The narrative that Volk has slowed down is bogus

Ilia would've beaten a 33 or 30 year old Volk as well. He's just better.

But at 35 Volk still slowed down

I dont know what the stat is up to now 2-29 fighters at 35+ in title fights between the 125-170 weight class.

Vegas might actually start putting a cap on how much you can bet on a title fight involving a 35 year old if these numbers keep up.. that is as mortal lock as it gets in pro sports.
Unless the 35+ year old is facing another 35+ year old fighter

More the age (of course age is a factor, it as ts pointed out, it hasn’t been a long span since Volk wrecked Yair), based on what Volk recently said, I think the mental part was a considerable factor. Volk said he was basically battling with himself because he wanted to fight the way he does, but he was fighting with apprehension of getting ko’d again. That mental conflict in a firefight is enough to cause a mistake that an opponent can capitalize on.

Everyone is different, but all people have lost a little by 35. Guys like Lebron can spend a million a year on fitness and nutrition, but he is noticeably slower pushing 40.

xaging-decline-balance-strength-cardio-endurance.jpg.pagespeed.ic.QYcy5VNO88.webp

It's not a matter of whether he would have eaten the haymaker at any point in his career, it's whether it would have landed. He backed up in a straight line like 10 feet into the fence standing straight up with his chin hanging out while he was being chased by a guy head hunting with like 5 full power punches. No circle, no level change, no clinch, just overreached on a jab then backed straight into the fence. Volk did look a little slow, but also unsure of himself and backed up way more than he did before he got decapitated at LW.

I thought Volk looked sharp in the 1st round vs Ilia. Fast leg kicks. Good movement. Precise & calm. It was just 1 year ago when Volk took Islam to a very competitive decision. And only half year since Volk wrecked Yair.

That right hook from Ilia would have put Volk down at any point in his career, regardless whether or not he took enough time off after 2nd Islam fight. Saying Volk has slowed down is not giving credit where it is due. Ilia landed only 3 leg kicks in the 1st round but all were very damaging to the calf, and his hands are fast and very powerful.

It is a bit concerning that Volk seems so adamant about getting a rematch. Volk would be well served taking some time off to recover.
Felt the whole first round Ilia was going to catch him. Volk would have probably been a little faster earlier in his career, but I honestly think Ilia is a generational talent. Just crazy Aldo, Holloway, Volk, and now Tuporia are same division. Ilia could have won any point tbh. Volk that fought Mendes would have had better chance.

I thought Volk looked sharp in the 1st round vs Ilia. Fast leg kicks. Good movement. Precise & calm. It was just 1 year ago when Volk took Islam to a very competitive decision. And only half year since Volk wrecked Yair.

That right hook from Ilia would have put Volk down at any point in his career, regardless whether or not he took enough time off after 2nd Islam fight. Saying Volk has slowed down is not giving credit where it is due. Ilia landed only 3 leg kicks in the 1st round but all were very damaging to the calf, and his hands are fast and very powerful.

It is a bit concerning that Volk seems so adamant about getting a rematch. Volk would be well served taking some time off to recover.
To be honest yeah I do tend to think Illa beats Volk at any point in his career, prior to this I don't think Volk had to deal with someone who could hang with him but also had really devistating KO power. Max has always been more of a volume puncher which I think plays into Volks game.

Volk looked pretty sharp and fast to me but you could tell he was afraid of the KO power he was facing right from the start and was trying to keep Topuria off of him.

Are you 35 yet?

He fought the whole fight like he realised as soon as he got caught it was game over.

I’m not criticising his approach or claiming to know better but there was a demonstrable vulnerability there.

Happens to the best fighters. He’s had a great run.

Age had nothing to do with it and Volk looked good in the first.

Topuria was basically a way better version of Chad who wasn't going to retire with a loss and had no cardio after almost finishing Volk in the first.

No version of Volk was gonna beat Topuria. If it was the Volk that fought Chad, he still would have gotten KOd.

Volk looked good. He showed no signs of physical or mental decline. The problem for him is that his game has been figured out. Islam showed in the rematch that Volks entire game falls apart if his feints dont get respect. Topuria followed the same strategy of calculated pressure, back him to the fence and unload a bomb.

IMO he needs to take more risk, sit down on his shots, and look to hurt his opponents early. No more point fighting, cardio battles.

I said before the fight, I like Ilia's chances. Having said that, it can't just be a coincidence that at 125-155 in UFC title fights, fighters age 35 & up have never once won while being the older fighter. Even if you include 170, its only been done once where the 35 & up fighter was the older fight (Tyrone vs Till). Even that win hasn't aged well, as Till immediately went on to lose 4 of his next 5 & be cut (lost 5 of 6)

It isn't an opinion that he's slowed, it's a fact.
Nobody can defeat father time, not even the great Volkanovski.

Topuria is a monster and credit to him for beating the best Featherweight the sport has ever seen fair and square, however, to try and argue Volk is at his peak still is complete ignorance or denial.

I just think when you're younger you can be more dynamic in your setups. Volk can apply his offense at the frequency and speed he needs to get through like he used to. The thing is he doesn't have that split second adjustments younger fighters can do and land huge counters. At lower weights, the speed is so crazy that your reaction time needs to be incredible to deal with your defense, which is why older guys last longer the heavier the weightclass.

Volk is still experienced, well rounded, and more skills than most people, but his problem is that striking is his main game. You see wrestlers last longer than strikers age wise because if you can get the opponent to the ground you don't need to worry about reflexes as much, but also wrestler's bodies tend to break down sooner from the intense training. MMA is a sport for the young and once you're in your 30s you can lose a step at any time.

I dont think Volk at any age should be favored over Ilia.

I said this before the fight, Volk is hittable, fights with his hands down, and occasionally gets lazy with his defense. Ilia on the other hand is a disciplined boxer who can end the fight with every punch, and on top of that is a naturally strong guy with a grappling background.

Stylistically just a really bad match-up for Volk.

Topuria gave me A All time great vibe when he dispatched Hall
Me aswell

I said that night this guy is a nightmare for anyone

We all started to root against him when he went wwe heel … but i see through it now - he’s playing the role

He’s Forreal ! - that finishing ability at that weight is unheard of …. Most hated Volk for being a boring point fighter years ago - we grew to love him caz he’s real and elite ….. top is a next level killer for that weight - appreciate it

Don’t see Evloev or Ortega having any chance at all …. Max is only interesting fight because his chin has proven uncrackable and that reach …. After max no1 at fw has a chance

Volk fought hesitant and scared of Topuria power. A prime Volk wouldn’t get bullied that badly. He would go in and get dropped or rocked, but not put out backing up like that

Back