The Road to Wing Chun applied in Combat Sports

Damn, anatomy or body mechanics does't changes if it is name x or y or even worshiped pro boxing.
I had posted just because kime is proper in this video and I really do not care, does forum users think, a KK, pro boxing or KB or MT blow might work if handled out.

Spacetime, Sweden's gyms are with too poor ventialation?
Denmark does have a lot of beautifully ventilated boxing gyms.

Certain parts of Martial arts forms created MMA , but the martial arts world is bigger than MMA.
Let me bang bro is an ancient philosophy that predates Abrahamic religions and led to the discovery of Pythagorean theorem, language, art, and modern science

Scholars say this way of life banged fire into existence in the paleolithic era..

Let me bang bro is an ancient philosophy that predates Abrahamic religions and led to the discovery of Pythagorean theorem, language, art, and modern science

Scholars say this way of life banged fire into existence in the paleolithic era..
even animals know this truth. it is the GOAT fighting philosophy...:D

LeftVariableElephant-size_restricted.gif

So what is the benefit of learning WC, when you could focus on say boxing and simply jabbing your opponent and escaping.

Dealing with jabs from WC approach

Also, I never trained martial arts to 'jab and escape' I train to hit people with power strikes.
If someone wants to do that they don't really want to fight so I suppose that separates boxing from WC also. It's a different mindset.

Also, I never trained martial arts to 'jab and escape' I train to hit people with power strikes.
If someone wants to do that they don't really want to fight so I suppose that separates boxing from WC also. It's a different mindset.
It's one thing to push your hardest, and then there's being an idiot with an ego

If you're on the ropes/wall with minital space you're not going to overpower someone from there, (no different that trying to out power and out strike someone when stuck on bottom mount) jab out to a better angle and deliver better strikes from there is more practical then trying to turn a ruler into a hammer. Also in the vid, the "boxer" throws sub-par strikes, all arm, stiff, and leaning with his head in. Hell, doubling up with different timing doesn't seem like something he covered and that's box 101

Dealing with jabs from WC approach

I'm probably one of the most open minded to other martial arts guys on this forum.

Any martial art is applicable to fighting if you dig hard enough. Some more so than others. Additionally all martial arts are intertwined someway or another. I have studied WC a bit online. I feel that some of the hand trapping would carry over to MT as a big part of elbow fighting involves hand trapping. About 18 years ago I had a MT coach say the same thing to me, so this idea is nothing new to me. If had the chance to meet and train with a WC I would like to, and learn what I can from him. That being said, I feel WC practicality pretty much ends there. Take what's useful and reject what's useless. WC has a little useful and a lot of uselessness.

I take this viewpoint with an open mind, and 20 years of MT experience that involves training, fighting, and coaching.

Since the argument is always made that WC is for "the streets" or as sherdog calls a "real fight"....I'll go ahead and be a douche and mention that I have been in plenty of street fights. I have been knocked out in the street by someone with brass knuckles and I have also had someone try to stab me. I have been in fights with baseball bats. I have also been jumped and have to fight from my back while on the ground.

I don't feel WC would have helped me in any of these situations.

I have never seen a WC guy hit harder than any boxer either.

The only thing the world has seen from WC is it fail when its tested. Until it proves itself, the world will not change its view. It has had just as long if not longer than any other martial art to prove itself, maybe even longer than some, and it has not. So it is not because there is a lack of grand masters or what not.

The only thing WC has going for it, is that Bruce Lee was a practitioner of it. Bruce Lee is the greatest martial artist of all time like Mike Tyson is the greatest movie star of all time. Bruce was a martial artist and he could definitely fight, but hes a movie star, no different than chuck Norris who also can fight and is a movie star. Mike Tyson is one of the best fighters ever, and he can also act.

Its cool that you want to open people's eyes to it, there's useful stuff in there, but it fails as a whole.

We have yet to see someone show it actually being effective, meanwhile other martial arts that get lumped into the same category as bullshit such as karate for example have had guys like machida prove its effectiveness....not so with WC.

TKD is something most the tuff mma guys and combat sports shit on...but high level TKD guys are very dangerous. And they have proven it.

It's a don't tell me show me....and every attempt WC has made at showing has failed miserably.

The only thing it has going for it is that one of the best martial artist movie stars was a advocate of it.

And to emphasize how open minded I am, I am open to tai chi, and feel there are benefits to it that can carry over to fighting, and again this opinion that I have formed is based off a lifetime of martial arts with fighting experience both in and out of the ring.

The basic blocks in WC may work but the follow up strikes are stuff for the movies. 1 hand trap and 1 punch, not 10 slipidy slaps that open yourself up for any sort of follow up punch by your non compliant attacker

I'm probably one of the most open minded to other martial arts guys on this forum.

Any martial art is applicable to fighting if you dig hard enough. Some more so than others. Additionally all martial arts are intertwined someway or another. I have studied WC a bit online. I feel that some of the hand trapping would carry over to MT as a big part of elbow fighting involves hand trapping. About 18 years ago I had a MT coach say the same thing to me, so this idea is nothing new to me. If had the chance to meet and train with a WC I would like to, and learn what I can from him. That being said, I feel WC practicality pretty much ends there. Take what's useful and reject what's useless. WC has a little useful and a lot of uselessness.

I take this viewpoint with an open mind, and 20 years of MT experience that involves training, fighting, and coaching.

Since the argument is always made that WC is for "the streets" or as sherdog calls a "real fight"....I'll go ahead and be a douche and mention that I have been in plenty of street fights. I have been knocked out in the street by someone with brass knuckles and I have also had someone try to stab me. I have been in fights with baseball bats. I have also been jumped and have to fight from my back while on the ground.

The only thing the world has seen from WC is it fail when its tested. Until it proves itself, the world will not change its view. It has had just as long if not longer than any other martial art to prove itself, maybe even longer than some, and it has not. So it is not because there is a lack of grand masters or what not.

The only thing WC has going for it, is that Bruce Lee was a practitioner of it. Bruce Lee is the greatest martial artist of all time like Mike Tyson is the greatest movie star of all time. Bruce was a martial artist and he could definitely fight, but hes a movie star, no different than chuck Norris who also can fight and is a movie star. Mike Tyson is one of the best fighters ever, and he can also act.

Its cool that you want to open people's eyes to it, there's useful stuff in there, but it fails as a whole.

We have yet to see someone show it actually being effective, meanwhile other martial arts that get lumped into the same category as bullshit such as karate for example have had guys like machida prove its effectiveness....not so with WC.

TKD is something most the tuff mma guys and combat sports shit on...but high level TKD guys are very dangerous. And they have proven it.

It's a don't tell me show me....and every attempt WC has made at showing has failed miserably.

The only thing it has going for it is that one of the best martial artist movie stars was a advocate of it.

And to emphasize how open minded I am, I am open to tai chi, and feel there are benefits to it that can carry over to fighting, and again this opinion that I have formed is based off a lifetime of martial arts with fighting experience both in and out of the ring.
High level TKD guys are athletic beasts, a trait thats very well sought after as a candidate when crossing over to other disciplines

Except that what you are describing is simply regurgitating cliches and is not true.

WC 'fails' because people don't spar. Those guys who supposedly represent WC are usually hobbyist level. Even if some have been doing it for years since they don't spar they usually can't make it work live.

There is a video posted earlier on this thread of WC working in MMA. I post it again here.
So there are example of WC working in MMA now sorry. It is has been tested, and it is has proven itself.

And that is CLASSIC close range Wing Chun there.
Will it resemble some of MT or boxing at times ? Yes, because we have two arms and two legs, there is overlap but the core base they are using is Wing Chun.

So what is the difference with these guys who have proven WC to work, vs the majority of embarrassing 'wc' fighters out there? They actually train live and spar like a combat sport.

Don't kid yourself that your system is fundamentally better when it is your (live) training methods that are better is all.

As for your street experiences - not sure how much of martial art is good against multiple opponents or weapons.

I have always said WC needs to be paired with a grappling style as all primarily standup styles do.
For weapons though WC is considered better than boxing for example since they actually train weapons (knives and long pole) and they also train with barefist in mind so there are plenty of grabs and transitions that are readily adapted to weapons.
This is why historically there is a connection between WC and proven weapons styles like Escrima.

Your statements about Bruce are also fairly clueless and ignorant.

He was a pionoeer in the US before your were even born, of an early version of MMA. He was ''martial arts" to millions and he brought together top names from the era to cross train, be it Karate guys or catch/Judo guys like Gene Lebell.
Him being an actor is what allowed him to do this so well and be a focal point.

So for you to say he is 'just a martial arts actor' is a huge misrepresentation. He was a prelude to US MMA, with a Wing Chun base.

You can see even from the 70's guys doing good drills with pads and movement and light and heavy sparring of different styles and techniques with and without weapons- a precursor to the Martial arts boom including MMA that we see today.

In short Wing Chun is a much deeper, more comprehensive base than what you are used to seeing and if trained properly and live it can work in a variety of situations including 1 vs 1 standing combat sports.

Last edited:
There is a video posted earlier on this thread of WC working in MMA. I post it again here.
So there are example of WC working in MMA now sorry. It is has been tested, and it is has proven itself.

Will it resemble some of MT or boxing at times ? Yes, because we have two arms and two legs, there is overlap but the core base they are using is Wing Chun.

That's not Wing Chun. That's classic Team Quest dirty boxing from the single collar tie clinch, which is essentially straight out of the old bare knuckle boxing manuals.

High level TKD guys are athletic beasts, a trait thats very well sought after as a candidate when crossing over to other disciplines

Yeah, and dudes will wreck your average untrained person. Spinning axe kick to the dome you don't mess with zohan style

Don't kid yourself that your system is fundamentally better when it is your (live) training methods that are better is all.

Well you know, if you have an ideology that somehow always seems to consistently produce bad training methodology, there's probably something wrong with the ideology.

Last edited:
Except that what you are describing is simply regurgitating cliches and is not true.

WC 'fails' because people don't spar. Those guys who supposedly represent WC are usually hobbyist level. Even if some have been doing it for years since they don't spar they usually can't make it work live.

So what is the difference with these guys who have proven WC to work, vs the majority of embarrassing 'wc' fighters out there? They actually train live and spar like a combat sport.

As for your street experiences - not sure how much of martial art is good against multiple opponents or weapons.

I have always said WC needs to be paired with a grappling style as all primarily standup styles do.
For weapons though WC is considered better than boxing for example since they actually train weapons (knives and long pole) and they also train with barefist in mind so there are plenty of grabs and transitions that are readily adapted to weapons.
This is why historically there is a connection between WC and proven weapons styles like Escrima.

Your statements about Bruce are also fairly clueless and ignorant.

He was a pionoeer in the US before your were even born, of an early version of MMA. He was ''martial arts" to millions and he brought together top names from the era to cross train, be it Karate guys or catch/Judo guys like Gene Lebell.
Him being an actor is what allowed him to do this so well and be a focal point.

So for you to say he is 'just a martial arts actor' is a huge misrepresentation. He was a prelude to US MMA, with a Wing Chun base.

You can see even from the 70's guys doing good drills with pads and movement and light and heavy sparring of different styles and techniques with and without weapons- a precursor to the Martial arts boom including MMA that we see today.

In short Wing Chun is a much deeper, more comprehensive base than what you are used to seeing and if trained properly and live it can work in a variety of situations including 1 vs 1 standing combat sports.

You don't know my age so you don't know whether bruce is my era or not.

The guy was a movie star and a martial artist. Bruce was amazingly fast and strong for his size. His concepts were revolutionary at the time, as in train more styles than just one. I have read the Tao of jeet kune do, have studied bruce and was a big fan boy at one point.

Additionally I trained under a man who was Dan inosantos daughter's first long term boyfriend, which is where he learned martial arts, jkd and escrima.

One of my muay thai coaches learned martial arts at inosantos first gym in Torrance back in the day prior to moving to Thailand for MT.

Bruce is famous for his movies, concepts, and philosophies, not his fighting ability. Don't get me wrong of course the guy can fight. But he would be destroyed by guys like Canelo, ggg, Tyson, dekkers, etc. Bruce fan boys think the guy is a invincible ninja, he is not. Calling bruce the greatest fighter or what not is like calling Tony jaa a great MT fighter....I'm sure the guy can fight, but hes a movie star not a MT fighter. Bruce is no different than Norris minus the concepts, philosophy, and amazing speed and strength.

Funny that you mention WC and knife fighting, as I was going to say the same. A parry and all those slipidy slaps are more applicable to knife fighting. Although even with knife fighting, a lot of the fancy stuff is BS. Given I have had someone try to stab me, I speak from experience.

Your argument of practitioners being at hobbyist level without sparring, is simply re-wording there are no grandmasters around. For a martial art older than boxing, they have had plenty of time to develop grandmasters, more so than many other martial arts. At the very least we should see some beyond hobbyist level as you claim. This defense of yours is null.

I can give you a fair shot that since we only have 2 arms and 2 legs, techniques will overlap, however anytime we see this with WC, it is usually WC "reaching" to grasp onto something from another martial art as its own... at the end of the day, there are so many ways to punch and kick and there's also only so many ways to swirl your hands around like a ninja.

The reason we don't see a ineffective martial art being used in combat sports is no one is going to go out and try some BS
When it's their life on the line.

Your advocacy for WC tells me you most likely have no combat experience. I'm sure you can argue this with whatever you want, but I won't believe it.

What's the name of the Chinese dude that smashed all the grandmasters of bullshitdoe? Wait a second I thought there were no grandmasters? There were and they all got exposed.

Look dude, you have to man up and except that for the most part its BS...I'm a MT and I can admit that muay boran is more BS than legit, and krabi krabong At least what it is today is total bs and for the movies.

That or keep living in denial

Also dude, if your truly a bruce Lee advocate, you would recognize that applying his concept of take what's useful, reject what is useless and add what is uniquely your own to WC, such as I have done with it.

Last edited:
Well you know, if you have an ideology that somehow seems to consistently produce bad training methodology, there's probably something wrong with the ideology.

No it's just cause everyone that does it sucks at......not because WC sucks lol

That's not Wing Chun. That's classic Team Quest dirty boxing from the single collar tie clinch, which is essentially straight out of the old bare knuckle boxing manuals.
No, that is Wing Chun.
Those guys train Wing Chun and they do it live. The range and the control you see comes from chi sau.
Also the so called 'collar tie' exists in WC, it is actually the second move of the wooden dummy form, where they grab and tie the neck of the dummy. So it is pure WC in application

However, even if it was from Greco, who says it can't be integrated. Everyone is integrating everything these days. You think we're not going to as well? Hell yeah we are.
We will use WC as the base art and the close range skill and then integrate additional aspects from whatever works to increase the range and improve clinch work, but the core will remain WC.

You're just not used to seeing what Wing Chun looks like when trained and sparred and actually working.
This is what it looks like in combat sports, not ip man movies.

You're just not used to seeing what Wing Chun looks like when trained and sparred and actually working.
This is what it looks like in combat sports, not ip man movies.
Then why bother going for the niche of it then?

If the the top creme of the crop only trains a certain way and it ends up being basically generic MMA/KB, why bother looking aside from having a love for the culture of it? If we are looking at just pure pragmatic competing and fighting, hundreds of modern combat sport places are available everywhere (major city or small town); To find the rare golden goose WC gym(s) that have a similar style and approach to modern stuff means the prices will be higher than normal.

So.... why do all that effort researching where these unique rare group of WC gyms are, when the pages 1-5 on google has 10-50 gyms of boxing, KB, MT, and MMA available and for standard market prices?

You don't know my age so you don't know whether bruce is my era or not.

The guy was a movie star and a martial artist. Bruce was amazingly fast and strong for his size. His concepts were revolutionary at the time, as in train more styles than just one. I have read the Tao of jeet kune do, have studied bruce and was a big fan boy at one point.

Additionally I trained under a man who was Dan inosantos daughter's first long term boyfriend, which is where he learned martial arts, jkd and escrima.

One of my muay thai coaches learned martial arts at inosantos first gym in Torrance back in the day prior to moving to Thailand for MT.

Bruce is famous for his movies, concepts, and philosophies, not his fighting ability. Don't get me wrong of course the guy can fight. But he would be destroyed by guys like Canelo, ggg, Tyson, dekkers, etc. Bruce fan boys think the guy is a invincible ninja, he is not. Calling bruce the greatest fighter or what not is like calling Tony jaa a great MT fighter....I'm sure the guy can fight, but hes a movie star not a MT fighter. Bruce is no different than Norris minus the concepts, philosophy, and amazing speed and strength.

Funny that you mention WC and knife fighting, as I was going to say the same. A parry and all those slipidy slaps are more applicable to knife fighting. Although even with knife fighting, a lot of the fancy stuff is BS. Given I have had someone try to stab me, I speak from experience.

Your argument of practitioners being at hobbyist level without sparring, is simply re-wording there are no grandmasters around. For a martial art older than boxing, they have had plenty of time to develop grandmasters, more so than many other martial arts. At the very least we should see some beyond hobbyist level as you claim. This defense of yours is null.

I can give you a fair shot that since we only have 2 arms and 2 legs, techniques will overlap, however anytime we see this with WC, it is usually WC "reaching" to grasp onto something from another martial art as its own... at the end of the day, there are so many ways to punch and kick and there's also only so many ways to swirl your hands around like a ninja.

The reason we don't see a ineffective martial art being used in combat sports is no one is going to go out and try some BS
When it's their life on the line.

Your advocacy for WC tells me you most likely have no combat experience. I'm sure you can argue this with whatever you want, but I won't believe it.

What's the name of the Chinese dude that smashed all the grandmasters of bullshitdoe? Wait a second I thought there were no grandmasters? There were and they all got exposed.

Look dude, you have to man up and except that for the most part its BS...I'm a MT and I can admit that muay boran is more BS than legit, and krabi krabong At least what it is today is total bs and for the movies.

That or keep living in denial

Also dude, if your truly a bruce Lee advocate, you would recognize that applying his concept of take what's useful, reject what is useless and add what is uniquely your own to WC, such as I have done with it.
Ok that's some good experience you have there.
So you're talking about starting with Ron Balicki with JkD?

Yes, WC methods are suited to knife fighting although I would agree that the whole idea of what works in knife fighting is dubious much of the time but the consensus experts in that area are the Filipino arts and they have field tested some of it. If you have as your base philosophy that what works empty hand should work with weapons you would be drawn more to the WC approach. Who's to say that wasn't even part of its origins or where it got it's 'reality' reputation?
I'm pretty sure the development of the style was from an era where weapons were carried and this is more realistic than beach fights in Brazil.

You seem to forget that martial art became martial sport not the other way around.

And I never said Bruce was some kind of fighting god he was a legit martial artist and pioneer who people have only recently started ragging into with the rise of MMA in the last few years as though that disqualifies him, actually it was what he wanted.

And I literally just posted a vid of WC working as a base combat art.
So no need for denial we have proven video evidence now which supports the logic and power of the style from practicing it.
No doubt there will be more in future.

And there have been well known WingChun grandmasters most famous was Bruce's main teacher Wong Shun Leung (Yip man was only technically his teacher).

Some grandmasters are not fighters (at least not in a sporting sense) but can train them.

You honestly think tkd is more practical than WC is delusional.

Back