Movies The Empire Strikes Back is the greatest sci fi movie of all time

what's up with all the autists claiming it isn't 'science fiction'? if it's not science fiction neither is 99% of science fiction, including pretty much all the stuff that codified the term 'science fiction' decades before a new wave of nerds (inevitably) tried to redefine it to make themselves sound smart-alecy were even born.

bUt ThE fOrCe IsN'T rEaL LoL sO iT's FaNtAsY

@Jose Beehive

read and learn son

what's up with all the autists claiming it isn't 'science fiction'? if it's not science fiction neither is 99% of science fiction, including pretty much all the stuff that codified the term 'science fiction' decades before a new wave of nerds (inevitably) tried to redefine it to make themselves sound smart-alecy were even born.

bUt ThE fOrCe IsN'T rEaL LoL sO iT's FaNtAsY

Space operas are a sub-genre of science fiction, just not a very high brow one.

The term is derived from soap operas, which is where the requirement for singing disappeared.

They usually fall somewhere in the vast gulf between Blade Runner and The Jetsons.

@Jack Handy jr
Did you deliberately put all that in a quote of my words? Confused... Anyhow.

I'm not debating whether its a great film, or anything about the soundtrack.... I agree an Opera it is not.. A Space Opera it is though.

You guys have Guiding Light right? What genre is that? a Sci Fi lol.

You should do some research on your favourite film buddy.

I was a kid during the initial Star Wars hype. I was never a big nerd for the franchise like a few of my friends and relatives but I did like it.

Empire as the greatest sci-fi flick of all time? Probably not. I think Alien is a better pure sci-fi movie.

I think the single thing that makes it really difficult to rate it the greatest sci fi movie ever, is the fact it's really only half a movie which doesn't work as a standalone.

The empire comes back, luke gets his hand chopped off and runs away. Without the sequel it has no payoff. If you're rating them on individual merit, I think I'd rate the first film higher as it's the only one that works as a self contained story.

Was*

It’s been surpassed a hundred times over. Great story though.

Just watched it for what I’m guessing is close to the hundredth time over the past thirty years.

the Combat scene on Hoth
giphy.gif

Han out flying the tie fighters in the asteroid field
FreeSinfulIbex-max-1mb.gif

the best light Sabre battle in all the Star Wars films
333856a6481186d0ceebcdcb8259e94a.gif

the classical music score throughout that I’m sure made me smarter as a wee lad

and the most iconic line in any movie sci fi or other wise in “I am your father”....(chills typing that)
AbleTastyHartebeest-small.gif

So what sci fi movie realistically tops Empire strikes back?

it is a fantasy movie not scifi....but it is damn good.

You have been my go to for years on all things Star Wars mick.

the only thing I’d disagree with you on is the percentage split of how much Star Wars is more fantasy over being more sci-fi imho I’d put it at 65/35

and Star Trek had the Q continuim and DS9 had the pa wraith so star trek dabbles with fantasy or “magic” if you will also

anyway I’m watching Return of the Jedi tonight...the mandalorian has recharged my love for good star wars vehicles
There is a theory out there that the Q Continuum isn't "magic" at all. They are us. They are humans from the future. They have strict rules about time travel, and about what is permitted to be done in the past.

It's objectively very well made, but I only really love the first SW movie. The whole Vader redemption does nothing for me, the dude just watched a whole planet got blown up. Fuck that cunt. In my mind, in sequels he was just some order following dope that got his from Luke. Yeah and Leia wasn't his sister.

Space operas are a sub-genre of science fiction, just not a very high brow one.

The term is derived from soap operas, which is where the requirement for singing disappeared.

They usually fall somewhere in the vast gulf between Blade Runner and The Jetsons.

I mean even the original Starwars I think you could point to it being rather anti establishment, the Empire could really pass for the US military industrialist complex or the British Empire as much as it could the Nazi's or the Soviets but with ESB I do think you have a film that definately moves beyond cheap thrills.

Again I think ESB isnt just a more entertaining film that something like Interstellar it does have more substance to it as well. Nolans film might references alot of grand ideas but it never really commits to giving them much depth IMHO and the drama is often rather sappy and unearnt. Empire does really commit to undermining Luke's simplistic ideals of heroism and does build the Han/Leia romance really well.

I don't consider whether something is "sci fi" or not to really be very important as to how good it is.

It's not even regarded as Sci Fi by many Sci Fi fans and the director himself lol .. Fun movie but not even close to reaching Blade Runner levels.

EDIT: Also the famous line is a common Mandela Effect so a lot of people get it wrong cos he says “No, I am your father." not "Luke, I am your father"

Fun factoid.

Nelshon Mandela voiced Darth Bader

AI is better science fiction

Empire is better movie

Yeah ESB is the goat. It has everything.

Also they're in space fighting battles with spaceships, lasers, and laser swords. GTFO with the "it isn't sci-fi" hair splitting nonsense. It's sci-fi.

It's about a world where science has altered our ability to get from planet to planet, and poetically explores the way sentience interacts with gravity.

I don't see why sci-fi has to explain the details of nano fiber wires or the time it takes to get a message from a moon to a meteor. It can, it doesn't have too.

I guess "hard sci fi" has to do stuff like that in order to earn the moniker but we define sci fi usually by making space or time travel easy and not much else and it works pretty well imo. Everyone gets what you're saying.

Back