Television The Star Trek Thread V6.0

Season 4 production uodate

Star Trek: Discovery Season 4 is currently in production and its showrunners took part in a Q&A session with Deadline’s Dominic Green following a virtual screening of seasons 3’s finale, a finale that saw Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) in the captain’s chair, Saru off to Kaminar and a few questions still lingering.

During the Q&A, the question of ‘what can we expect from Discovery season 4?’ naturally came up and Alex Kurtzman was happy to offer some small snippets of information on what our intrepid crew under the new captain might be up too in season 4.

On the Federation:

“The Federation is coming back together but is not fully back together. The continued mission of bringing other worlds in and meeting the criteria and standards of what it means to be a member of the federation but also not to rob others of their identity, is something that we will explore.”
On Michael Burnham

“Burnham, you know early on the process when we started breaking the story, developed a kinda central question, which is how does this episode (season finale) become another step in Burnham’s understanding of what it means to be a captain? So, the stories where all filtered through what is this thing she’s learning in this episode that grows, expands her perspective on that? And I do think that Burnham spent a lot of time thinking she had to be one thing or another and ended the season being rewarded with the captain’s chair for being these two different things. And Vance basically says that you don’t have to pick, you do things your way and that’s why I want you in the chair, because you’re always ultimately fighting for what’s right. And I think Burnham is going to have to keep figuring that out, she’s going to have to keep learning what that means. Her relationship with Book will be tested in many, ways for reasons that I won’t tell you.
Discovery Season 4
A New Threat

“We’re actually exploring, diving deep into science in the 4th season, in a kinda new and interesting way. Without revealing anything there, there have been many kinds of villains over the course of star trek, what happens when the villain is not actually any kind of living breathing entity but something else, how do you solve that problem? We will be dealing with some of that.”
Gray and Saru

Michelle Paradise expands on Discovery season 4 by talking some of the plot threads raised in the season 3 finale, mainly Gray being seen by Culber on the Kelpian ship and Saru’s leave of absence to Kaminar.

“The one thing that is important coming off the finale that people know, is we made a promise in the finale to Gray, in particular, Culber promises we will find a way for you to be seen. We won’t tell you how we do it, but it is important for people to know that we do pay off that story. So that is absolutely something we will resolve and Saru will absolutely be back, we can say that definitively, because at the end of season 3 he leaves to go to Kaminar and I think some people might be concerned that we’re losing Doug [Jones], but we’re not”
So, we now know that the issue of bringing Gray back, will be one of the main stories behind Discovery season 4, which is good as I feel he was really underused in season 3. The biggest take away from this for me, however, has to be the fact we are getting a new villain that is not of any form, a new kind of entity. That could be very exciting and introduce a classic Trek element to season 4

Psycho Stamets as a villain has potential too, although that likely would't last too long if they went that route.

Psycho Stamets as a villain has potential too, although that likely would't last too long if they went that route.
They won't make him a villain, but I'm guessing him and Burham will be majorly butting heads. He also will have less responsibility now, that book can also use the spore drive. They should make him first officer, and just have him questioning Burnham at every turn.

Babylon 5 got an HD Version:

https://www.space.com/babylon-5-remastered-streaming-amazon-itunes-hbo-max

Why not DS9? Cannot cost more than a couple millions
It can be done, and should. CBS really did spare no expense on the TNG restoration and were disappointed in the Blu Ray sales. But these days the process is much cheaper and faster with computer machine learning upscaling. I always thought CBS All-access was dumb for not giving DS9 and Voy the HD treatment and making that the exclusive streaming service to carry it.

It can be done, and should. CBS really did spare no expense on the TNG restoration and were disappointed in the Blu Ray sales. But these days the process is much cheaper and faster with computer machine learning upscaling. I always thought CBS All-access was dumb for not giving DS9 and Voy the HD treatment and making that the exclusive streaming service to carry it.

I'd guess though part of the reason why we havent seen a cheaper remaster might be because they want to keep the potential for a TNG style restoration in reserve, if the CBS service looks to focus on it or maybe someone like Amazon come in and want to spend serious money on it.

It is often the way that these kinds of properties end up in limbo not just because nobody cares about them but because their being treated as an asset meanwhile something with arguebly less marketability ends up being released first, we've seen it wtih a lot of UHD disks.

Last edited:
It's a shame B5 is a compromise at 1080, due to the CG being stuck at 4:3 SD. The previous remaster, using 16:9 (some cropping and/or reframing for the CG), was pretty good. This new one goes back to the 4:3 TV broadcasts, just prettier.

I'd guess though part of the reason why we havent seen a cheaper remaster might be because they want to keep the potential for a TNG style restoration in reserve, if the CBS service looks to focus on it or maybe someone like Amazon come in and want to spend serious money on it.

It is often the way that these kinds of properties end up in limbo not just because nobody cares about them but because their being treated as an asset meanwhile something with arguebly less marketability ends up being released first, we've seen it wtih a lot of UHD disks.
I'm more hopeful now that Paramount and CBS are back together. They are going to do a huge push for Paramount+, and they need content. Star Trek is their biggest IP, and they make massive money still from syndication worldwide, and even bigger, Streaming rights. Star Trek is available on most of the streaming services. TNG and Voyager frequently still make the most watched lists according to netflix. Hopefully, they figure out a way to either justify the cost of HD remaster, with either new streaming deals made, or they make it exclusive to Paramoun+. Hell I know I would even buy the blu ray if they were offered.

It's a shame B5 is a compromise at 1080, due to the CG being stuck at 4:3 SD. The previous remaster, using 16:9 (some cropping and/or reframing for the CG), was pretty good. This new one goes back to the 4:3 TV broadcasts, just prettier.

Although I'd say B5's style of FX probably wouldnt suffer THAT much from being upscales, it was always more focused on simpel eye catching designs and colours rather than detail. Even when DS9 went CGI it retained more of the style of detailed model work I'd say.

Last edited:
Although I'd say B5's style of FX probably wouldnt suffer THAT much from being upscales, it was always more focused on simpel eye catching designs and colours rather than detail. Even when DS9 went CGI it retained more of the style of detailed model work I'd say.
Check out the DS9 documentary, what we left behind, to see the job they did up converting DS9. It looks fantastic. One of the original cgi artists said at the time, they way over built the ships, so they could easily be upgraded to 1080p with a little work.

I saw a Stargate SG1 episode where Rene Auberjonois played a bad guy.
He was pretty convincing.

Strange new Worlds, starts filming February 15th in Toronto.
Is this still a thing? I read that Picard S2 shooting has now been delayed for the second time (first January, then February, now no new date annonced).

Is this still a thing? I read that Picard S2 shooting has now been delayed for the second time (first January, then February, now no new date annonced).
Yeah Strange new Worlds starts filming in a week.

Word is they delayed Picard, until Patrick completed his Covid vaccine. He filmed himself waiting in the lines and getting the shot like 2 weeks ago, so he should get his final dose anytime. Jeri Ryan just did an interview and said they should be starting up this month.

I'm sure the covid protocols on the sets must be insane. I think I read that Kurtzman said it's costing like over half a million dollars extra per episode, for the covid precautions, and health care staff.

Yeah Strange new Worlds starts filming in a week.

Word is they delayed Picard, until Patrick completed his Covid vaccine. He filmed himself waiting in the lines and getting the shot like 2 weeks ago, so he should get his final dose anytime. Jeri Ryan just did an interview and said they should be starting up this month.

I'm sure the covid protocols on the sets must be insane. I think I read that Kurtzman said it's costing like over half a million dollars extra per episode, for the covid precautions, and health care staff.

Well yeah, I guess they will have to hire health & safety experts, sanitize sets all the time, etc. - shoots will inevitably take longer and cost more.

I guess that is also bad news for some Season 1/2 series on Netflix, because that will push some with borderline KPIs over the brink.

I just realized I bought the McCormack Picard book for Kindle many moons ago.

@sverre054 do you know if it is worth my time?

Well yeah, I guess they will have to hire health & safety experts, sanitize sets all the time, etc. - shoots will inevitably take longer and cost more.

I guess that is also bad news for some Season 1/2 series on Netflix, because that will push some with borderline KPIs over the brink.
I've seen several shows already have their renewals revoked, which fucking sucks for all involved. The only show I watched that suffered that was Stumptown.

I just realized I bought the McCormack Picard book for Kindle many moons ago.

@sverre054 do you know if it is worth my time?
I enjoyed it. I actually thought it really added to my enjoyment of Picard. It gives alot more insight into what's happening.

Only thing that sucks is the old books are basically "legends" now. Most the books going forward are going to be considered full Canon

Kurtzman said in an interview that it took them a few weeks on season 4 of DSC to figure out how to film with covid protocols, but now they are going at a good pace. He thinks that SNW and Picard will actually film pretty quickly now, and that only Picard will really be delayed, since it was suppose to start filming in June.

Back