The Official "How do you feel now that you eat good?" Thread.

King Kabuki said:
Eh that's a bit of exaggeration and I think you know it.

But if you want to be nit-picky fish DO graze on seaweed (being the general term for oceanic plants/grasses). True the ecology for such organisms is different, but the ocean is a different ecosystem altogether so it's useless arguing semantics. Fish graze and eat greens available to them, that much is true.

Not really, Algae don't bear seeds, have rudimentary root structure (if at all), and ancestral organelles. They're in between what we would consider true plants and monerans/protists. The only things they have that most people recognize as plant like features are cell walls and chloroplasts, neither of which are Plantae specific. Hell, "seaweed" and "kelp" aren't even Plants, they're technically protists. But, this is really damned pointless, lol, I just wanna feel like my years studying Biochem weren't wasted. :redface:

But, seriously, what "grazing" fish do we eat? All the fish I can think of that we eat are predators, except for maybe sardines or anchovies, and those are freakin' nasty.

Dude, chickens are predators, too. They eat worms and bugs mostly in the wild. But in the thread where someone asked "do chickens eat grass?" the answer is yes. Chickens don't seek out grass to eat and munch on mini-salads. They eat grass as they're rooting for their prey. But the eating of the grass is what fortifies the meat with omega's. A lot of the fish we eat have the same characteristics, not that they seek out specifically oceanic vegetation over being carnivorous primarily, but that they end up eating a lot of it to be efficient as predators.

But some do graze specifically.

Carp:

Grass carp are fairly unique in that they eat live plant matter with pharyngeal grinding teeth, on which they will feed continuously at the proper temperatures, consuming several times their body weight in grass per day.

I'm also pretty positive some members of the Mackerel and Snapper families eat plants, and Tilapia have been used to control plant species in many ecosystems because of their preferences for oceanic plants.

Difference between then and now... now when I eat bad food I feel like complete crap.. not only mentally but physically too.. before it would just be a mental thing.. now my body almost rejects junk food.

Carp eat anything. I used to fish for carp with corn flakes. They're also boney as hell and they taste like shit.

"...and Bacon is a lot nicer since he cleaned up his diet and cut out the carp fishing."

bacon said:
Carp eat anything. I used to fish for carp with corn flakes. They're also boney as hell and they taste like shit.

Catfish do too. Then again, I don't eat much Catfish, unless I'm eating thai food.

Salmon, Tuna and the other big marine fish are all carnivores, hence the high Omega-3 and mercury content.

Well like I said as vast as the Mackerel and Snapper families are I'm positive there's some omnivores in there. And actually I think the omega content in the meat doesn't come as much from the other fish they eat, but that in that the fish the eat are eating plants. I have yet to see an animal that doesn't get omegas from chlorophyll. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'd REALLY like to know of other sources for animals having omega content in their meat. I'm pretty sure no fish are eating walnuts or almonds. lol

I love catfish. Never eaten a carp, aren't they essentially a goldfish?

Tilapia is my new favourite though.

King Kabuki said:
Well like I said as vast as the Mackerel and Snapper families are I'm positive there's some omnivores in there. And actually I think the omega content in the meat doesn't come as much from the other fish they eat, but that in that the fish the eat are eating plants. I have yet to see an animal that doesn't get omegas from chlorophyll. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'd REALLY like to know of other sources for animals having omega content in their meat. I'm pretty sure no fish are eating walnuts or almonds. lol

I've always heard the omega-3 content in the bigger fish are all really, really high compared to the smaller fish, mainly from accumulation and body fat%, but also based on diet. Wild Salmon has a diet that's almost entirely smaller fish, and they supposedly have super duper (tm) high Omega-3 levels, while their farm-raised brethren have pathetic omega-3 levels because they're fed processed fish feed and grain.

This gives me an idea though, and I think I might be on to something. I'm gonna buy copious amounts of flaxseeds and feed them to a family of lab rats, with the occasional salt lick supplement. I'll then feed the lab rats to a cat. After the cat has gotten properly plumped and marbled, I'll skin it and make myself some cat steaks for dinner. Then, I'll measure my blood born Omega-3 levels to see if there's an increase.

Smashius Clay has a couple cats you can use...

talking.dingo said:
What happened to this thread??

Its off the rails.

What're you talking about? I think my Omega-3 enhanced Cat Meat diet is the next big innovation in wellness.

Reading this thread while eating my albacore tuna with some mustard. MMmmMmmm

This gives me an idea though, and I think I might be on to something. I'm gonna buy copious amounts of flaxseeds and feed them to a family of lab rats, with the occasional salt lick supplement. I'll then feed the lab rats to a cat. After the cat has gotten properly plumped and marbled, I'll skin it and make myself some cat steaks for dinner. Then, I'll measure my blood born Omega-3 levels to see if there's an increase.

Gold, you are an asset to this forum.

Also this thread is excellent. Again, not since BFNM and I's debate about the actual efficacy of corn in Native American diets has this forum seen the level of discussion going on now, especially of that regarding the efficacy of predatorial omega-3 content leading to a possibility of eating cats. Think about how much poverty and hunger that could end. Omega-3 enhanced cat meat sent to the Sudan, and America MORE than has a cat overpopulation problem. Two birds with one stone if you ask me.

Catch ya later.

I'll be other there in Bareknuckle where the conversation makes some sense....

King Kabuki said:
Omega-3 enhanced cat meat sent to the Sudan, and America MORE than has a cat overpopulation problem. Two birds with one stone if you ask me.

And if they let me hunt cats with my bow, I'd be in heaven.

Catch ya later.

I'll be other there in Bareknuckle where the conversation makes some sense....

You just said OT makes more sense than D&S.

I should ban thee.

And if they let me hunt cats with my bow, I'd be in heaven.

You ever seen the flick "Gummo"...? If not do so, you'll love it.

And don't even get me started on the hunting issue. Fucken' PETA and people with their moralizing. Ever heard my theory on WHY we have cat overpopulation problems? Not just that people keep animals as their little affection slaves meanwhile circumventing the actual bonds that COULD exist, but somewhere along the lines we've given dogs the impression it's wrong to hunt and eat cats. Disgusts me. I've seen people sue people because one of them's dog ate the family cat. Fuckin' nimrods, dogs are SUPPOSED to hunt cats, that's the way it works.

Dingo, I like ya and all, but don't even make me start linking references to the wonderously intellectually stimulating threads that get started in OT. Heads might explode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back