The narrative that Volk has slowed down is bogus

taugrim

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I thought Volk looked sharp in the 1st round vs Ilia. Fast leg kicks. Good movement. Precise & calm. It was just 1 year ago when Volk took Islam to a very competitive decision. And only half year since Volk wrecked Yair.

That right hook from Ilia would have put Volk down at any point in his career, regardless whether or not he took enough time off after 2nd Islam fight. Saying Volk has slowed down is not giving credit where it is due. Ilia landed only 3 leg kicks in the 1st round but all were very damaging to the calf, and his hands are fast and very powerful.

It is a bit concerning that Volk seems so adamant about getting a rematch. Volk would be well served taking some time off to recover.

I thought he looked good, great even, but his chin is cracked, and Ilia hits like lightening.

A cracked chin implies he would have previously survived the shots that put him out. At no point in his career was he going to eat a headkick or a punch like that he didn't see coming that snapped his chin that much.

His reflexes and fight iq weren’t as good. He’s 35 and was just knocked out months before which leads you to getting KOd more easily.

But that shot that landed would KO anyone

I thought Volk looked sharp in the 1st round vs Ilia. Fast leg kicks. Good movement. Precise & calm. It was just 1 year ago when Volk took Islam to a very competitive decision. And only half year since Volk wrecked Yair.

That right hook from Ilia would have put Volk down at any point in his career, regardless whether or not he took enough time off after 2nd Islam fight. Saying Volk has slowed down is not giving credit where it is due. Ilia landed only 3 leg kicks in the 1st round but all were very damaging to the calf, and his hands are fast and very powerful.

It is a bit concerning that Volk seems so adamant about getting a rematch. Volk would be well served taking some time off to recover.
No, his reflexes and vision weren't there at all. Volk used to have some of the best spacial awareness in the game, he looked off in this one. I think Volks bad (perceived) decision making has been in response to his own awareness of his physical decline.

No, his reflexes and vision weren't there at all. Volk used to have some of the best spacial awareness in the game, he looked off in this one. I think Volks bad (perceived) decision making has been in response to his own awareness of his physical decline.

it's like the actual winner had no merit at all...
waiting for an unbiased Volk's reign retrospective.

Maybe topuria is just that good

I think that’s more likely

15-0 with 13 finishes says that he Fkn cracks!
Pretty much yeah, the dude can fucking bang, that shot drops 95% of the FW division.

That said Volk is unquestionably more susceptible to the KO since Islam, there is no getting around that. Volk should hang em up imo, nothing left to prove.

it's like the actual winner had no merit at all...
waiting for an unbiased Volk's reign retrospective.
I'm a Max Holloway fan, this win created an opportunity. No biased eyes here, just truth telling.

Prime Volk wouldn’t have backed up the way he did, he would have maybe used wrestling to get out of the situation and wouldn’t have put himself in a position to eat that shot. Even in the first round it looked fairly clear to me that he’s slowing down.

No one lasts forever at the top and he’s one of the best to ever do it so I hope he knows when it’s time to call it.

He's been rocked and dropped in several fights at this point. It happens to him. He doesn't have a granite chin. Idk if he can't beat Topuria, but I'd favor him vs. Evolev.

I call the short notice fight against Islam a stupid mistake. Hell, even the decision to move up and challenge the Lw champ wasn’t a good idea in the first place and the decision not to take enough time off and fight against a heavy handed in Topuira was even worse.

He hasn’t suddenly slowed down he just lost to the better fighter. It’s volk fans trying to justify and cope with his loss. And ilia is that good

I doubt hes changed too much from a year ago in terms of reflexes etc, but its probably easier to switch his brain off with a good shot now than it was before Islam did it.

For what it's worth, ilia himself said he was very surprised by how fast volk was and how hard he was to hit.

Personally, I do think he's slowed a bit, but not much. The real change I saw in volk was his approach. He fought like a guy that was worried about getting knocked out. His defense was weird. Where was his high guard? where was his constant feints at all levels? For some reason he was backing out with his hands out and chin up like he thought he was sean strickland or something. It was weird.

Also, about Volk recovering -- He released a video saying he plans on recovering and that ilia can fight someone else in the mean time if Ilia plans to make a quick turn around. He does expect to fight for the belt when he comes back after a break, though.

He's actually getting faster as he ages

I dont know what the stat is up to now 2-29 fighters at 35+ in title fights between the 125-170 weight class.

Vegas might actually start putting a cap on how much you can bet on a title fight involving a 35 year old if these numbers keep up.. that is as mortal lock as it gets in pro sports.

Back