Squat, Bench, Deadlift, China Buffet, Repeat

Thanks guys. Slept like 11 hours last night and I'm not feeling too sore today so hopefully Friday goes well. I just need to eat a bunch of food today.

Texas Method - Week 7 - Day 3 - 12/3/10
Weight: 240

Squats
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 2
*Belt*
275 x 1
325 x 1
385 x 1 +20 PR

Bench Press
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 3
175 x 1
215 x 1
245 x 1 +15 PR
255 x Fail (Spotter touched the bar)

Deadlift
135 x 3
225 x 1
315 x 1
*Belt*
385 x 1
445 x 1 +20 PR
455 x Fail

Chinups
BW x 6
BW x 5
BW x 5

Comments:
Pretty decent day. The squat was hard. I mean, really hard. I am pretty confident that the depth was at least parallel but I really wish I had a camera. Next time I'm going to record or at least get someone to look at it just for reassurance. I would hate to get up to 405 only to see I'm like an inch high or something.

Bench went ok. 215 felt a bit heavy so I decided to go with 245 first, which wasn't too hard. 255 was going well enough until the spotter (Who had his hands 5 inches under the bar the whole time) touched it. He said he didn't take any weight off but he still touched it so I'm not going to count it. I could have been a bit tighter overall but not too bad.

I was pretty drained by deadlifts. Got 445 without too much trouble or back rounding, but I just couldn't get 455 more than a few inches off the ground. Maybe if I was fresh I could have got it but just not today. Chinups to finish went well enough.

I'm happy enough with today. I got some PRs and I'm happy I played it conservative a bit on bench and deadlift. I am starting to get worn down but I'm gonna keep it up until I stall. My upper back in particular has been really sore lately, and today my hips are a bit sore as well. Once I go back to Washington next week I should be able to focus more and get a bit more rest and stretch this run out as long as I can.

Also, I really don't want to go much past 240. Eventually I want to be back down in the 220s but I'll cross that road when I get to it.

You are smoking me man, nice work. You got me by 10lbs on my squat and 30lbs on bench. Nice work man texas method is turning you in a beast.

Thanks man, but I think it's closer than you think. You're beating me in deadlift and overhead!

Woo! Sweet work! Really killing it!

And meh on the weight :p It can always come off later!

Texas Method - Week 7 - Day 3 - 12/3/10

Squats
385 x 1 +20 PR

Bench Press
245 x 1 +15 PR

Deadlift
445 x 1 +20 PR

Comments:
Pretty decent day.

Yeah 55 lb of PRs is decent I guess :) Great work!

Texas Method - Week 8 - Day 1 - 12/6/10

Squats
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 2
275 x 1
*Belt*
310 x 5
310 x 5
310 x 5
310 x 5
310 x 5

Press
Bar x 8
65 x 5
100 x 2
*Belt*
130 x 5
130 x 5
130 x 5
130 x 5
130 x 4 + 0

Rows
205 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5

Dips
BW+35 x 5
BW+35 x 5
BW+35 x 5
BW+35 x 5
BW+35 x 5

Comments:
This workout was brutal and exhausting. Squats took so much out of me. I was taking 7 minutes in between sets towards the end and I was still getting my ass kicked. The last set was a real grind and I collapsed to my knees afterwards I was breathing really heavy.

I really thought I was gonna have the press this time. I should have had the last rep, I don't know why I didn't get it. I rested after the 4th rep which was a mistake and then I tried to get the last one up but I just didn't have it. I was stuck for like 5 seconds with bar halfway up. I'm confident in getting it next time but that'll be the 4th week I would have tried 130 for 5x5. Any suggestions on this?

I was really tired after the press but rows went well still, much better than last week. They felt much more explosive and I didn't use as much hip drive as last week. Dips went well but my left shoulder felt really sore afterwards. I'm not sure if it was a form issue or not but it hurt to lift my left arm up. It's not too bad right now, I'll see how it feels tomorrow.

So I'm going back to Washington on Wednesday and I'm gonna do the recovery workout on Thursday and intensity workout on Saturday. That extra day off will help a lot I think.

Damn good squatting.

For the press, I wouldn't let it bother you too much. You're doing it after some heavy ass squats dude. It shouldn't be surprising that you're pretty drained for pressing. Best suggestion I can say is try to utilize the stretch reflex as much as possible on the later reps/sets. You can also try to use a bit more layback if you aren't already. Strict pressing is a hard lift for almost everybody. Don't sweat it. You're making great progress on it.

As for the dips, I have to say that they are pretty rough on the shoulders. Never had a problem as bad as you described though. It may be a form issue, maybe dropping down too quickly? I don't know.

Texas Method - Week 8 - Day 2 - 12/9/10
Weight: 238

Power Shrugs
135 x 8 (From hang)
225 x 3 (From floor here on out)
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3

Squat
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 2
*Belt*
250 x 5
250 x 5

Bench Press
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 5
175 x 2
210 x 3
210 x 3
210 x 3

Chinups
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

Comments:
This felt really easy so that's a good sign. For power shrugs I basically just mimicked a power clean up until the pull and then just did a shrug at the top. They felt pretty explosive, so we'll see how they turn out. Light squats felt good and bench went well. For chinups I went down lower after each rep than I have been doing, almost to a dead hang (I used to go down a bit past parallel) so I didn't do as many as I wanted. This is something that has been kind of bothering me for a bit but I'm not too worried about it. I'm not training for a chinup competition so as long as I feel I'm benefiting from it I'll keep it up.

So today was pretty awesome. I needed a lift off for bench and this big guy walked in who I've seen a few times before lifting very heavy and I asked him for a spot. He commented that I obviously knew what I was doing from my setup, which was a huge compliment to me because I've struggled with my bench since I started lifting 7 months ago. We talked a bunch while I was there and I spotted him on some band-assisted floor presses (He worked up to 405 x 2 which was pretty cool). We exchanged numbers and I'm hoping to work out with him Saturday for my intensity day. I'm thinking 365 x 2 for squat, 165 x 1 for press, and 425 x 2 for deadlift. I'm hoping to gain a bunch of tips and critiques from him.

I do have one worry though and that is that my squat isn't past parallel. I'm fairly confident that it is but it will be nice to have an experienced lifter there to watch it. If he says that it's good then I'm pretty confident in getting 405 before the end of the year. If it's a little high then I might have to take a step back and work on things a little. Either way I'm pretty excited for Saturday.

His name is Matthew White and he's a competitive strongman, here's a video of him deadlifting 655 which he says "Sucks for him" that I found on youtube.

YouTube - Dead lift

That video also shows the base gym where I'm working out. He also has some videos on his channel of a powerlifting meet that he did where he totaled 1790. He told me that was the only meet he has done since he's primarily into strongman and that he used a single ply suit for the squat which was loose for him but nonetheless that's pretty damn strong.

Talked to another guy at the gym today as well that's doing a TM template. Pretty cool day, this is the first time I've ever met other people that do strength training and not just random BB crap.

That's great! I love meeting other people who are into strength training. How's the shoulder feeling?

Shoulder feels fine. I'm not sure what the issue was exactly but I'll probably do a BW set of dips next volume workout and then decide from there if I should do them weighted or not since that's what spawned the pain. I actually feel pretty good right now, that extra day off was just what I needed.

Texas Method - Week 8 - Day 3 - 12/11/10
Weight: 238

Squats
Bar x 8
135 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 2
275 x 1
*Belt*
315 x 1
365 x 2

Press
Bar x 8
95 x 5
95 x 3
135 x 1
135 x 1
167 x Fail
162 x Fail
157 x 1 +7 PR

Deadlift
225 x 1
315 x 1
315 x 1
365 x 1
*Belt*
425 x 2

Barbell Static Hold
405 x 5 seconds
455 x 5 seconds
505 x 5 seconds

Landmines
Bar x 10 per side
Bar x 10 per side
Bar x 10 per side

Comments:
Today was a pretty cool day. Worked out with Matt White (He's on week 5 I believe of the coan/phillipi deadlift routine) which was awesome. On my squat I wasn't really sitting back enough so he helped me with that and it made a big difference. The top set of 365 x 2 was tough but I could have maybe got a 3rd rep, and he said the depth was good on all of my reps.

Press didn't go as well as I had planned but I still got a PR. I counted the collars towards the total weight since they weigh a pound apiece so with that logic I got a 7 pound PR. Form was good, just didn't have it in me to put up 165 (Or 167 I guess).

Deadlift went well. He gave me good tips on stuff that had been slipping my mind or I haven't been doing correctly like squeezing my glutes as the bar passes my knees and tensing up on the bar before the pull ("Taking the slack out of the bar"). I had some back rounding on the top set so that's something I need to work on but overall I'm happy with it.

We had some time afterwards so he had me do some static holds to see where my grip was and taught me how to do some landmines since he noted my core was one of my weak points from my squat. Afterwards I went over to his house and he showed me his strongman setup which was pretty sweet, he has a bunch of stones, a yoke, some farmer's walk shit and other stuff. He also lent me the low level CoC grippers. My grip was pretty shot by then but I could close the #1 with my right hand and almost close it with my left hand so at least I have somewhere to work from.

Good day overall. I want to get some videos of my squat and maybe rows on Monday/Tuesday depending on when I do the next volume workout. I'm hoping to lift more with Matt as our schedules allow and maybe even get in with some other strong guys as I progress.

Oh, and he also talked to me a lot about nutrition. He's big into the Paleo diet since he's trying to get within Navy standards on BF and, although I'm sure it's gonna be hard for me to start right away, it's something for me to consider in the long run. I've been eating a lot but sooner or later I'm going to have to confront the fact that my nutrition sucks and if I want to keep progressing (Or more important, live a healthy life) I'll have to fix it at some point. Not that I'll ever be able to give up chinese buffets totally!

You beat my press PR and deadlift 425 for one more rep than me. nice work man you are on a serious roll, keep it up.

Good work, congrats on the press PR. Who's Matt White?

Great job on your progress. I have also gained a lot of weight on Texas Method. I'm not sure what to do regarding dropping fat. I don't want to drastically lose strength.

Texas Method - Week 9 - Day 1 - 12/13/10
Weight: 239

Squats
Bar x 8
135 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 2
275 x 1
*Belt*
315 x 5
315 x 5
315 x 5
315 x 5
315 x 5

Bench Press
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 5
175 x 2
215 x 4 + 1 Fail
210 x 5
210 x 5
210 x 4 + 1 Fail
210 x 3 + 1 Fail

Rows
210 x 5
210 x 5
210 x 5
210 x 5
210 x 5

Band Pull Aparts
Band x 20
Band x 20
Band x 20

Comments:
Pretty decent workout today. I was worried going in because my last workout was Saturday and I didn't get a whole lot of sleep/food the past few days but it was a non-issue. Squats went really well. Matt said depth was really good on each of them, and even with shorter rests (around 5 mins) between each set I was able to get them all without much trouble. I feel that sitting back more has helped a ton. He suggested that, since my core is week, I might consider loosening the belt a bit next week and keeping the weight the same to stress the core more. Something to think about. I'm confident in hitting 405 by the end of the year.

Bench didn't go as well but I'm ok with it. I'm probably splitting hairs but last week I did 210 5x5 at the fitness gym in Cali which had the small plastic collars that don't weigh anything and now I'm back at the base gym where the collars weigh 1 pound apiece so it was slightly heavier. Either way I think I'm gonna go back to 210 5x5 next volume bench workout and go from there. Form was good but I need to work on breathing better and spreading the bar apart.

Rows went well, I did them a little differently today. More hip drive was involved. Afterwards I tried some band pull aparts after I explained my shoulder issue from the dips last week to Matt and didn't do the dips today. I liked them, I think I should do more stuff like this, shoulder mobility stuff, and more stretching.

Overall I'm happy especially with my squats. Trying to milk the program for as long as I can. After I'm done with TM Matt said he was gonna write me up a more PL style program with some Westside elements so that will be fun. If I get to 405 squat, 465 deadlift, and 255 bench by the end of the year I'll be happy. Next year I want to get to 500 squat, 550ish deadlift, and 315 bench.

Last edited:
Texas Method - Week 9 - Day 2 - 12/15/10
Weight: 244 (Yikes!)

Squat
Bar x 8
135 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 2
255 x 5
255 x 5

Press
Bar x 8
95 x 5
115 x 3
115 x 3
115 x 3

Power Shrugs
135 x 8
225 x 5
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 3
275 x 2 (Grip)

Chinups
BW x 5
BW x 4
BW x 4

And for the gayness...

Cardio
10 minutes on the elliptical at medium intensity, around 145-150 heart rate according to the machine

Comments:
Pretty easy workout today, although I had some soreness in my hips, hamstrings, and my elbows. I need to start taking my stretching seriously because it's taking me longer and longer to warm up and my elbows have been a little sore lately. This might also be due to either some weakness I don't know of or inflexibility that's putting more strain on my elbows but either way stretching more would be a good idea.

Did the squats without a belt, not too hard. Press was pretty easy also, I lowered the weight a bit since I was using the exact same weight on Wednesday that I was using the previous Monday. I have a bad habit of chewing my nails and my left thumb is pretty much down to the cuticle. I was using a hook grip on the power shrugs and this was causing my thumbs to turn red and it almost looked like I had blood coming out of my left thumb which was pretty freaky haha. I switched to double overhand and didn't have the grip on the last set. I'm getting a bit too fat without increasing strength as fast to match, so chinups weren't that great.

I did a little bit of cardio. I really need to get my nutrition in order especially as my gains start to taper down. I have command PT tomorrow morning which is pretty common apparently so that should help a bit. I think at this point just cutting my diet down to 80% clean 20% garbage would lose me a bit of fat since now it's more like 80% garbage and 20% clean.

I'm optimistic for Friday (Or Saturday depending on when the workout happens). I'm thinking either 355 or 365 for a triple on squat, 230/235 for a double on bench, and 415ish triple for deadlift. Next week sometime I'm going on Christmas leave so hoping to get a temp membership for a week to the gym in my hometown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back