The UFC doesn't provide fair competition

Imagine if other sports like nfl and hockey can just pick and choose who they want fighting for the cup..

That's why I'll probably never see it becoming more legitimate in my country and being legally allowed to bet on it in stores because the credibility of title shots just have never really been there, so many fighters get opportunities for no good reason at all, while the ones that deserve it like Leon Edward's gotta sit on ice for awhile. Then you have Colby getting a title shot for beating Woodley? And Masvidal for sitting on his ass ? Cmon now.
That’s why Khabib is a hero, he defeated no only every opponent but the monster of UFC media hype, he was sidelined for years from getting a title shot because Conor had to take paternity leave.

I'm pretty sure that was a last second replacement, was that or Khabib getting the belt handed without even fighting.

I like to give Khabib’s activity and resume shit at times as much as the next guy........ and I do agree Al was one of the weakest guys ever thrown into a title fight in the last decade.

But he was literally replacing the replacement to the original fight. Tony down, Max down and they threw Al. I imagine if Al went down Clay Guida or Diego would have got the call because they wanted Khabib to be champion.

It's true, Conor gets a instant title shot at 155, Tony has to get a 10 fight win streak to get an interim title fight. Chandler gets an instant title shot, Oliviera has to win 10 fights for the same opportunity. O'malley will get a title shot beating a few more nobodies, other guys at 135 will have to beat everyone in front of them to get there. Conor beat Dennis Siver to get a 145 title shot, Max had to win 10 fights in a row. Darren Till gets gifted a shot against Woodley, Usman had to win 10 fights.

Life isn't fair, and MMA isn't a sport,it's about who the UFC thinks can make them $$$. UFC today is closer to WWE than anything, an entertainment product with predetermined outcomes for the fighters they want to succeed, except sometimes it doesn't go according to Dana's script and that's when he turns red as a tomato.

<31><31><31>
Which current champs do you think are just a product of UFC hype and favorable matchups?

Ufc basically became a popularity contest due to 3 fighters. Brock. Rhonda . Connor.

Now all u have to do is have a lot of twitter followers and say your a mma fighter. That will eventually get you a shot. Dana will try to find a way to prop you up and give you favorable match ups. Whats hilarious is he hates on the Paul Brothers and accuses them of doing the very same thing he's looking for in a fighter lmao. Connor is essentially the mma version of the paul brothers. Also those types are generally one deminsional. So you can only protect that weakness for so long. Once your fighting in the top 5 or champ. Theres no ducking well rounded fighters.

Boxing tends to have more ridiculous title shots than the ufc though…….

This is true. But there us also a ton of weight classes and belts. So you got folks moving up and down several 2 3 weight classes. Half the time during title fights i dont know who the champ or challenger is.

I'm sure it's been said already...but the UFC is a business, first and foremost. The fighter who gets the title shot will usually be the biggest draw, who a promoter can make a reasonable case that he/she is a viable contender. That is, as long as that fighter is willing to fight for whatever scraps the UFC offers them.

Ufc basically became a popularity contest due to 3 fighters. Brock. Rhonda . Connor.

Now all u have to do is have a lot of twitter followers and say your a mma fighter. That will eventually get you a shot. Dana will try to find a way to prop you up and give you favorable match ups. Whats hilarious is he hates on the Paul Brothers and accuses them of doing the very same thing he's looking for in a fighter lmao. Connor is essentially the mma version of the paul brothers. Also those types are generally one deminsional. So you can only protect that weakness for so long. Once your fighting in the top 5 or champ. Theres no ducking well rounded fighters.
You guys talk all of this shit, but can’t give any examples other than Conor… who was obviously pretty damn good in his prime

I'm sure it's been said already...but the UFC is a business, first and foremost. The fighter who gets the title shot will usually be the biggest draw, who a promoter can make a reasonable case that he/she is a viable contender. That is, as long as that fighter is willing to fight for whatever scraps the UFC offers them.
Examples

Okay well, that's over the course of like 15 years, I meant current examples, still though, which shots did each guy not deserve?
I don't follow mma as closely as I used to. Most title shots go to the most deserving fighter at the time. But there are certainly instances where marketable fighters get put at the front of the line, because of their value to the company.

UFC rankings and bookings is basically pro wrestling. Whoever draws heat either way moves up faster and gets more leeway on who and when they fight.

I don't follow mma as closely as I used to. Most title shots go to the most deserving fighter at the time. But there are certainly instances where marketable fighters get put at the front of the line, because of their value to the company.
This just proved you have no clue what you're talking about lol

Yes marketing definitely plays a role, it's just way overexaggerated on Sherdog. Generally speaking, the best guys are fighting the best guys, and the champ is the best guy in the division. That's why when I ask people which champs aren't the best in their division they don't have an answer.

UFC rankings and bookings is basically pro wrestling. Whoever draws heat either way moves up faster and gets more leeway on who and when they fight.
Like this dude lol... I know some people are trolling, but some people really believe this

It's an entertainment promotion. The fighting/sport part of it is incidental. People need to stop being in denial about that fact.

This just proved you have no clue what you're talking about lol

Yes marketing definitely plays a role, it's just way overexaggerated on Sherdog.
Incorrect. I've been watching mma for a long time. I've already cited specific examples of very questionable TS's, given to fighters who were draws. And AFAIK the business model for the UFC Zhasnt changed drastically in recent years.

That’s true. Reminds me of Iaquints fighting for a belt ranked #11
Or bispong ducking the MW and defending his belt against a 45 year old Hendo, ranked outside of the top 10. Dana is a fuckin POS.

Back