Movies The Empire Strikes Back is the greatest sci fi movie of all time

I disagree with GL’s characterization of the Star Wars movies as a “space opera”

I mean... there’s literally no operatic moments in any of the films now we all know there’s classical music but no opera singing

and I’d consider Lord of the Rings in the fantasy genre..not Star Wars. though of course there’s some fantasy elements with the force in all. but still way more sci fi than fantasy

so to reiterate George is wrong
A Space Opera doesn't have to contain Opera lol.. You can read Space Opera's with no sound... "A novel, film, or television programme set in outer space, typically of a simplistic and melodramatic nature."

<36>

most will disagree with those three in comparison to Empire strikes back for rewatch ability,nostalgia, action, emotion there’s none better

If the nostalgia makes the film more important to you, that's fine. The film isn't as good as the others in my opinion, however. I also think the three movies I mentioned are more re-watchable and have much better action.

It might. If you can explain the multidimensional ending with the book shelf.
The answer to the equation they were trying to solve was unattainable because the only way to answer it would be to go into a black hole, which is typically thought of as suicide. By getting sucked into the black hole he is experiencing something that no one else has really experienced. They discussed relativity, gravity, and it’s impact on time through out the movie, and when he gets sucked into the blackhole, they took a creative twist on what could be there. Personally, I thought it was a clever twist and they tied it into the plot nicely. The “oh shit” factor was in bootable, but yeah it felt out of place given how seemingly grounded in reality the rest of the movie felt. I’m curious what alternate endings they had.

most will disagree with those three in comparison to Empire strikes back for rewatch ability,nostalgia, action, emotion there’s none better

Honestly though, those three movies kick some real ass, even if they are a shelf or two below TESB.

I'm just gonna piggyback on this and complain right now that I had a TESB coffee mug. The cover was the original movie poster. It was hot as shit and got a chip in it. I blame my shitty girlfriend. If I had to pick between a pure mug and her with a chip, or that mug with a chip and an unblemished her, there is not a single version of the universe where I don't pick that beautiful mug restored to its pristine form......

always hated Billy dee Williams as a kid after this scene

fett.gif

The answer to the equation they were trying to solve was unattainable because the only way to answer it would be to go into a black hole, which is typically thought of as suicide. By getting sucked into the black hole he is experiencing something that no one else has really experienced. They discussed relativity, gravity, and it’s impact on time through out the movie, and when he gets sucked into the blackhole, they took a creative twist on what could be there. Personally, I thought it was a clever twist and they tied it into the plot nicely. The “oh shit” factor was in bootable, but yeah it felt out of place given how seemingly grounded in reality the rest of the movie felt. I’m curious what alternate endings they had.

He's inside a fucking bookcase, like what the fuck. I just don't get it.

Also, why a heavy planet with only two feet of water? Just cuz? Maybe that's all we can handle as humans: just cuz.

Edit: a bookcase? Seriously, though?

He's inside a fucking bookcase, like what the fuck. I just don't get it.

Also, why a heavy planet with only two feet of water? Just cuz? Maybe that's all we can handle as humans: just cuz.

Edit: a bookcase? Seriously, though?
The heavy planet with two feet of water was meant to demonstrate how seemingly close a planet can be to earth, and yet, not even really come close.

We had the Big Bang with dinosaurs and shit right ? Well, these dudes were too close to the blackhole so they had that several times over which created this tundra of a planet where waves were fucking huge because a bunch of shit crashed into it. Plus this was just pretty fucking cool to see on the big screen
tenor.gif

@Madmick

bro...help me school these youngins.

I’m thinking a lot of you guys are going to disagree with me for arguments sake all the PhD level geeks in the berry surely I’m not the only one that knows ESB is the greatest ever...

and the first person that Mentions Avatar gets their geek credentials suspended

To be fair though I think the arguement that sci fi is a genre of cinema is itself pretty questionable. I spose you could argue it could have been viewed as such in the 50's and early 60's when it implied a certain kind of film more often and perhaps thats why its reffered to. SInce then though I think you have clearly many different kinds of films, dramas, thrillers, horrors, comedies, etc that all use that setting.

So arguing over whether Starwars is a sci fi setting or not seems much less important to me, if you wanted to argue the films merits then perhaps the better arguement would be whether its well made cinema with intelligence and dramatic weight to it. I mean Blade Runner, people don't generally think thats a great film because it provides us with a direct warning to the evils of making slave robots in the future, they think its a great film because its well made, has strong drama to it and uses that setting to say something about humanity, mortality, religion and slavery.

You look at Empire and I think it is clearly a well made film and whilst it does spend a good deal of time looking to entertain its also I think quite an intelligent film. Its a story of Luke's simplistic and egotistical idea of what heroism is being undercut by Yoda and Vader(and even earlier in the film we see him more vulnerable) plus you could argue a bit subversive at the time in terms of Leia ultimately being the one saving Luke and trying to save Han rather than the reverse.

I think thats actually alot of the reason The Last Jedi was so hated, it tried to claim Starwars had been merely simple heroism previously and indeed that it has been sexist, neither of which were true. It has moral complexity to it previously and unlike the Last Jedi it had the guts to stick to its story.

Last edited:
The heavy planet with two feet of water was meant to demonstrate how seemingly close a planet can be to earth, and yet, not even really come close.

We had the Big Bang with dinosaurs and shit right ? Well, these dudes were too close to the blackhole so they had that several times over which created this tundra of a planet where waves were fucking huge because a bunch of shit crashed into it. Plus this was just pretty fucking cool to see on the big screen
tenor.gif

That was sick wave!

Such a good movie. I need a book to explain all this shit to me.

That bookcase though, bro. That's kife.

A Space Opera doesn't have to contain Opera lol.. You can read Space Opera's with no sound... "A novel, film, or television programme set in outer space, typically of a simplistic and melodramatic nature."

<36>

i disagree with the silly notion of an opera not having any semblance to an opera
."

<36>

To be fair though I think the arguement that sci fi is a genre of cinema is itself pretty questionable. I spose you could argue it could have been viewed as such in the 50's and early 60's when it implied a certain kind of film more often and perhaps thats why its reffered to. SInce then though I think you have clearly many different kinds of films, dramas, thrillers, horrors, comedies, etc that all use that setting.

So arguing over whether Starwars is a sci fi setting or not seems much less important to me, if you wanted to argue the films merits then perhaps the better arguement would be whether its well made cinema with intelligence and dramatic weight to it. I mean Blade Runner, people don't generally think thats a great film because it provides us with a direct warning to the evils of making slave robots in the future, they think its a great film because its well made, has strong drama to it and uses that setting to say something about humanity, mortality, religion and slavery.

You look at Empire and I think it is clearly a well made film and whilst it does spend a good deal of time looking to entertain its also I think quite an intelligent film. Its a story of Luke's simplistic and egotistical idea of what heroism is being undercut by Yoda and Vader(and even earlier in the film we see him more vulnerable) plus you could argue a bit subversive at the time in terms of Leia ultimately being the one saving Luke and trying to save Han rather than the reverse.

I think thats actually alot of the reason The Last Jedi was so hated, it tried to claim Starwars had been merely simple heroism previously and indeed that it has been sexist, neither of which were true. It has moral complexity to it previously and unlike the Last Jedi it had the guts to stick to its story.

So you agree?

So you agree?

One of the best films in a futuristic looking setting? yes.

Its also both a better and a more weighty film than Interstellar, as with a lot of Nolans that throws some high concept ideas around but doesn't really have much weight to them IMHO

I mean if I asked you what Interstellar is about what would you say? really I think its a father/daughter story that doesn't challenge the audience much and depends too much on plotting for its drama. With Empire its a story about growing up and realising the difference between egotistical ideas of heroism and black/white morality and the more complex and harsh reality of life.

Last edited:
i disagree with the silly notion of an opera not having any semblance to an opera
."

<36>

The Italian word opera means "work", both in the sense of the labour done and the result produced. The Italian word derives from the Latin opera, a singular noun meaning "work" and also the plural of the noun opus.

125885768_10158600933037199_870133025593233093_o.jpg

Back