Movies The Empire Strikes Back is the greatest sci fi movie of all time

Yup, I’m a late millennial.

I saw clone wars in a theatres and shit, but it wasn’t my cup of tea. The Matrix was the first sci to movie that sucked me in. I was at some kind of a week long soccer tournament, on my own, just passing time. And this guy I was hanging out with was like “wait you’ve never seen the movie?!?” Popped it in, said “enjoy the journey”. 3 hours later my mind was fucking blown. I went home and found every sequel and similar movie and spent that whole summer trying to watch as much as I could.

I wasn’t sucked into Star Wars like that. It’s just preference man. Like I said, I don’t think it was terrible or anything I just think it’s one of those films that sits on a throne of nostalgia.

big up for the honesty but are kids going to look back at Avengers age of ultron with nostalgia me thinks not ...first matrix maybe

It's not even regarded as Sci Fi by many Sci Fi fans and the director himself lol .. Fun movie but not even close to reaching Blade Runner levels.

EDIT: Also the famous line is a common Mandela Effect so a lot of people get it wrong cos he says “No, I am your father." not "Luke, I am your father"

Blade Runner is a great artsy film bra but it'll put most people to sleep.

If the nostalgia makes the film more important to you, that's fine. The film isn't as good as the others in my opinion, however. I also think the three movies I mentioned are more re-watchable and have much better action.

okay you like sci fi that’s all pew! pew! Boom shishhh! That’s fine I like marvel films too bro it’s the aforementioned eye and ear candy along with the perfect casting and acting that made ESB so great

Terminator 2, the Matrix and Predator all take a dump on this movie, which is still the best Star Wars movie there is.

I'll agree with T2, but you're really pushing it with predator and matrix. Matrix ripped off so much other material I actually lost a ton of respect for it and as for predator.... I loved it but it's not on the same tier Imo.

Dis shitz better
tenor.gif

<Neil01>

big up for the honesty but are kids going to look back at Avengers age of ultron with nostalgia me thinks not ...first matrix maybe
Of course not. But that’s arguably the weakest movie in the franchise.

I don't know about it being scifi, and I don't know that it's the best fantasy film. But I love ESB. It's in my top 5 favorite films.

Seriously a great movie. I just love everything about it. The atmosphere, the jokes, the action. It's all great.
It is one of a handful of films, I could genuinely have on the TV over and over again in the same day. Jumpin' Jack Flash another one.

It's certainly in the Top 5, and probably Top 3.

What sets it apart from the rest of the Star Wars movies is its small-scale character-driven narrative, rather than the 'Destroy the giant planet-destroying space station that no less than three of the other movies use.' I'd say only Episode 3 is its equal, or damn close to it.

As far as other SciFi movies, if there's two I would say are better, its Aliens and Terminator 2. But still saying Ep5 is 3rd behind only those two movies still is the highest of praise.

1. Aliens
2. Terminator 2
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Predator

Camerons Take on Ridleys Aliens is hard to argue...if some one wanted to go with Aliens I wouldn’t fist fight about it

for me and the nerds in my household we will always go with Empire strikes back

I'm entirely with you on this being one of the greatest movies in film history, but I'm among those who regard Star Wars as fantasy, not Sci-Fi. Star Trek is Sci-Fi. Star Wars is fantasy with a sci-fi-ish theme. It shits on Lord of the Rings in the fantasy subgenre.

No movie has been more influential over the past half century. Ironically, in the opinion of the generation of elite countercultural American filmmakers for whom this was their crowning achievement, this has been to the detriment of cinema.

Blade Runner hasn't been as profoundly influential on all film, but it has on its own subgenre of Sci-Fi. I was recently reading a review of the failed YouTube Red series, Origin, and the review had a line that went something like, "...and in accordance with the unwritten law that every Sci-Fi made since Blade Runner has to look at least a little like Blade Runner..." I nodded my head. It's unbelievably cool, too, how it achieved this otherworldly effect that was so sui generis it is now completely the opposite of sui generis. Because the interior building where the toymaker's home is which the cyborgs adopt as their own is, in fact, arguably the most filmed building in the history of major motion pictures. It's a famous historic hotel. Watch the astonishing documentary Los Angeles Plays Itself to see this. It's awesome. You'll immediately recognize you've been seeing the same space over and over and over throughout your life without realizing it was always the same space. I now find myself finding it in other films not shown in the documentary. I look for it in new films.

You have been my go to for years on all things Star Wars mick.

the only thing I’d disagree with you on is the percentage split of how much Star Wars is more fantasy over being more sci-fi imho I’d put it at 65/35

and Star Trek had the Q continuim and DS9 had the pa wraith so star trek dabbles with fantasy or “magic” if you will also

anyway I’m watching Return of the Jedi tonight...the mandalorian has recharged my love for good star wars vehicles

The heavy planet with two feet of water was meant to demonstrate how seemingly close a planet can be to earth, and yet, not even really come close.

We had the Big Bang with dinosaurs and shit right ? Well, these dudes were too close to the blackhole so they had that several times over which created this tundra of a planet where waves were fucking huge because a bunch of shit crashed into it. Plus this was just pretty fucking cool to see on the big screen
tenor.gif
Now I want to rewatch Interstellar thanks

I'll agree with T2, but you're really pushing it with predator and matrix. Matrix ripped off so much other material I actually lost a ton of respect for it and as for predator.... I loved it but it's not on the same tier Imo.

And it's still a better movie. It may not resonate with some or be as seminal to others due to age groups, but the Matrix had so much shit stolen for it, that it makes up for your point, imo.

okay you like sci fi that’s all pew! pew! Boom shishhh! That’s fine I like marvel films too bro it’s the aforementioned eye and ear candy along with the perfect casting and acting that made ESB so great

T2 is nothing but explosions? Both Alien and Aliens are better than ESB. Handily, Handy. I just forgot to mention them in my post last night.

LOL
You realise words can mean more than one thing?

Can your brain Bear the concept that Bears exist or can't you Bear the thought of that?

can your brain comprehend a definition?

An opera MUST have singing as the primary melodic component throughout ...a film’s musical score utilizing classical music in which ESB is scored is not an opera.or as you put it “space opera” lol

Sir... without the definition I provided you... most intelligent people already know this...even given the definition you still try to offer a silly defense to your assertion that Empires Strikes back is a space opera. Smh

just stop while you’re behind

what's up with all the autists claiming it isn't 'science fiction'? if it's not science fiction neither is 99% of science fiction, including pretty much all the stuff that codified the term 'science fiction' decades before a new wave of nerds (inevitably) tried to redefine it to make themselves sound smart-alecy were even born.

bUt ThE fOrCe IsN'T rEaL LoL sO iT's FaNtAsY

can your brain comprehend a definition?

An opera MUST have singing as the primary melodic component throughout ...a film’s musical score utilizing classical music in which ESB is scored is not an opera.or as you put it “space opera” lol

Sir... without the definition I provided you... most intelligent people already know this...even given the definition you still try to offer a silly defense to your assertion that Empires Strikes back is a space opera. Smh

just stop while you’re behind
<Huh2>

The Creator defined his own project as that, that's not how I put it, that's how the creator puts it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera

^ "The term has no relation to music, as in a traditional opera, but is instead a play on the terms "soap opera","
{<BJPeen}

<Huh2>

The Creator defined his own project as that, that's not how I put it, that's how the creator puts it...[/QUO

Wow you can post silly faces to try and add salience to your silly point lol

btw I disagree with Lucas’ description (if he did) that Empire Strikes Back is an Opera

It’s a great film

with an equally great classical score throughout

But an opera it is not.

If I ever get the honor of meeting him we can argue that characterization of Empire at that time.

Back