T or F: GSP will win the stand-up against Nick Diaz.

Jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab broken orbital. That's how i see the fight going

I thought they were different weights? Diaz is small GSP is quite bulky.

GSP has a stiff Kyokushin stance with tight shoulders and next to no head movement.

His gained muscle mass has also made him slower, though he compensates for that by coordinated footwork that comes from hours of Octagon time and overall experience. Moves less than before, is more accurate with it. He used to hop around a lot, now it's more precise, but slower.

Well Nick Diaz is not exactly the Flash in the cage himself.

total fail
Nick wont fight GSP like he fought Daley and Cyborg.

the fear of the TD changes EVERYTHING

GSP will school Diaz everywhere. It will be delightful

When has Diaz ever feared a TD?

I believe GSP will tire Diaz on the ground like he did Condit and then he will have no problem winning the standup. Both Condit and Diaz have excellent cardio but GSP just has even better. It also helps that he is mostly in top position.

That being said, I don't think GSP will be fast enough and have the cardio (assuming Nick really tries to pressure him the whole fight) to be able to hang with Nick for the full 5. Diaz by 4th or 5th round armbar.

Why do people say that ? GSP just fought 25 rounds without gassing in his last 5 fights so why would this be any different vs Diaz ? When has GSP ever gassed ?

GSP has some of the best cardio in MMA bro

Jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab jab broken orbital. That's how i see the fight going

1st - you say that as if mma stand up is somehow separate from the ground game - St Pierre's stand up is enhanced dramatically by his ground game, transitions and TD's which, by the way, is a glaring weakness of Diaz's - a guy whose TD's and wrestling have always been awful and has literally no say as to where the fight takes place
2nd - St Pierre will win everywhere and he'll make it look easy - Diaz shouldn't even be mentioned in the same universe as St Pierre

I gotta agree with this. Why does Mir's striking look good vs someone like Kongo. A guy like Kongo is so afraid to go to the ground with a guy like Mir, that it leaves openings in striking defense, overcompensating for defending the takedown. Now take Nick Diaz. Notoriously bad TDD, Vs a guy who has amazing Takedowns and Submission Defense. Diaz will be preoccupied with avoing being taken down, that he ends up taking more than a few on the chin in this fight.

total fail
Nick wont fight GSP like he fought Daley and Cyborg.

the fear of the TD changes EVERYTHING

GSP will school Diaz everywhere. It will be delightful

yes he will. even when he fought wrestlers he was never scared of takedowns because of his confidence in his jiu jitsu.

Well Nick Diaz is not exactly the Flash in the cage himself.

Well, no.

He has better combos though, and that does tend to be the decider if both try to take the center. I have a hard time seeing GSP fight like Condit did. He'll probably rather take him down once Nick starts throwing.

GSP will win the jabbing war for sure. He will win the fight too with little to no problems.

When has Diaz ever feared a TD?

You would have said such a thing about Nate before the Bendo fight too, Im sure.

And obviously Nate fought with the TD in the corner of his mind, it showed, he got badly outstruck by Bendo.

The same will happen to Nick. If he DOESNT fear the TD at all well he'll leave himself badly open to TD's and GSP will take him down at will so the fight wont be standing long enough to see Nick dominate from there. In a way or the other, he WONT dominate GSP standing.

True. GSP will also take him down.

I think GSP will actually choose to keep the fight standing and only take it to the ground if he feels threatened

GSP would beat Diaz in a pure boxing match. He hits way harder, has better defense, is way quicker, has a more diverse style, can adapt better.

Of course this isn't a boxing match it's an MMA fight, so Diaz will have to worry about GSP having better kicks, he will constantly worry about getting taken down, he will be overpowered in the clinch.

True, the takedown threat is too much for Diaz to get his striking game going.

I cant see how Nick is going to win this fight, it blows my mind that so many people think he will. I have never been a fan of him and I think his brother is a better fighter, and a more likable person(Im almost a fan). Well GSP by tko or doctor stoppage

You would have said such a thing about Nate before the Bendo fight too, Im sure.

And obviously Nate fought with the TD in the corner of his mind, it showed, he got badly outstruck by Bendo.

The same will happen to Nick. If he DOESNT fear the TD at all well he'll leave himself badly open to TD's and GSP will take him down at will so the fight wont be standing long enough to see Nick dominate from there. In a way or the other, he WONT dominate GSP standing.

Fearing the TD is pointless against GSP. Nick's guard is the reason why he doesn't fear takedowns.

Nate lost his sight partially in the 1st round. He was cautious of taking more damage to that eye, waiting for it to recover.

Nate doesn't even matter. Nick and Nate are not the same fighter. Gomi busted Nick's eye up and he kept coming forward regardless. Daley almost finished him, Nick came forward. Noons made a mess of his face, again, Nick pressed on.

Nick's just tougher than Nate, as tough as they come. There's a lot of footage of that.

Back