strategy to win fights. I never really saw that from Mirko. Crocop stuck to what he knew best and he was really good at that and also might have been his downfall

Overeem was better in the clinch and from the inside. Crocop might have been more dangerous from the outside. I thought they both had equally solid hands. Crocop obviously had better kicks and Knees with Overeem

Strangely both guys weren't the most durable heavyweights of their time. Overeem had average MMA defense offensively and mediocre defense on the retreat. Ie running away or backing up against the cage in a straight line and trying to cover up later on. I thought Crocop had better intuition on the offensive defensively and much better movement on the retreat. Btw i wasn't a fan of Crocops push away technique to disengage from the inside

Who cares?
One got beat down by Bigfoot Silva, and the other one lost to a guy who got beat down by Bigfoot Silva.
Bigfoot Silva is the answer. (He was better)

Mirko was more precise, was the better counter puncher, had better jabs and straights, was the superior kicker, and more defensively sound. Overeem was bigger, stronger, had better knees, hooks, and clinch. He was also a far better grappler.

I'd say Mirko was more polished in the striking in his prime, but Overeem was the more complete fighter.

Who cares?
One got beat down by Bigfoot Silva, and the other one lost to a guy who got beat down by Bigfoot Silva.
Bigfoot Silva is the answer. (He was better)
Please go back into the gym locker from whence you came,thanks

If the question is "Who is the better HW striker?" and Cro Cop is one of the options then the answer is Cro Cop. His speed, his reflexes, his accuracy, his power, it was all terrifying, and contrary to what a lot of people seem to think based on having just watched HLs, his arsenal was extremely diverse. His straight left hand and LHK were his weapons of choice, but he also had brutal body kicks and leg kicks, plus his left uppercut was vicious. I'd be hard-pressed to imagine ANYONE who has ever competed in MMA outstriking the Cro Cop that annihilated Wand and Barnett in the OWGP finals. Cro Cop at his best was one of the scariest fighters because he wasn't just going to beat you: He was going to hurt you, then he was going to make you feel helpless, and then he'd beat you.

Fun fact: If you Google "Cro Cop scary" this is one of the first things that comes up:

1702528607030.jpeg

This is when you want to be anywhere else in the world :oops:

Back