The word goat is used improperly by MMA fans

I just realized a guillotine didnt actually mean people were losing by decapitation.

Jesus that was freaking me out. Thanks TS...(oops I mean "thread starter"), for showing me that idiot sherdoggers...(shit...(I mean "oh no"), I mean "people that use sherdog.com") don't use the proper websters definitions of words.

You can't just take the English language and arbitrarily assign different definitions to words. To anyone who accepts reality, "goat" in reference to an athlete is a negative term. One only needs to look in the dictionary to know this is true.

It is an initialism.
Well I spell it out word by word.
Maybe that is why people look at me funny when I speak about Fedor.

You can't just take the English language and arbitrarily assign different definitions to words. To anyone who accepts reality, "goat" in reference to an athlete is a negative term. One only needs to look in the dictionary to know this is true.

The word goat and the acronym GOAT are unrelated. I would expect grammar nazis to know the difference.

We're not using the word "goat". We're using the acronym, "G.O.A.T". We just don't bother wasting time putting the periods in between because that's an annoying waste of time, and only people with petty, meaningless lives would care about such a thing.

They way it's used here relates to "greatest of all time"

It is being used properly.

No it certainly isn't being used properly. It's used by certain posters to show other posters that they are dumb like fuck.

Do you know what an acronym is? You know, FBI-Federal Bureau of Investigation?

GOAT-Greatest Of All Time.

So people should never use acronyms like CIA (Central Intelligence Agency), PPV (pay pe view), MMA (mixed martial arts) etc...?

Just chalk it us to colloquial language used by fans and leave it at that.

lots of goats these days. Conor, Aldo, rousey, fedor, anderson.

I hate how they spell NASA with all caps. It's stoopid!

It's time that MMA fans stopped using the word goat, at last in the way they currently use the word.

The definition of goat as relates to an athlete is very negative. The following is directly from the Merriam-Webster dictionary: "the goat : a person who is blamed for a loss or failure." Then they use it in the following example: "In the last inning, a home run can make you the hero, and a strikeout can make you the goat."

It's GOAT, not goat.

Back