Squat, Bench, Deadlift, China Buffet, Repeat

Nice work. How's your form on the cleans looking? i.e do you record and watch them at the gym? I find the immediate feedback to see what you need to fix for each set is invaluable. As long as you know how they are meant to look like when properly performed that is.

Nice work. How's your form on the cleans looking? i.e do you record and watch them at the gym? I find the immediate feedback to see what you need to fix for each set is invaluable. As long as you know how they are meant to look like when properly performed that is.

Thanks toonie. I haven't recorded my power clean yet, I really should. Without seeing myself the biggest problem I know I have is getting under the bar. Some reps I bend my arms a little on the way up but that is self correcting usually because my elbows will feel like shit immediately afterwards. I'll record some cleans Wednesday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fall PRT - 10/28/10
Weight: 227 (15% Body Fat according to the Navy's brilliant rope and choke method)

Situps

Pushups

1.5 Mile Run
12:14

Comments:
I had to wake up at 5 AM this morning and run the semi-annual PRT. It sucked. It was hot and muggy outside and I was huffing and puffing the last half mile of the run. My time was about normal which was surprising considering I haven't done any cardio in the past 5 months. At least I don't have to do this again for another 6 months!

Texas Method - Week 2 - Day 3 - 10/29/10
Weight: 228

Squats
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
235 x 2
*Belt*
275 x 1
315 x 2

Press
Bar x 8
95 x 5
125 x 1
*Belt*
150 x 1

Deadlift
135 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 1
315 x 1
*Belt*
385 x 2

Chinups
BW x 6
BW x 6
BW x 5

Comments:
Great workout today despite being a little sore from the PRT yesterday. Squats felt solid; I felt I had enough left in me for one more rep. Press went up easy but I didn't push for more since I'm still new to it. Deadlift was a bit harder but I still got it. I performed more warmup sets today than I usually do to work on form. Shins were up against the bar and hips were lower which made me feel a bit weaker off the floor but made the lift much easier overall. I didn't overreach this workout but still made solid progress so I'm looking forward to Monday. I hope to make solid gains like this for at least another 2 months. Eating and sleep are in check. :D

Thanks man, I love front squats. Conversely I'm jealous of your overhead pressing. Mine is the suck right now, I gotta work on it.:icon_lol:

Texas Method - Week 3 - Day 1 - 11/1/10
Weight: 229

Squats
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
235 x 1
*Belt*
285 x 5
285 x 5
285 x 5
285 x 5
285 x 5

Bench Press
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 3
200 x 5
200 x 5
200 x 5
200 x 5
200 x 5

Rows
180 x 5
180 x 5
180 x 5
180 x 5
180 x 5

Dips
BW+27.5 x 5
BW+27.5 x 5
BW+27.5 x 5
BW+27.5 x 5
BW+27.5 x 5

Comments:
Today's workout was long and grueling. Squats were tough but not close to failing; I feel like I can always grind out the last rep no matter how much the previous sets have taken out of me. I worked hard on my arch and tightness in the bench and I think I was starting way too far out on the bench with my first sets. I gradually brought myself closer to where my eyes were pretty much in line with the bench and this felt much better. The last 2 sets were the easiest of the bunch, though still challenging. Debating whether to go for 220 x 2 (Tie my 2RM) or 225 x 2 on Friday. Rows were good even though I was exhausted by that point, nice and dynamic. Dips were fine I'm gonna stick with 2.5 pound increases each week. The whole workout including warming up took over 2 hours because of big rests on squat. Ate at the Golden China Buffet afterwards. Nomnomnom!

Fucking sweet lifting dude! I hope you ate like a king after all that volume. Good work!

Thanks man, and you bet. I ate a shitload of noodles, chicken, shrimp, mushrooms, sesame balls, broccoli beef, and a bunch of other shit. Volume Day is so exhausting, I ended up taking a nap when I got home.

How's your training looking?

Just getting back into it. Had to take 9 days off because took a nasty elbow to my rib courtesy of my brother during basketball. It hurt to sneeze or increase my IAP.

Hit the gym today for a quick work-out to see where I stand in terms of strength. Lost quite a bit of squat strength, but that's to be expected. 265 for a set of 2 was tough as fuck, sucks considering I did 275x5x5 two weeks ago. It should come back fast though, I've gone through a rib injury before.

I'm doing a full session this Wednesday, so hopefully I get all the work. Hoping for 265x5x5.

Cheers.

You'll get it. Squats suck hard coming back, especially from anything over a week I've found out. It comes back quick though. Good luck on Wednesday!

china buffet will give u dat bulk brah, good lifts and goodluck with your training

Awesome. Keep it up.

Also, that seems like quite a jump on your warm up sets on bench going from 135x3 to work sets at 200. I know I couldn't do that but if it works for you that's great.

Thanks man, and you bet. I ate a shitload of noodles, chicken, shrimp, mushrooms, sesame balls, broccoli beef, and a bunch of other shit. Volume Day is so exhausting, I ended up taking a nap when I got home.

How's your training looking?

That sounds tasty. You weren't kidding about the china buffet eh? Naps FTW.

Awesome. Keep it up.

Also, that seems like quite a jump on your warm up sets on bench going from 135x3 to work sets at 200. I know I couldn't do that but if it works for you that's great.

Thanks. Yeah next time I'm adding in another warmup at 165 or 170. 65 pounds is a bit too large of a jump on the bench.

Texas Method - Week 3 - Day 2 - 11/3/10
Weight: 231

Front Squats
Bar x 10
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 3
*Belt*
240 x 3
240 x 3
240 x 3

Press
Bar x 8
95 x 3
125 x 3
125 x 3
125 x 3

Power Cleans
95 x 4 (Hang cleans)
165 x 3
165 x 3
165 x 3
165 x 3
165 x 3

Chinups
BW x 7
BW x 6
BW x 5

Comments:
Boy am I glad today is a recovery day. I was still sore/worn out from Monday's grueling workout and I lifted earlier than usual (An hour or so after I got up). Front squats are getting challenging but still got them all. My hips were really sore. Press was ok even though triceps still felt dead from Monday. Power cleans went well for the first 3 sets but on the last 2 sets I was exhausted and they weren't as clean. I should have had another warmup set at 135 but I was pressed for time because my workout partner had to go to work. I'm probably going to keep the weight the same next week and tape them for form checks. I was fried by chinups but still managed 1 extra rep overall even with my weight steadily going up. Time for a hot bath and some stretching. I really need to stop neglecting my stretching post workout.

On a side note, I'm going to be moving to Washington this week so Friday's workout may happen Friday and it may happen Saturday depending on when I get my stuff moved. Lots of food and sleep should follow today so that I'm prepared for it either way.

Nice front squats.

May I suggest two things; (1) leg swings before squatting (got that from squatx3) really helps with the loosen the hip and it isn't quite as sore when I squat. I've been doing them for the last few sessions and it works. (2) contrast showers are like an alternative to steroids. Tremendous improvement in recovery when I do these right after the workout. Start the water with cold, its going to suck. Let it hit the major muscles used (pecs, shoulders, hams, hips, quads, glutes, lower back etc.). Sit in that for 2-3 minutes, and then switch to hot, repeat for 10-15 minutes. It's important to start with cold. I usually end with cold too because it makes me feel refreshed.

Cheers.

I do about 5-10 mins of dynamic stretching before working out and I do leg swings. I probably needed to do a little bit more today before starting. Thanks for the tip on contrast showers, I think I'll try that. The thought of cold water makes me jumpy already though haha.

I would also try hurdle steps to the side and to front and back.

Texas Method - Week 3 - Day 3 - 11/5/10
Weight: 232

Squats
Bar x 10
95 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 4
225 x 2
*Belt*
275 x 1
315 x 3

Bench Press
Bar x 8
95 x 5
135 x 4
175 x 2
225 x 2

Deadlift
135 x 5
225 x 2
275 x 1
315 x 1
*Belt*
375 x 4? 1+3?*

Chinups
BW x 6
BW x 6
BW x 4

*My grip started to give on the way up on the first rep. I had a very shitty lockout because of this and I wasn't really content with counting it. I reset my grip, took a few seconds, and then pulled 3 reps. My buddy didn't realize this as he was on my right side so he stopped taping after the 3rd rep. The video shows the first shitty rep and the second two less shitty reps, but I did a 4th rep after it cut out. Long explanation!

Comments:
I'm happy with today's workout. I've been eating like a madman so my weight has gone up by about 4 pounds since last week. Squats felt strong, I love my new belt. It took a bit to get used to how rigid it is but it provides so much better support than my old one. I didn't record the bench because it's hard to get a good angle with my buddy spotting me but 225 x 2 felt pretty easy. I'm happy with my bench form improvement even though I still need a tiny bit of work. Everything was tight, I had a good arch, and good leg drive. I explained my deadlift situation above. Overall I'm happy even though I still need improvement with my technique. My hips seem like they are still a bit high. I have been started with the bar about halfway over my foot, setting my grip, and lowering down until my shins touch the bar. Lower back might not be arched enough either... Any comments/critiques/advice? I was worn down by chinups so I didn't get as many reps as Wednesday but I'm fine with that considering the routine doesn't call for them on Fridays anyway. I just know it's a weak point and I feel I can improve them by doing them twice a week without overloading myself. All in all, solid workout!

Last edited:
You need to use YT in the tag instead of youtube and only use the part after the = in the address.

Your squats look good except I think they were a bit high. I agree with your comment about your deads, your back has a bit of rounding. Both the squats and deadlifts looked pretty easy though.

Back