1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

The UFC doesn't provide fair competition

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Pious Augustus, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Pious Augustus ...

The UFC model doesn't provide fair competition or equivalent opportunities for its roster

moving up in the rankings or getting closer to the top of the division is just random and based on how much Dana likes you

this's not a competition on an even playground, every fighter gets a different path that mostly has nothing to do with his record, for example; McGregor gets an opportunity to win the belt of beating Eddie Alvarez with zero wins at lw and gets elevated 70 times more than any other lw who already beat Eddie with way more wins in the division, in the eyes of fans and media at least, just because he gets to wear a trophy belt afterwards

there's no system for this it's just random, random title shots, random #1 contenders (Masvidal vs Usman 2)

I wish the UFC was something like the PFL where all the good fighters are forced to compete against each other regularly without any drama or randomness

that's the only way belts could mean anything

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  2. B-Level Orange Belt

That’s true. Reminds me of Iaquints fighting for a belt ranked #11

3. gaffbyknees2 Yellow Card Yellow Card

Lol pink belt

4. Satan's Daddy. Black Belt Platinum Member

Imagine if other sports like nfl and hockey can just pick and choose who they want fighting for the cup..

That's why I'll probably never see it becoming more legitimate in my country and being legally allowed to bet on it in stores because the credibility of title shots just have never really been there, so many fighters get opportunities for no good reason at all, while the ones that deserve it like Leon Edward's gotta sit on ice for awhile. Then you have Colby getting a title shot for beating Woodley? And Masvidal for sitting on his ass ? Cmon now.

5. Mesos Black Belt

The world isnt fair, and you see that across the board in everything. Cant even begin to tell you how many dumbass bosses ive had that got the position by being ultra ass kissers or somehow related to someone in company.

In UFCs case its a popularity contest with a hint of Merit mixed in. It is what it is.

Vil7, fifinex, Argonaut and 1 other person like this.
  6. Pious Augustus ...

the whole system is broken, even the rankings so it doesn't really matter

7. Mammothman Gold Belt

I'm pretty sure that was a last second replacement, was that or Khabib getting the belt handed without even fighting.

Enigma87, Bilzerian, Eiger and 2 others like this.
  8. Pious Augustus ...

wow brown belt

Rulltufs, Maletherin and Kaynan like this.
  9. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

Yes, it's the Ultimate Circus for many reasons, including this one.

10. Slatersan Black Belt

My theory on this is that some point Dana and Vince Mcmahon talked. Vince explained to Dana he is in the entertainment business and now we have the business model you speak of.

11. Mesos Black Belt

Apparently Dana and Vince have gotten along for a while now. Dana respects Vince and always says “hes a fucken animal” lol

MPD-Psycho and Slatersan like this.
  12. NoSmilez Silver Belt

You can't force people to fight each other and people get injured all the time. Only way you want them to all to compete at your time is to have a one night tournament. One date narrows down the pull outs from injury.

13. blaseblah Titanium Belt

Every promotion save for PFL uses the same business model. It's not unique to the UFC. They are in the business of making money through selling fights. This means elevating fighters with more hype and potential than others. This means making the fights people want to see.

kflo likes this.
  14. Only Here for Attachments Bacon Lettuce and Mayo

Vince is Dana's self-professed idol. Fans refuse to accept that UFC will do everything it possibly and legally can to ensure the draws succeed and profit is maximized.

Vegesus44 and Pious Augustus like this.
  15. Substance Abuse n00b moderator Staff Member Forum Moderator

Al took that fight on a moments notice so it didn't get canceled.

16. KillerIsBack V2 Red Belt

I did not read the OP, but you are taking things out of context with this example....
    AL was a last minute replacement, for another last minute replacement, who fucking replaced someone else as well.

He's a fucking man's man for that one. Guess I always thought of him as a retarded baby until he decided to work real-estate on the side for some reason.

17. Zorro Blue Belt

Al was a last minute replacement. It was supposed to be Ferguson vs Nurmagomedov but Tony pulled out and Iaquinta stepped in on 1 day notice.

Edit: Sorry to beat a dead horse, looks like other folks beat me to it

18. DesiredUserName Green Belt

I have a leather belt.

19. GBJohn Brown Belt

If you want to know why it’s like this, look no farther than this forum. There is a substantial portion of the MMA fan base that seems to regard popularity as merit.

Pious Augustus likes this.
  20. Jarvan Black Belt

Boxing is similar

Boxing and MMA are the only sports, afaik, where popularity and recent numbers/performances can influence your spot in the line.

With that said, it is what it is, and it makes sense.

There are orgs like PFL and bellator that use brackets and shit. I love that style, but I also love how UFC does it. It isn't always fair, but just look at the fuckin upcoming cards you whiny lil bitches.