The UFC doesn't provide fair competition

jn3BJF6.gif

Boxing tends to have more ridiculous title shots than the ufc though…….

there are three major sanctioning bodies with many different weight classes. just because you're a boxing casual and pay attention to certain fights doesn't mean the whole sport is like that. i can't even think of a recent example in UFC that would be more ridiculous than someone like jorge masvidal getting a title shot and an instant rematch

there are three major sanctioning bodies with many different weight classes. just because you're a boxing casual and pay attention to certain fights doesn't mean the whole sport is like that. i can't even think of a recent example in UFC that would be more ridiculous than someone like jorge masvidal getting a title shot and an instant rematch
There are 4 major sanctioning bodies. And you’re calling me a casual…..

Yes, the whole sport operates that way. Both the ufc and the sport of boxing have undeserved title shots.

And masvidal was a late replacement for his first title shot. 1 week notice…

Last edited:
There's over a 1000 fighters on the roster, if all goes well each aside from champions and top contenders fight 3x a year. Lots get injuries before a fight, lots are booked months in advanced, it's super hard to coordinate every to be fair. Sometimes an opportunity arises and you get to skip the queue... Or you're you got such fan interest in you that you get fast tracked.

That’s true. Reminds me of Iaquints fighting for a belt ranked #11
This fight was meant to be Khabib vs Tony Ferguson, who were on the longest win streaks at LW at the time but Tony got injured like 2 weeks out from the fight. Iaquinta was the only one they could find to fight Khabib on that short of notice.

The UFC model doesn't provide fair competition or equivalent opportunities for its roster

moving up in the rankings or getting closer to the top of the division is just random and based on how much Dana likes you

this's not a competition on an even playground, every fighter gets a different path that mostly has nothing to do with his record, for example; McGregor gets an opportunity to win the belt of beating Eddie Alvarez with zero wins at lw and gets elevated 70 times more than any other lw who already beat Eddie with way more wins in the division, in the eyes of fans and media at least, just because he gets to wear a trophy belt afterwards

there's no system for this it's just random, random title shots, random #1 contenders (Masvidal vs Usman 2)

I wish the UFC was something like the PFL where all the good fighters are forced to compete against each other regularly without any drama or randomness

that's the only way belts could mean anything
You’re correct, in simplistic terms it’s basically the WWE without predetermining the outcomes, they can script and navigate a favored fighters career, but it’s on him/her to actually win the fights.

Some of you guys are so idealistic and naive when it comes to the fight business

Notice how there has never been a profitable promotion ever to do things the way you’re talking about?

The UFC is the closest we will ever get to it, and honestly, what champs do you think aren’t the best in their divisions? For the most part the best people rise to the top

This fight was meant to be Khabib vs Tony Ferguson, who were on the longest win streaks at LW at the time but Tony got injured like 2 weeks out from the fight. Iaquinta was the only one they could find to fight Khabib on that short of notice.
Yeah well that was a last minute replacement. Duh?
Exactly lol, and people actually complain about it as if it was the corrupt UFC just trying to make Khabib look good

Reactions: HHJ
So many times the UFC has given us the Champ vs the guy who is the most dangerous in the division. The UFC has given us so many great championship fights. Sometimes we get weak Championship fights but at least the Champion is active.

There are injuries, there are fighters protecting their top ten spots ducking other fighters.

Yeah we never got Khabib vs Tony but they sure as hell tried to get it done.

In the history of the UFC we more often than not get to see the greatest Champions face their top competition without a doubt creating some of the greatest most exciting MMA action, story, and drama that has ever existed.

GSP vs Nick Diaz,
Jon Jones vs Daniel Cormier
Cejudo vs TJ Dillashaw
Cejudo vs Demetrious Johnson
Cormier vs Stipe Miocic
Lawler vs Hendricks
Lawlwer vs Robbie Macdonald
Hendricks vs GSP
Francis Ngannou vs Stipe Miocic 1 and 2
Khabib vs Conor
Khabib vs Dustin Poirier
Khabib vs Justin Gaethje
Rhonda vs Nunes
Nunes vs Cyborg
Valentina vs Nunes 1 and 2

And this list I could name a hundred other fights off the top of my head where it was everything we as fans wanted from a champion and a challenger. Unquestionably the best fight available.

Fighting is the most dangerous sport in the world, and training for these fights is just as dangerous. Fighters get injured all the time and when they get signed to fight the best they train harder than they've ever trained before and getting hurt is a very real consequence of over training. And as the fighters age they are more likely to get injured and our best fighters only have a short 4-5 year window of being in their absolute prime.

So yeah there are some bad matchups but in the history of the sport the UFC has delivered time and time again the best fights they possibly ever could against their best champions. So I think your opinion is actually wrong thinking and without enough history or research to back up your claims.

It's true, Conor gets a instant title shot at 155, Tony has to get a 10 fight win streak to get an interim title fight. Chandler gets an instant title shot, Oliviera has to win 10 fights for the same opportunity. O'malley will get a title shot beating a few more nobodies, other guys at 135 will have to beat everyone in front of them to get there. Conor beat Dennis Siver to get a 145 title shot, Max had to win 10 fights in a row. Darren Till gets gifted a shot against Woodley, Usman had to win 10 fights.

Life isn't fair, and MMA isn't a sport,it's about who the UFC thinks can make them $$$. UFC today is closer to WWE than anything, an entertainment product with predetermined outcomes for the fighters they want to succeed, except sometimes it doesn't go according to Dana's script and that's when he turns red as a tomato.

<31><31><31>

Boxing is similar

Boxing and MMA are the only sports, afaik, where popularity and recent numbers/performances can influence your spot in the line.

With that said, it is what it is, and it makes sense.

There are orgs like PFL and bellator that use brackets and shit. I love that style, but I also love how UFC does it. It isn't always fair, but just look at the fuckin upcoming cards you whiny lil bitches.

Yeah it's all about the match ups, if you're getting fucked over make yourself more interesting.

It's true, Conor gets a instant title shot at 155, Tony has to get a 10 fight win streak to get an interim title fight. Chandler gets an instant title shot, Oliviera has to win 10 fights for the same opportunity. O'malley will get a title shot beating a few more nobodies, other guys at 135 will have to beat everyone in front of them to get there. Conor beat Dennis Siver to get a 145 title shot, Max had to win 10 fights in a row. Darren Till gets gifted a shot against Woodley, Usman had to win 10 fights.

Life isn't fair, and MMA isn't a sport,it's about who the UFC thinks can make them $$$. UFC today is closer to WWE than anything, an entertainment product with predetermined outcomes for the fighters they want to succeed, except sometimes it doesn't go according to Dana's script and that's when he turns red as a tomato.

<31><31><31>
Conor had no different path to aldo than all of Aldo’s prior challengers. Arguably the most worthy challenger based on merit by the time he fought aldo. Don’t let facts get in the way though.

It’s more similar to boxing than wwe in context of this discussion. But I get that some of you have more of a wwe frame of reference.

Homie, it's called prize fighting. It's not called ranked fighting.

As much as I love boxing, the UFC is miles ahead of the BS there.

Back