The UFC doesn't provide fair competition

Homie, it's called prize fighting. It's not called ranked fighting.

As much as I love boxing, the UFC is miles ahead of the BS there.
where is it called that?
I couldn't find the word prize fighting anywhere in the official website but the rankings are there

PFL’s point system is pretty dog shit too tho with KOs worth X points , decisions worth Y points etc. extra points if u finished yur opponent in an earlier round a opposed to a later round.

what if fighter A round 1 KOs fighter B but fighter b is a complete can? While fighter C gets a decision win over fighter D but D is a total badass monster of an opponent who is unfinishable. In this scenario, fighter A will get more points than C did because it put too much emphasis on early finishes n whatknot… but fighter A only got an easy quick finish cause he was fighting a jobber, while C gets less points when he had a far more difficult task in front of him.

PFL’s point system is pretty dog shit too tho with KOs worth X points , decisions worth Y points etc. extra points if u finished yur opponent in an earlier round a opposed to a later round.

what if fighter A round 1 KOs fighter B but fighter b is a complete can? While fighter C gets a decision win over fighter D but D is a total badass monster of an opponent who is unfinishable. In this scenario, fighter A will get more points than C did because it put too much emphasis on early finishes n whatknot… but fighter A only got an easy quick finish cause he was fighting a jobber, while C gets less points when he had a far more difficult task in front of him.
100% only wins should count, you can reward early finishes with a bonus in cash or whatever

Which current champs do you think are just a product of UFC hype and favorable matchups?
What're the criteria of earning a title shot, before you say "beating enough ranked opponents" you need to provide a number of opponents and show me how that applies to everybody

What're the criteria of earning a title shot, before you say "beating enough ranked opponents" you need to provide a number of opponents and show me how that applies to everybody
Again, you’re asking for a criteria that doesn’t exist in combat sports.

This is what these guys refuse to understand, there is no promotion in history that would meet their expectations... it's just idealistic and spoiled

It's actually a miracle the MMA is as big as it is, if the Fertitas never buy the UFC, who knows where the sport would be today? Yet all these guys do is whine about how horrible it is

Answering a question with a question... just answer what I asked and then I will answer you
the UFC has no total control over who's the current champion but they're not fair in how they give these title shots, which is the whole point of this thread a few examples: (Darren Till, Frankie Edgar, Dominick Reyes, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Conor McGregor, Colby Covington, Deiveson Figueiredo, Dominick Cruz, Jose Aldo)

and then there's a whole list of fighters who got "screwed" by the UFC and didn't get the title shot

You can't force people to fight each other and people get injured all the time. Only way you want them to all to compete at your time is to have a one night tournament. One date narrows down the pull outs from injury.
I dont remember the year, but Dana said something to the effect of " I will NEVER do another fucking tournament again! It's stupid and holds up divisions!"

Thank you, there's NO system for earning a title shot then, and it's completely up to the UFC to pick and chose
thus it's not a fair competition.

PFL has a system which means a better system could be implemented

the UFC has no total control over who's the current champion but they're not fair in how they give these title shots, which is the whole point of this thread a few examples: (Darren Till, Frankie Edgar, Dominick Reyes, Michael Chandler, Jorge Masvidal, Conor McGregor, Colby Covington, Deiveson Figueiredo, Dominick Cruz, Jose Aldo)

and then there's a whole list of fighters who got "screwed" by the UFC and didn't get the title shot
Which current champs do you think are just a product of UFC hype and favorable matchups?

In most workplaces self marketing and connections can mean more than just your skill and results in terms of your position.

There's over a 1000 fighters on the roster, if all goes well each aside from champions and top contenders fight 3x a year. Lots get injuries before a fight, lots are booked months in advanced, it's super hard to coordinate every to be fair. Sometimes an opportunity arises and you get to skip the queue... Or you're you got such fan interest in you that you get fast tracked.
No, there's more like 700 active fighters on the roster, not a thousand

The UFC model doesn't provide fair competition or equivalent opportunities for its roster

moving up in the rankings or getting closer to the top of the division is just random and based on how much Dana likes you

this's not a competition on an even playground, every fighter gets a different path that mostly has nothing to do with his record, for example; McGregor gets an opportunity to win the belt of beating Eddie Alvarez with zero wins at lw and gets elevated 70 times more than any other lw who already beat Eddie with way more wins in the division, in the eyes of fans and media at least, just because he gets to wear a trophy belt afterwards

there's no system for this it's just random, random title shots, random #1 contenders (Masvidal vs Usman 2)

I wish the UFC was something like the PFL where all the good fighters are forced to compete against each other regularly without any drama or randomness

that's the only way belts could mean anything

It's all based on how the UFC earns it's money and they had an opportunity to change that with the ESPN deal.
With revenue based on PPVs, it's in the UFC's interest to always ensure each PPV get priority on the biggest events then FTA get lower tier fights, however they will always look for the best match ups that will result in the larger audience as that is their business model.
They had an opportunity to change it and produce more content, it would take a whole rethink from them and went partly down that way with their streaming platform, to create a season based format with media and sponsorship revenue by the season similar to NBA. The biggest difference is that individual teams rather than the organisation carry part of the cost for each match.
Another hybrid format they can look at is a season based format similar to tennis where each win is worth a certain amount of points then work to a year end final.

Re: Conor, I am actually a fan of boxing's mandatory challenger being an undisputed champion moving up or down a class ie. Usyk however not a fan if it doesn't apply in every circumstance. While the definition of undisputed doesn't carry over into Org based promotions like the UFC, they can have a format that 2-3 title defences provides the champion with an option to move up or down and be a mandatory contender for the belt.

Having said all that, they wouldn't stop what they are doing while they are making money and they would need to take a risk to then take the next step in growth worldwide.

You’re correct, in simplistic terms it’s basically the WWE without predetermining the outcomes, they can script and navigate a favored fighters career, but it’s on him/her to actually win the fights.

Since when do you have to actually win fights? That's not a thing, you've been bamboozled.

It's hilarious how out of all the guys on Sherdog who make these arguments, none of them can actually respond back and forth... they get stumped after two or three replies and just stop responding lol

There is no version of reality where they aren't whining, and complaining about how MMA isn't living up to their idealistic, unrealistic expectations

Reminds me of all the spoiled liberal kids I grew up with whining about how awful their 1st world country is, and how "you don't understand bro, my parents are ASSHOLES"

Last edited:
Back