The word goat is used improperly by MMA fans

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
It's time that MMA fans stopped using the word goat, at last in the way they currently use the word.

The definition of goat as relates to an athlete is very negative. The following is directly from the Merriam-Webster dictionary: "the goat : a person who is blamed for a loss or failure." Then they use it in the following example: "In the last inning, a home run can make you the hero, and a strikeout can make you the goat."

They way it's used here relates to "greatest of all time"

It is being used properly.

since when is Webster referencing Big Nog?

I'm so glad the pedants have arrived!

It is used for Conor , implying he is the greatest.
So the word is no longer of any value.

57f892b56228e98b8ab45e4453f09e7023bd600bb8ec86d4524c30c39a442dd6.jpg

It's time that MMA fans stopped using the word goat, at last in the way they currently use the word.

The definition of goat as relates to an athlete is very negative. The following is directly from the Merriam-Webster dictionary: "the goat : a person who is blamed for a loss or failure." Then they use it in the following example: "In the last inning, a home run can make you the hero, and a strikeout can make you the goat."

Well, what if your team was pitching?

I think Pat Riley tried to coin a new "word" or acronym of BOAT. For Best of All Time, but then you would run into the same situation. We call someone BOAT, and you got a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: thinking you talking about the titanic or a yacht.

They way it's used here relates to "greatest of all time"

It is being used properly.

You can't just take the English language and arbitrarily assign different definitions to words. To anyone who accepts reality, "goat" in reference to an athlete is a negative term. One only needs to look in the dictionary to know this is true.

You can't just take the English language and arbitrarily assign different definitions to words. To anyone who accepts reality, "goat" in reference to an athlete is a negative term. One only needs to look in the dictionary to know this is true.

You're the GOAT poster.

And I mean that.

They're not using the word goat. They're using the acronym GOAT.

Yes you can.

You are looking at "goat" whereas sherdoggers talk about the GOAT. It is not a word, it is an acronym, "Greatest Of All Time" and therefore is not a proper word and cannot be looked up in a proper dictionary unless it comes into regular use outside of the MMA community.

So I get that you're trolling, and it's very humorous I assure you. But English is a living language with new words being created and added to the dictionary all of the time. The moment we stop making new words is the moment our language dies. They've made a new word in GOAT, and I am sure that eventually it will be added to the dictionary.

So just, don't.

2/10
Unimaginative trolling, two points because this is sherdog and people will fall for it.
Also the definition of goat you're giving is also arbitrary, seeing as it doesn't hold any ground etymologically.

i'll just start writing it "goat" from now on, without caps.

Back