The 3 best BJJ fighters of all time are now...

Agreed. Jacare would probably be a fairly large favorite, but I would still like to see either fight. I think the closest we're getting for the next while is Fitch/Maia.

I'm really looking forward to Fitch Maia. I keep thinking what if Maia goes through fitch like he did Story and I guess Kim? I like Fitch a lot but I half want Maia to take him out in the first round.

I hate stupid comments like these. They're crossing over from 2 totally different sports. It's like expecting Tyrone to tap a BB. All things considered, Jacare's striking has come a VERY long way, Roger has amazzing takedowns, and Maia is rounding out his game pretty well.

I'm not hating on them at all - I'm genuinely frustrated by it.

I fully understand the reasons why elite BJJ players who transition to MMA don't always have the best takedowns and striking etc. But regardless of the reasons, when someone with poor striking is forced to stand its unpleasant to watch. Its not that uncommon either; almost every fight on the previous Brazil TUF seemed to be 2 black belts having an amateur kick boxing match!

I hate stupid comments like these. They're crossing over from 2 totally different sports. It's like expecting Tyrone to tap a BB. All things considered, Jacare's striking has come a VERY long way, Roger has amazzing takedowns, and Maia is rounding out his game pretty well.

Well in all fairness, he isn't dismissing the fact that they come from a different sport. that being said, it is the truth. Nobody is expecting Spong to tap anybody......but if the poster said, 'great when Spong get taken down, we'll see his under developed BJJ".......he would be telling the truth.

and yeah, these guys are improving their standup, however nobody is expecting them to defeat the best strikers in their division standing.

If Maia manhandles and subs Fitch, he deserves to be the #2 contender behind Hendricks, as Fitch is still a world-class fighter, and notoriously hard to sub. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling about Maia at ww, I think he could maybe be able to impose his game on just about anyone and everyone. He just seems to be a monster at that weight. Exciting times. The Fitch fight will be epic. Jon is one of the toughest competitors out there, he'll really make Maia work, we'll see how good Maia really is in that fight.

Gracie will be able to take a few lower guys down and tap em, but I dont see him being able to take the top 10 guys down.

Not even Shogun or Lil Nog or maybe even Gus? Although they might KTFO him before then.

Edit: Forgot he went down to Middleweight... still feels weird being so tall.

This. If we're speaking of "BJJ Fighters," Werdum is absolutely top 3 for submitting Fedor in under 70 seconds.

Sorry man, thread fail.

God, there are some truly pissy little bitches on here who love nothing more than to leap on anyone who has the stones to make a thread and shout 'Thread Fail' rather than engage with what the guy is saying. So you're not going to be excited about the possibility of Maia, Jacare and Gracie fighting in the same organization then? That's the issue of the thread, not the fucking title. Clean the sand out of your clam, grow up a bit, and then discuss the subject without being an internet kid bore.

Marcelo Garcia? Romulo Barral? Braulio Estima? Xande Ribeiro? Rafael Mendes? Bruno Malfacine? Rodolfo Vieira?

I think he is aware of these guys, but hes saying best grapplers that have adapted to mma.

but yeah i say Estima, Garcia, and Xande are the tops in the world, with Galvao coming in strong to be on that list. Although, excluding Next ADCC I suspect ill drop Xande and add Galvao to the top 3 based on how well he performed at the last ADCC

You can classify them that way all you want. You can call a wrestler a fighter, you can call a BJJ practitioner a fighter, hell you can call a judoka a fighter too if we're using a broad term here. Karate guys, tae kwon do, etc. It's a wide spectrum.

OP was clearly talking about extremely high level BJJ practitioners who have real cage experience in MMA. Marcelo absolutely does not count as he's had one fight where he could get hit in the face and after failing to sub his man for five minutes got lit up so badly in the second they stopped it. Like I said, the gloves are a bitch, and a BJJ guy with no MMA experience is a poor man's Royce.

Oh by the way he's 23 and beat Braulio Estima.
This is the best BJJ practioner at the moment. If he came into MMA and knew striking... damn he'd be a monster.

I really hate comments like this. You don't just wake up one day and know striking. It takes just as much time if not more to perfect your striking game as it does your BJJ game and then there's wrestling to worry about too in MMA.

Very, very few people have high levels of both and even then they tend to favor one over the other. No one - no one - in the UFC is a master of striking, BJJ and wrestling all at once. Not Anderson, not GSP. It's not the nature of a MMA champion to be, it's their nature to have a high level of competency at all areas and shine in one.

How is Robert Drysdale not up there in the mix with those 3?

He hasn't had great MMA success yet but neither has Roger Gracie.

if you only look at BJJ, I don't know who would be the best of all time. When I've gone on youtube, I've seen some really awesome bjj matches

Back