The War Room Bet Thread V4

Best bet(s) settled in the last bet thread (see closed bets section in post 3)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Done. Now what's your excuse?
Cool.

@Lead write it up.

The 2020 presidential election is delayed/cancelled and Trump remains in power after Inauguration day 2021.

@HereticBD: For

@Sycho Sid: Against

If the lock down orders are still in place around most of the country, and the election still goes on, @Sycho Sid wins. If they are lifted in time, and we're all back to normal by the time it rolls around, it's a wash.

Cool.

@Lead write it up.

The 2020 presidential election is delayed/cancelled and Trump remains in power after Inauguration day 2021.

If the lock down orders are still in place around most of the country, and the election still goes on, @Sycho Sid wins. If they are lifted in time, and we're all back to normal by the time it rolls around, it's a wash.

We're good here @Lead.

Cool.

@Lead write it up.

We're good here @Lead.

Forgot to put the stakes.

6 month AV/SIg

Forgot to put the stakes.

6 month AV/SIg

Shame. I'd account bet you on this.
At least @HereticBD will make you pay. Just so you know that makes me very very happy :)
I hope he steps out of character and is mean about the AV/SIG.

Looking forward to your antifa pussy ass going down in flames :)

Cheers :cool:

@HereticBD
@Sycho Sid

Nice. I’ll look at this later in the week. Just want to think through any holes it might have currently stated.

While this likely ends in a wash. I find it near impossible that Heretic loses while Sid has a minimal chance at losing.

I mean minus the likely push aspect it's a damn near lock for Heretic to win or push.

While this likely ends in a wash. I find it near impossible that Heretic loses while Sid has a minimal chance at losing.

I mean minus the likely push aspect it's a damn near lock for Heretic to win or push.

That's why I bet big, and that's why he squirmed until he couldn't squirm no more. At least he finally took it, though.

So @Lead, I gotta bet.

If the COVID-19 pandemic is not cleaned up in time for an election to take place, the US Presidential election will be postponed to a later date, and Trump will remain in power.

Me - For

@Sycho Sid - Against

AV/Sig three months.

IMO this is what should probably happen tbh. No way a proper election process can be conducted under current circumstances. Not sure if legally possible, but couldn't Trump remain in office with 'interim' powers for 6-12 months?

IMO this is what should probably happen tbh. No way a proper election process can be conducted under current circumstances. Not sure if legally possible, but couldn't Trump remain in office with 'interim' powers for 6-12 months?

Honestly, I have no idea. This is an unprecedented moment in time. I can't imagine that they would simply remove a sitting President, without an actual vote. I think they have to weigh shit storms, and I think keeping him there and merely postponing an election for a bit, is the better option, than forcing him out and telling his supporters to deal with it(which they would not do peacefully). If this was his second term, maybe they consider letting someone else take over for a bit, but given that he is gearing up for a reelection, I don't see them possibly taking him out of the picture. If he gets bonus time, you can at least calm the other side down by assuring them that there will eventually be an election. If you take him out, there is no way to stall the outrage.

Honestly, I have no idea. This is an unprecedented moment in time. I can't imagine that they would simply remove a sitting President, without an actual vote. I think they have to weigh shit storms, and I think keeping him there and merely postponing an election for a bit, is the better option, than forcing him out and telling his supporters to deal with it(which they would not do peacefully). If this was his second term, maybe they consider letting someone else take over for a bit, but given that he is gearing up for a reelection, I don't see them possibly taking him out of the picture. If he gets bonus time, you can at least calm the other side down by assuring them that there will eventually be an election. If you take him out, there is no way to stall the outrage.

I mean his term is ending. The question is if he can remain in an 'administrative' function.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/21/21188152/trump-cancel-november-election-constitution-coronavirus

...ooof

Not sure. @luckyshot might know

It's weird that Heretic is arguing that Trump will squash democracy and Sid is arguing that he won't. Not commenting on the bet, just that it's usually opponents of a politician who thinks that he'll try to install himself as dictator.

I mean his term is ending. The question is if he can remain in an 'administrative' function.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/21/21188152/trump-cancel-november-election-constitution-coronavirus

...ooof

Wishful thinking by Vox, and precisely what I bet against.

If this shit is still going on, it will be delayed. No doubt about it. They don't want another crisis on their hands, on top of the virus, and it's not like Democrats don't stand to lose anything in such a scenario either. They've got skin in the game all the same.

Then again, if this shit lasts until November, we might already be in Mad Max land. This relief funding ain't gonna last forever. Then the real fun begins.

It's weird that Heretic is arguing that Trump will squash democracy and Sid is arguing that he won't. Not commenting on the bet, just that it's usually opponents of a politician who thinks that he'll try to install himself as dictator.
I believe in the strength of our democracy

Delaying the election to a further date, does not make Trump a dictator. If he outright cancels it, and declares himself King, I owe you a coke.

I believe in the strength of our democracy

Yeah, I figured you wouldn't be thinking Trump had too much respect for our Constitution or for democracy. :)

I think it's a legit fear, but I'm with you in thinking that our system will survive the threat.

Delaying the election to a further date, does not make Trump a dictator. If he outright cancels it, and declares himself King, I owe you a coke.

That's how America would fall, though. Not someone simply declaring himself king, but someone assuming extra power to deal with some kind of real or imagined (or some combination) threat and finding reasons to extend the emergency.

Wishful thinking by Vox, and precisely what I bet against.

If this shit is still going on, it will be delayed. No doubt about it. They don't want another crisis on their hands, on top of the virus, and it's not like Democrats don't stand to lose anything in such a scenario either. They've got skin in the game all the same.

Then again, if this shit lasts until November, we might already be in Mad Max land. This relief funding ain't gonna last forever. Then the real fun begins.

I think that's kind of the point. Dems are needed to change legislation to postpone. Either the economy is rebounding nicely by summer, then no way Trump wants to push. Or shit really hits the fan, then public opinion is likely to turn against Trump and Dems might not agree with delaying.

Only widespread chaos in spring/early summer and infections/deaths among leading politicians might change that.

That's how America would fall, though. Not someone simply declaring himself king, but someone assuming extra power to deal with some kind of real or imagined (or some combination) threat and finding reasons to extend the emergency.

I think there's a big difference between a real and imagined threat. In this case, it's obviously real. Removing a President gearing up for a reelection because of a pandemic not allowing people to vote, would be viewed as the ultimate establishment power play(real or imagined), and the shit storm to follow would not be worth it. Not to mention that despite your personal views of how Trump is handling of the situation, removing the leader of a country dealing with the crisis would just be irresponsible, and throw the country into chaos.

We'll see. I at least have the stones to actually put my money where my mouth is, unlike some people...

Covid19 is a pretend threat to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.